New Firmware Update 8.26 - See post 1. - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-15, 10:07 AM

Location: Penticton, BC, SC 505 HD, Westinghouse 32" HD LCD Widescreen, Yamaha RVX3800, eleganza 5.1 speakers
ok so I rescheduled my recording events, not missed recordings seems to be ok (knock on wood).

However last night we had 3 events record but show up with the broken icon (one that looks like a vhs tape), makes about 9 or 10 of them now - Not to happy.

we did note that all 3 of the broken recordings were of shows we watched and taped at the exact same time....wonder if that has something to do with it.

Yamaha RVX3800, Eleganza Speakers, Epson Pro Cinema 1080p, 106" Accuscreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-15, 10:40 AM
Veteran

The 630 has two tuners so a maximum of two shows can be recorded simultaneously. If three or more shows are scheduled at the same time, the ones with lower priority (on the timers list) will be skipped. The skipped shows will be indicated by a ! in the guide recording icon and the two highest priority shows should record normally. Use time shifted channels, when possible, to eliminate conflicts.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #78 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-15, 11:34 AM

This new update has been so bad for us, I am actually considering going back to Bell *gasp* - that's how disappointed we are with this piece of junk.

post #79 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-15, 09:56 PM

I think he meant that in all three instances of broken recordings, the show was being recorded while they also watched it live. Not that they recorded three shows all at the same time (impossible).

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #80 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-16, 12:25 AM

Well, first broken recording. Was watching something on the PVR, and both tuners were recording. Well, looks like I have to torrent a show. The whole point of having a PVR is not having to torrent shows.
post #81 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-16, 10:17 AM

Location: Penticton, BC, SC 505 HD, Westinghouse 32" HD LCD Widescreen, Yamaha RVX3800, eleganza 5.1 speakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae_collector View Post
I think he meant that in all three instances of broken recordings, the show was being recorded while they also watched it live. Not that they recorded three shows all at the same time (impossible).
your correct - 3 different recordings at 3 different times.
However I did watch each show from the beginning while it was being recorded. Then I looked in the PVR list, there were the 3 shows each showing their complete time but with the broken icon.

I called SD yesterday to file my complaint and let them know my suspicions. They took down all the details, had me reboot the receiver and said "thanks" and that was about it.

post #82 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-16, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krydor View Post
Well, first broken recording. Was watching something on the PVR, and both tuners were recording. Well, looks like I have to torrent a show. The whole point of having a PVR is not having to torrent shows.
While I agree that broken recordings are annoying and shouldn't happen, there is no need to torrent shows. Shaw Direct has most shows on VOD available a day or two after the original airing. Luckily I haven't had any broken recordings so far, but if I did, I would just watch it using VOD. At least it is free AND legal!
post #83 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-16, 12:11 PM
Veteran

My broken recording seen to be related to watching while recording as well. Even watching a different show can be an issue. If a show is watched and deleted while a recording is taking place, it appears to create a broken link to the recording in progress. Haven't tested this thoroughly though.

As for Shaw's VOD, it's garbage like the rest of their offerings. Playback is totally locked down on broadcast station shows so you must sit through all the insipid promos and ads. You can't even skip back to watch something that was missed or restart a program that was interrupted part way through. It's pretty obvious that Shaw designed their VOD for broadcasters, not consumers.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #84 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-16, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbean5411 View Post
While I agree that broken recordings are annoying and shouldn't happen, there is no need to torrent shows. Shaw Direct has most shows on VOD available a day or two after the original airing. Luckily I haven't had any broken recordings so far, but if I did, I would just watch it using VOD. At least it is free AND legal!
Thats great if you can get VOD. Some of us can't so we are forced to find alternative means to be entertained

post #85 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-16, 04:20 PM

Drama continues

Drama continues..... One 630 keeps locking up, front panel reset impossible, so have to unplug for a few minutes, then plug back in, only to have it lock up again a few hours later. Done this procedure 4 times now in two days.
The other receiver has broken recordings galore... wife not happy at ALL.

We really need a response from SD Support to help us out here.
post #86 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-16, 04:54 PM

Have you called SD and asked for a Hardware replacement? or anything like that? I am curious as to what they say.

Last edited by 57; 2012-11-16 at 05:48 PM. Reason: UQR
post #87 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-16, 05:53 PM

I was watching 2 PVRd shows (back to back) last night while 2 other shows were recording. I just want to note here that i watched and deleted 2 shows (after done watching) while the other 2 recorded and everything went fine. Both shows recorded properly. There was a bit of lag on the rcvr registering button clicks from the remote but that's about it.

Since 8.26 i've suffered from about 4 or so broken recordings as well.
post #88 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-16, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccamp95 View Post
Have you called SD and asked for a Hardware replacement? or anything like that? I am curious as to what they say.
Haven't called yet as I hate waiting on hold for 45 minutes or more. I'm not at my home address so replacing receivers is a bit of an issue. Also no toll free number from here so my cell phone charges get up there. I may e-mail them if there isn't a resolution in the next week or so.
I don't believe it's a hardware issue as the problems didn't start till after the latest software update. Could be wrong, but others postings seem to agree with my opinion.

Hope Shaw Support gets a response to us on this forum....
post #89 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-16, 11:49 PM
Veteran

Charlie and others having problems...

Why don't you do a factory reset? It's probably something that SD will have you do anyway when you finally get ahold of them. It's something I did right after receiving the 8.26 update to get any cobwebs out and I've had virtually no problems to date. Had a power reboot once but that is about it.

Factory resets can be done without talking to anyone at SD. (Options-4-9-8-8-6) You just need an online customer account or use the automated phone system for a rehit/refresh from a phone associated to your phone number.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #90 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-17, 01:37 AM
Veteran

More issues here. The replacement for the 630 that failed just after the update now has the same symptoms. It appears to be functional in every way except it won't turn on. The only difference is that there is no clock display. Others have reported similar symptoms but with the clock stuck at 8:00 or 9:00. The clock on this unit was set to turn off with the receiver, which may explain the lack of display.

Two more broken recordings here as well. I suspect it's due to watched programs being deleted while the 630 is recording. Can't confirm that though.

What a stellar company to deal with. Since this last update I've had two completely failed PVRs, another that is unreliable and I've been verbally abused by a CSR. Then there are the dozens of hours of lost recordings with no hint of compensation from Shaw. One CSR gave me a very comforting, "That's too bad" after I told her I had lost a lot of recordings. Like I said, a stellar company to deal with. Their award winning service is really something to experience.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in