New model to replace the 630 PVR - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 05:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
The CRTC does not have that power. There is nothing they could do. The only power the CRTC has is over the terms of sale or operation of Shaw Direct.
I cant really see ShawDirect closing anytime soon... At least I hope not we need competition to keep lower prices...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 10:52 PM
Veteran

I don't see them closing up shop in the near future either. There is a fair bit of synergy between Shaw Direct, Cancom and Shaw Cable that makes for a profitable organization. Losing any one would affect the whole. However, don't underestimate the effects of expanding fibre networks and IPTV on Shaw's business. They are putting pressure on all three operations and that will increase over the foreseeable future. If any one survives alone, it will be the Cable TV/internet operation.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 06:43 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Also don't forget the growth of Internet streaming. We could see lots more on-demand type viewing. Many people have already given up cable for PC-only viewing. If it were not for the HWFH program, I might have switched already.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 11:38 PM
Veteran

I tried the internet streaming for a Global program. All skip, FF and Rewind functions were disabled. That's like going back 30 years to before my first VCR. No thanks. I know why they are doing it but it makes Shaw Direct's VOD offering unacceptable to me. IIRC, it was not even possible to resume a partially watched program. I would pay a few dollars extra a month to get ad free programming or full controls but locking all controls down for an entire show with full ads and no resume function is not on my TV watching schedule. That's just a gigantic waste of time.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-11-24, 05:07 PM

All rumour here.

Talking to a level 2 rep a while back on some other issues. I asked about whole-home receivers. He mentioned that would likely not happen until the 730 came out. Yes he mentioned the model. And not for at least another year. Given that they regularly release late spring early summer, I would say spring 2014.

So what will it do? I ask.
- 4 tuners
- built-in multi switch so unit would only require a single coax line from the LNB. Running 2 lines from dish was the biggest complaint from new adopters to the current PVR (let's leave current software bugs for another time). I'm still not sure how this would work, but maybe.
- 600 and above receivers should have ability to watch content on 730. This 'server' feature not likely going to make it to the 630.

He also mentioned that a new firmware release for the 600 series, 9.XX, likely before Christmas

just more carrots??
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-11-25, 09:09 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp01 View Post
All rumour here.

Talking to a level 2 rep a while back on some other issues. I asked about whole-home receivers. He mentioned that would likely not happen until the 730 came out

just more carrots??
I heard essentially the same thing from an installer

I suspect most of it is just fed to them to help overcome the objection of 4 wires in.

Any modern server will have to be wireless. I suspect SD will have it in place by the time the F2 replacements are launched in 2022.

I'm not washed up yet
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2012-11-25, 08:04 PM
JCM

Bell has had the feature of only one wire down from their "Dish Pro" lnb's. Then there is a specific splitter to fulfill the 2 coax inputs on the receiver - good for the 9141 and 9242.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2013-01-16, 11:21 AM

Has anyone heard anything recently? I was just thinking about this today as I'm contemplating switching to FibeTV primarily for the 'wholehome' DVR capability. I've been a bit disappointed with Bell internet lately, though, so the idea of becoming even more entrenched with their services causes me hesitation. I'd be willing to stick with Shaw if there was something on the horizon - but the lack of new information is frustrating.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2013-01-16, 11:47 AM
Veteran

Anything is possible but I see it as unlikely. The 630 can handle any foreseeable satellite technology the Shaw will roll out and it's a fairly new design. It's also fairly inexpensive and cheap produce so there would be no advantage for Shaw to spend any money on R&D for a new model. Some other BDUs are using PVR designs that are 5 to 10 years old so Shaw can get a fair bit of use from the 630. (Some people are still using SD receivers that are 5 to 10 years old.) The only game changer would be a whole home PVR solution but there is no reason why Shaw couldn't sell both. Some people think the 630 is capable of this as well.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2013-01-17, 09:26 AM
Veteran

The 6xx receivers, except for being only two tuner for the DVR, and the level of firmware, are nearly perfect and state of the art.

The only thing that could be a hardware improvement would be a 4 tuner unit, and/or means to use one coax to supply multiple tuners. I think that Shaw has bigger fish to fry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in