External (SATA) Hard Disk Drive (eHDD) Discussions for HDPVR 630 - See post 1 - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #181 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-02-19, 09:47 PM

Well, I went ahead and tried to install it. No luck. I plug it in after hooking up the esata cable, turn it on and then do the front panel reset on the 630. It just seems to freeze. The orange lines just stop. Nothing is ever easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-02-22, 12:05 PM
Rookie

Using a Vantec enclosure with a WD AV-GP WD20EURX 2TB now. The formatting went fine, and short of a couple random receiver reboots, everything has worked well for a couple of weeks.

Now I'm getting the bad recording / broken recording symbol when I try to watch some recordings. I think these are only the ones that were on the internal HDD. Until today, I was able to watch the recordings from the internal HDD, even after the eSata drive install.

So, are these recordings all bad now?

Also wondering, is there a power-on order it I have to reboot the receiver? Do I power-on the eSata HDD, then the receiver, or vice versa?
post #183 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-02-22, 01:09 PM
Rookie

Turns out it is just 'random' recordings ... some from internal HDD, some from the eSata. What gives?

post #184 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-04-29, 08:44 PM

HDD Enclosure and HDD for 630

I'm about to pull the trigger on this combo.
What do you guys think?
Will this work ok with my Shaw Direct HDPVR 630?

Enclosure
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...9&Sku=S78-1158

HDD
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...u=TSD-2000FYYS

Panasonic TC-P65V10 65" Plasma/Sony KDL-55XBR8 55" LED LCD/Sony BDP-S350/Yamaha RX-V3800/Axiom Epic 60 - 500 (7.1)
post #185 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-06-20, 12:42 PM
Rookie

Like a fool, I bought a 1 tb Fantom GreenDrive without reading this thread first. Sadly, my 630 doesn't recognize it although it works fine with my laptop with an eSATA connection. I see a number of success stories reported in the thread so, thanks, I'll try one of those.
post #186 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-07-11, 07:48 AM

Skipping Along

I finally bit the bullet and added an external hard drive. Being less than savvy when it comes to this sort of thing, I went to the local Canada Computers outlet where their sales rep had just put a similar package together the day before for another Shaw Direct Customer. He packaged up a Seagate 2 TB drive with a Mediasonic enclosure. Took it home, plugged it in, did the reset and all is good. Went from 50 percent HD full down to 6 percent. So now I am looking for things to record!

The only issue is in regards to playback. Now that we are on the new hard drive, when I select a recorded show to playback (havent checked it with recordings on the old drive yet) it starts to play back, then after a second or two it skips about 30 seconds into the recording. Sometimes I can rewind back to the start... sometimes I can only rewind to about the 7 second mark.

I know the obvious bypass would be to start recording a minute early, however when the fall season returns and I am recording back-to-back shows on both tuners, there will be some problematic overlap issues.

Anyone else experienced this skip-forward phenomenon?
post #187 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-09-12, 07:23 PM

How is everyone eHDD's doing? If possible could some people please post their eHDD's and any kind of problems they might have encountered?

I'm looking to purchase one now and I am undecided as to which one to choose from.

Cheers!
post #188 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-09-15, 10:47 AM

meandher57 said: Anyone else experienced this skip-forward phenomenon?

Many of us have experienced this with the factory installed hard drive without an external drive prior to the firmware upgrade. Now it doesn't skip ahead during initial playback but, the playback starts late or the start of recording starts late.

I thought media drives spun continuously so there would be near instantaneous access to the drive and so a fast start to recording.
Is that true?

My computer has a solid state main drive and an HD. I put my programs on the SSD and data on the HD. The HD seems to sleep until it is accessed and takes 2 or 3 seconds to wake up.
post #189 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-10-09, 02:25 PM
Rookie

Fantom Greendrive

Anyone have any luck with the Fantom Greendrive Quad? I ordered the 2 TB version, plugged it into my 630 and did a forced reboot via the power button.

When the 630 booted back up, it saw the drive and asked whether I wanted to format it or not. I said yes, and immediately got a message saying the formatting failed.

When I go into the hardware options menu it shows that the drive is connected, but my % usage remains the same. I can try to format the drive again at this point, but I get the same "formatting failed" message.

Any thoughts?
post #190 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-10-28, 10:40 AM
Rookie

I don't know if this has been asked already, but here goes. If I put a 2tb drive inside my 630 and the drive from the pvr into an external enclosure, would the recordings be preserved?
post #191 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-10-28, 05:37 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearesislander View Post
...would the recordings be preserved?
I see no reason why not. The operating system of the 630 is capable of using hard drives up to and including 2TB, both external and internal. Both drives are treating just one big drive, in your case one whooping big storage box.

You have a good question; I suggest calling the Shaw Direct mother ship 1-888-554-7827 and find out. It would be great if you would post the answer.

BTW, It would be nice if Shaw Direct sold an HDD-all-in-one-box DVR Expander that a user could just connect to the eSATA jack on the 630.
post #192 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-10-29, 09:05 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearesislander View Post
... If I put a 2tb drive inside my 630 and the drive from the pvr into an external enclosure ...
What is the purpose of using your (320 GB?) internal HDD as the external HDD?
post #193 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-10-29, 05:22 PM

I would NOT call Shaw Direct. The last thing you want is to inform them that you will be swapping out the internal HD.

I would install the new 2tb drive and get the unit working. Then attach the old drive externally - if it asks you to format, then I guess it will not do what you want.

You can always put the old one back in again, so I would leave everything open while you test.
post #194 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-10-29, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp01 View Post
...The last thing you want is to inform them that you will be swapping out the internal HD.
Would Shaw care about the cause of a receiver dying after the receiver is out of warranty?
post #195 of 260 (permalink) Old 2014-10-30, 10:15 AM

if you have multiple receivers or pay the $2.99 (?) warranty fee, then it's never out of warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in