New Firmware Update 8.26 - See post 1. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 11:47 PM
Rookie

Shawdirect 8.26 improvement list...

6xx receiver 8.26 update...

Shaw Direct On Demand (VOD) Interests Menu Revamp

- The VOD "Interests" menu has been redesigned to make it easier to browse all 4000+ titles available on Shaw Direct On Demand.

- The first column now allows you to select Movies, TV, Music, or Premiums.

- The second column will show the channels or networks available.

- The third column will still show the genre or other filters, but has been simplified to be easier to navigate.

- This layout also makes it easier to find "free" content, by instantly knowing who a particular title is provided by. If the customer subscribes to that channel, the content will be available on VOD. If they do not subscribe, it will appear grey.

- Themed, featured content groupings (like holiday titles or 007 Bond) will be more prominent and easier to find under the Movies > Shaw Direct VOD search.

VOD Usability Enhancements

- "Marathoning" multiple episodes of a series has been made easier with more consistent display of Season/Episode information (making it easier to watch in order).

- When stopping VOD playback, you will now be returned to the same search query you started from (making it easier to get to and start the next episode).

- Trickplays (skip forward, skip back, absolute skip, and absolute jump) are now dramatically faster.

Other VOD Enhancements

- Icon placement on the VOD Menu Bar (accessed by pressing "D") has been tweaked. "Interests" now appears first, with "Network" moved to be accessible by pressing the LEFT arrow once.

- If you reboot your receiver without satellite signal, VOD will now continue to work for a few days. This means customers experiencing rain or snow fade can continue to enjoy programming until the problem is resolved.

Multi-Audio Selection

- Channels which have additional audio tracks available (such as DVS or French) will display the "multi-audio" icon on the info banner after you tune in

- Pressing SOURCE on the remote control will allow you to select an alternate audio track.

- Your settings will be returned to your defaults (as set in OPTIONS 4-1) when you change channels.

- Note that additional audio tracks will always present on a particular channel. However, not all programs have additional audio tracks. For example, Teletoon broadcasts with a secondary DVS audio track. However, only certain programs airing on Teletoon will actually have DVS audio available on that track.

HDPVR 630 External Hard Drive Support

- HDPVR 630 customers can now connect a single eSATA hard drive to expand their recording capacity, up to 2 TB (2000 GB)

- A 2 TB drive would provide over 1360 SD, or 360 HD hours of additional recording capacity!

- Drives must:

- Be connected via eSATA (not USB)

- Be externally powered (i.e. with a cord that plugs into an electrical outlet)

- Be 2.0 TB or smaller

· Drives should:

- Be rated for PVR/DVR usage. These are drives specifically designed to be quieter, run cooler, and support multiple HD streams and 24/7 usage.

- eSATA hotplug is not supported in this release, meaning the receiver must be rebooted if a drive is connected or disconnected. The onscreen menus will then guide the customer through the setup or divorce instructions.

Edit by 57: A separate thread has been created to discuss the eHDD specifically:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=157367

Partially Deleted Recordings Fix (HDPVR 630 only)

- The issue with “partially deleted” recordings still taking up space on the hard drive has been resolved in this release. Any “partially deleted” files sitting on the hard drive will be automatically deleted after taking the 08.26 download.

- Customers may notice the amount of free space change as a result of this fix, and think that some of their PVR contents have been deleted. Please assure them this is not the case and that the amount of free space is now reading correctly.

Last edited by islander_85; 2012-10-21 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 02:22 PM

has there been any updates on this update? seems like a lack of people responding that they've been targetted (i know i haven't as of this morning), so it seems like a very slow rollout thus far.
post #18 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 02:25 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeaim View Post
has there been any updates on this update? seems like a lack of people responding that they've been targetted (i know i haven't as of this morning), so it seems like a very slow rollout thus far.
All 3 of my receivers have been updated

post #19 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 02:37 PM

Both my 630s have yet to be targeted. Both my 600s have the update so i can't really see what's changed/fixed until the 630s get the update.
post #20 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:41 PM

My 630 has been updated. I havent tried an external drive but the pvr percentage is fixed. Mine went from 63 to 39%. i guess i had deleted items still on hdd that i didnt realize. I never done pvr flush as i always assumed my percentage was right. cool fix.
post #21 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:58 PM

I hope that one of our more knowledge members will enlighten us on some good choices of models of external hard drive to look for when we finally get the download. I have two external drives but unfortunately they will not work on the 630.
post #22 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 05:14 PM
Veteran

The Shaw Direct external drive discussion thread is here.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #23 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 07:09 PM

I got the update last night. Took about 1/2 an hour to download and then after seemingly 5 or 6 restarts picture returned. Checked to see if phantom undeleted recording were gone and was disappointed to see that my drive was still 93% full. Suddenly it said 20% full. Working like it should.

Purchased the WD My book AV extender this morning hooked it up rebooted the 630 it detected it formatted it and now my drive is 5% full.

Looks like everything is working as it should at this point.

Bob
post #24 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 08:25 PM
Rookie

I get the impression that the only worthwhile part of this upgrade is the capability to connect an external hard drive. Since my wife is the owner of the PVR, she'll get that benefit! I've got the 605 complete with Hauppauge HD PVR for my recording and storage capabilities.

I tried the VOD and found it pretty well unusable in my scenario. Being thrifty, my internet subscription is 2 Mbps and the only programming that I could watch was some of the SD kids programming. Interface is very slow and takes quite a bit of time to look for programs. Again, probably due to my relatively slow DSL.

No issues with Netflix and a WD TV Live though.

I'm assuming the difference between SD VOD and Netflix is probably compression.

Anybody using SD VOD? Does this latest upgrade provide any worthwhile VOD enhancements? I could always take that $8.00 a month that I spend on Netflix and put it to a faster internet subsciption if it was worthwhile.
post #25 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-25, 12:33 PM
Veteran

Am I the only one?

HDD useage went up after the update from 12% to 15%.
post #26 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-25, 12:58 PM
Veteran

Mine went down, but only by about 5%. I also encountered some performance issues. There are now long delays when navigating PVR menus. Hope that clears up.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #27 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-25, 01:22 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Mine showed a 15% reduction in hard disk usage.

Has anyone looked at the view upcoming occurences feature in recording? I find that it shows the wrong program quite often. No joy in the new release either.
post #28 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-25, 04:23 PM

Does anyone know what the CSS screen in the Installation menu is all about?
post #29 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-25, 05:03 PM

I've tried on a couple occasions to use the VOD. It is painfully slow to the point of being useless. I'd be surprised if anyone uses it at all. It is so bad, I'm surprised the even released it. Its not an internet speed issue, its the speed of the program and the receiver. Terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libiec View Post
I get the impression that the only worthwhile part of this upgrade is the capability to connect an external hard drive. Since my wife is the owner of the PVR, she'll get that benefit! I've got the 605 complete with Hauppauge HD PVR for my recording and storage capabilities.

I tried the VOD and found it pretty well unusable in my scenario. Being thrifty, my internet subscription is 2 Mbps and the only programming that I could watch was some of the SD kids programming. Interface is very slow and takes quite a bit of time to look for programs. Again, probably due to my relatively slow DSL.

No issues with Netflix and a WD TV Live though.

I'm assuming the difference between SD VOD and Netflix is probably compression.

Anybody using SD VOD? Does this latest upgrade provide any worthwhile VOD enhancements? I could always take that $8.00 a month that I spend on Netflix and put it to a faster internet subsciption if it was worthwhile.
post #30 of 183 (permalink) Old 2012-10-26, 09:45 AM

i initiated the upgrade on wednesday, hdd went from 45% down to 31% which i was surprised by as i didn't realize i had that much extra space. however after recording stuff the last couple nights and deleting most of it (as it's been watched) i'm back up to i believe 48% this morning and this is with just 4 hrs of hd added, does that equate to about 17% of the total hdd? i'm wondering if this could be a one time fix and the error still exists? anyone else see something different or have the same issue?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in