My experience with Shawdirect - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-12, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

My experience with Shawdirect

I signed up with Shawdirect on september 19th leaving Bell. I have 2 x HD600 receivers and 1 x HD630 PVR which wasnt too expensive trough Direct Sales.

The installation was scheduled 2 days after agreeing with Shawdirect and it went like a breeze. I got the 60E dish with the new Xku LNB.

I have to be quite honest that setting the PVR was nothing like Bell, a little more complicated but once I learned every options I can say that I really like it and it is better than the 9241 from bell. I love having the 14 days guide, easy to schedule new recordings, etc.

On the programming side, I got the digital indulgence lite package, HD Extra Lite + Free HD time shifting and the Super Channels @ 50% off for 6 months. It comes up to 73$ taxes included which isnt bad considering competition prices.

On the plus side, with ShawDirect I have to pay 5.99$ for the multi receiver warranty which I take as a bonus since my receivers are garanteed and service calls are free...

I am aware of the PVR not erasing recordings correctly and having to do the PVR flush to regain Hdd space and it dosent bother me since this will be fixed in future updates.

All in all, I am verry satisfied with what I got and am a happy newcomer. It is also nice to speak to someone in customer care that we at least can understand.

Just tought Id share my experience...

Also heard, that the digital indulgence lite package has been phased out and not offered trough direct sales since October 1st but will be grandfathered...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 12:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander_85 View Post
On the plus side, with ShawDirect I have to pay 5.99$ for the multi receiver warranty
Nice try shaw employee

I would rather not have the forced "warranty" and just pay for a replacement if it ever dies outside of the first year. Paying $72 / year in "Warranty" you are just pre-purchasing your next receiver when your current one dies :S.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 01:01 PM

I felt the same way as the OP 10 months ago when I got my install done.. But fast forward to today, with multiple satellite launch delays and lack of HD content.. I'm starting to regret my switch to Shaw direct.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 01:26 PM

Indeed....SD used to be the best, now the worst. When I cancelled my service, it took four calls to finally get the receivers deactivated, and now I'm going through the same thing just to get a modest $17 refund, promised over a month ago and now they say they have no record of this refund....crooked bunch they have become...

Last edited by 57; 2012-10-15 at 08:27 PM. Reason: UQR
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 02:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
... it dosent bother me since this will be fixed in future updates.
Just like the 630 HD dropouts that were supposed to be fixed in the latest firmware. They are just as bad as ever. Fix things? Shaw is just as likely walked away from receivers (like the 5xx series) without even offering an upgrade to make up for their own misrepresentations. (Bell has always replaced receivers made obsolete by technology changes and continue to supply updates and bug fixes after receivers are discontinued.) All Shaw Direct offers is, "Too bad (sucker.) We'll sell you a new receiver at full price." Shaw's promises and promotions cannot be trusted.

As for that "wonderful" warranty... One time, Shaw sent me a defective refurb and refused to replace it for 6 months. The reason given is because it is too expensive for them to supply refurbs. That's their problem, not mine. Nice excuse while leaving a customer stranded. They wouldn't even send out a tech. Even after 6 months, I had to get it checked by a local dealer, at my own expense, and get a letter stating it was defective. In the meantime, I had to purchase another receiver, again at my own expense.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 02:42 PM
Veteran

I think. 'shaw employee' probably hit the nail on the head!!! Pretty ridiculous tactics. 'fix'??? That's why the only SD receiver I have is for my RV. The only thing SD is good for IMNSHO, at this point anyway.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I am not a Shaw employee, on the other hand does anyone know how to fix the video on demand, it just jams all over the place in HD, I got a 20mb/s cable connection with Eastlink surely this cant be it?

Last edited by 57; 2012-10-16 at 12:08 PM. Reason: UQR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in