PPV recorded on pvr- how long will it remain? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

PPV recorded on pvr- how long will it remain?

i realized when ordering a ppv movie on the weekend that it asked 'purchase and record this airing?'

i'm just wondering how long will the movie remain on my pvr? until i delete it? or a day, longer? just curious as obviously sometimes the airtimes for movies aren't when you would like to watch, so if i can just purchase and record it at anytime and leave it there to view later, then that would work perfectly, plus we could pause if need be etc.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 04:11 PM

It auto sets the recording as "protected" so it will only go away when you decide to delete it
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 04:32 PM
Veteran

It should stay on the PVR. However, you may be billed more than once if you watch it more than once. I forget the exact window but it's either 24 or 48 hours after the initial viewing that triggers another billing.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 10:57 PM

What? There's no way that's right. How would they even know how many times you've watched it off your PVR? Not everyone has the receiver hooked to a phone line, but rather orders PPV by calling in, which then charges the customer and unlocks the movie or event. After that there is no way they can tell how often you watch it or how long it's on your PVR.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 11:11 PM
Veteran

When connected to a phone line, the receiver reports back every time the program is played. Not sure how they work it when no phone line is connected but I had to have a phone line connected to enable instant PPV.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 07:48 AM
Member #1

My guess is that you would only be charged once but when you think about it, it is called pay per view!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 04:43 PM

I guarantee that even with phone line connected, the unit does not report back each time you watch off your PVR. You pay once and once only regardless if u tape it and watch 100 times over the course of a year even

But just for fun I've emailed SD to confirm this. I'll report back when they answer.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 05:28 PM
Rookie

Smile

Nice to know didnt even know I could record a ppv events. thanks

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-10-17 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the immediately preceding post.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-10-18, 11:47 AM

I record every UFC, keep it for weeks & often watch parts of it several times over (showing friends the main event or a good fight, etc) and I have never been billed more than once (that thought had never even crossed my mind).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-10-19, 05:10 PM

Heard back from SD. Confirmed. One charge regardless of how many times you watch off pvr
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

thanks for checking and reporting back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in