New model to replace the 630 PVR - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-12, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

New model to replace the 630 PVR

I have seen a few posts in other threads here and a few elsewhere on the internet about a replacement for the 630 PVR.

Has anyone heard anything more on a new model replacement for the 630 PVR or around when it will be released?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-12, 04:46 PM

I sent an email to ask Jim this week - inquiring about plans for a 'wholehome' dvr.

I was saddened by the reply. Nothing to be announced in the near future.

In fact Im still waiting for the esata/usb port and expanded harddrive and HD guide and more HD channels.

If it wasnt such a chore and so expensive I would switch to cogeco for their whole home units. If the new bird is delayed again- I just might do that.

Starchoice since 1999. HD with Starchoice since the very first days.

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-12, 08:50 PM
Veteran

Rumours are that G1 is delayed until at delayed until the end of March.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-13, 11:41 AM
Veteran

If there are things in the works, it would be too early to say anything about it now.

The 6xx receivers are too new to dump, and so far seem capable for some time.
They probably want to get a few years from them, instead of have another DSR-500 on their hands.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-13, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouser View Post
I sent an email to ask Jim this week - inquiring about plans for a 'wholehome' dvr.
After reading ur post I emailed Jim and asked for whole home as well. The rest of the competition has it...time for SD to stay up to par at least in some areas that they can control and the 600 series receivers are capable.

Last edited by 57; 2012-10-14 at 05:58 PM. Reason: QS
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-14, 03:12 PM
Veteran

I've said it before an I'll say it again, the Shaws are more interested in their yearly bonuses than in keeping up with the competition or giving their customers what they want. Running a second rate service that makes money is what they do best. It's been third for about a decade now. Pretty soon it will be running fourth, behind the competition in satellite, cable and IPTV. I've got to wonder if Shaw Direct will be around in 10 years.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-14, 05:57 PM

You are absolutely correct ScaryBob. Not only do the Shaw's neglect Shaw Direct, they disdain it. If they had their way everyone would have cable TV and DTH Satellite wouldn't even exist.

Last edited by 57; 2012-10-14 at 05:58 PM. Reason: UQR
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 09:12 PM

"I've got to wonder if Shaw Direct will be around in 10 years."

It's very doubtful that it will last 3 years. If foreign ownership regulations are not relaxed by then, you'll see a HBC/Zellers - Target type deal. Shaw Direct will be shut down and Shaw will sell the Telesat transponder leases to DirecTV. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if preliminary discussions haven't already taken place.

Star Choice jumped the shark when Shaw got control.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 09:43 AM

^^^ This does not bode well.

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 12:57 PM
Veteran

Cancom (Shaw Brodcast Services), needs to exist, to distribute specialty and some broadcast to cable systems. Shaw Direct just piggy backs on that.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 04:26 PM
Veteran

Cancom is losing customers as well. It's being replaced with fibre where possible and with Bell by some other cable companies. Rogers once used Cancom for specialty channels and distant channels but now uses fibre directly from the broadcasters for many, if not all, of those feeds. Cancom is still used by some remote cable systems and the few independents that still exist. They could easily use Bell for those feeds or find another source.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
Cancom is losing customers as well.
Shaw showed their hand when they let Bell pickup SRDU customers because Shaw wouldn't buy Ku transponders on F3 for new services + HD. Shaw made the decision to get out of the satellite biz way back then. Shaw will keep it SD/Cancom going until it is no longer cash flow positive. Then, as previously stated, close it down and sell the transponder leases to someone else.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 12:22 PM

Lets not get carried away here guys. The CRTC would NEVER allow Shaw to simply lock the door and walk away from Shawdirect leaving customers holding the bag with millions of dollars in equipment.

There is nothing more important to the CRTC then to foster competition and to provide TV service to undeserved communities. As much as we think Shawdirect is a gong show, there would be a line up to purchase the company should the Shaw family decide to sell. If I had the investors I would buy Shawdirect in a heartbeat.

I know the Shaw's very well and their ego and insatiable appetite to "be bigger than the competition" often trumps good judgement.

Shawdirect will be around is some form until there exists a superior competitive technology (fiber, 4G, etc) to service remote communities.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 12:36 PM

Much like the CBC shutting down analog transmitters there is nothing the CRTC could do to compel Shaw to keep Shaw Direct running. Shaw could sell their subscriber list to Bell and make a deal for trade in equipment and sell the transponder space, although selling the transponder space might need Industry Canada appoval as those spaces are designated for Canadian use. Maybe the regulations on that have changed but I thought there was some approval required for Dishor Direct TV to use the F3 assignment.

LONSat
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 02:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The CRTC would NEVER allow Shaw to simply lock the door and walk away from Shawdirect leaving customers holding the bag with millions of dollars in equipment.
The CRTC does not have that power. There is nothing they could do. The only power the CRTC has is over the terms of sale or operation of Shaw Direct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in