New Firmware Update 8.26 - See post 1. - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-03, 01:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
so last night, had grimm all set to record and the 630 recorded nothing!
You might want to delete and recreate the timer. I've often seen timers that were not working. It seems to be related to guide data inaccuracies but it could be corrupted timers.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-03, 04:17 PM

I had 3 recordings set for Thursday night, and all 3 were broken when I went to watch them last night - but the recordings earlier in the week were fine, and last night's were fine as well.

This is a problem I didn't have prior to this new update.
post #48 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandher57 View Post
We also appreciated the Halloween icons that appeared on the 31st. Very festive.
meandher what are Halloween icons? We're new to shaw and didnt see them. Weve seen Halloween cats on CTV between programs but it sounds like your talking about something on Shaw.

post #49 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 10:18 AM

the Halloween cats were icons that appeared on the dvr menu on the day. They replaced the 'recording' and 'recorded' icons. There was some confusion, because the cat icon looked similar to the 'broken recording' icon (except for the colour)

Maybe it looked better on the HD menu being tested by SD employees

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #50 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longmayirun View Post
I just can't trust it to record anything now.

This is the problem.
post #51 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 11:11 AM

Location: Penticton, BC, SC 505 HD, Westinghouse 32" HD LCD Widescreen, Yamaha RVX3800, eleganza 5.1 speakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
You might want to delete and recreate the timer. I've often seen timers that were not working. It seems to be related to guide data inaccuracies but it could be corrupted timers.
found my missing Grimm - was on the bottom of the pvr list at 886:03 LOL

So I tried to remove my recordings and reprogram them. Noticed that they all came up with an X in the record days. Did a soft reboot, no difference. Gave up and went to bed. Checked this morning they appear fine...I will watch closely to ensure the Simpsons are taped tonight as scheduled!

Yamaha RVX3800, Eleganza Speakers, Epson Pro Cinema 1080p, 106" Accuscreen
post #52 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 11:24 AM
Veteran

I've seen a few recording with an X, meaning they will be skipped, as well. That's in addition to the ones I skipped intentionally. There's definitely something serious wrong with this update. I've also seen the 886:03 broken recordings since 8.26 arrived. It's not because the 630 was not rebooted after the update either. Mine had the update for a few days and had been unplugged in the meantime.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #53 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 06:09 PM

Sometimes "X" will appear in a circle even though nothing conflicts with the recording event.

The work-around is to select "Record This Airing". There is no reason why it should work when the other options won't work, but...
post #54 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 08:53 PM

Location: Penticton, BC, SC 505 HD, Westinghouse 32" HD LCD Widescreen, Yamaha RVX3800, eleganza 5.1 speakers
Oh I agree it should work. But I am not going to babysit all my scheduled recordings for every day, especially since they were fine before and after the upgrade. Even after deleting the recording event and rebuilding it, the 630 was still putting X on the shows.

Yamaha RVX3800, Eleganza Speakers, Epson Pro Cinema 1080p, 106" Accuscreen

Last edited by 57; 2012-11-05 at 01:23 AM. Reason: UQR
post #55 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouser View Post
the Halloween cats were icons that appeared on the dvr menu on the day.
Oh okay thanks we don't have a DVR. I wonder whether they show up on a 605 if you set a recording. Well too late now but maybe someone will mention it around Xmas and we can try then. Sounds cute. :-)
post #56 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-05, 10:12 AM

It's been rock solid for me. No issues with missed records. No rebooting or resetting issues. The external HDD hasn't caused a single issue. I've reset no timers since the update.

It's the best update Shaw Direct has done since ever. This is coming from a guy who has no issue emailing or phoning when something is wrong with the service.
post #57 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-05, 11:34 AM

I found that the the guide was incorrect for a few days last week. The shows descriptions were actually for shows that air this week, so the PVR recorded repeats last week thinking they were new. Some shows this week now have an "x" in the guide as a result. Now that the guide has been corrected the PVR thinks it recorded the episode last week and skips recording it again this week.

I`ve had to select record this airing for a few episodes that have been skipped this week so I don`t miss them.

For me this seemed more of a guide issue than an issue with the new firmware.
post #58 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-05, 11:56 AM

Location: Ottawa, ON; Shaw Direct HDPVR630; Samsung HLT5687; Harmon/Kardon AVR247; Harmon/Kardon HKTS11
That was because of Hurricane Sandy. Some of the networks decided at the last minute to show a repeat episode instead of a new episode. The guide wasn't updated in time, so the PVR still thought it recorded a new episode last week. That's why some episodes may have an "x" icon this week for the postponed new episodes.
post #59 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-05, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krydor View Post
It's been rock solid for me. No issues with missed records. No rebooting or resetting issues. The external HDD hasn't caused a single issue. I've reset no timers since the update.

It's the best update Shaw Direct has done since ever.
Wow - that certainly hasn't been my case. In fact quite the opposite. It was rock solid before the update. Besides all the broken recordings and numerous phantom restarts, my daughter tried to record Heartland and got the weird 893:01 (or whatever the number was) and the only option to select was delete recording. They've turned this thing into a piece of junk.
post #60 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-11-05, 03:33 PM

X on programs recorded

On the recorded PVR list I saw an "X" on the same line as the program I recorded. I got the usual screen: play, delete, etc. I clicked play, but it didn't play. I finally clicked delete and it deleted. The episode listed is not repeated in future per the guide.

The "X" seems to infect both the guide and recorded shows.

P.S. Sandy shouldn't have effected the recording since the show was "Haven" (a Cdn show) on Showcase.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in