ReadyNet VOD Powerline Bridge Question - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-06, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Question ReadyNet VOD Powerline Bridge Question

I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with the Shaw Direct ReadyNet VOD Powerline Bridge?

Since you can't do wireless streaming for VOD on Shaw Direct and it would be rather messy to try to get a real wired ethernet connection to my receiver, this is my only choice.

Might there be a either better or less expensive alternative to this particular offering from Shaw Direct?

As always, thanks in advance for any and all answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-06, 08:04 PM

It appears to be similar to the D-Link Powerline AV500 available at Best Buy and Future Shop. I have had good luck using them to connect PCs and a Wii to my home network. They have worked well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-07, 01:15 PM
Rookie

Powerline Bridge

It isn't great. They sent me one N/C when I complained about the lack of wireless with the 630. It is not plug and play as they say. You need to go to the bridge website and do the setup exactly how they say. And be prepared to do this a lot. Like every time you need to reset the receiver, power failure etc. Even when it is working it is usually not enough to get HD. I finally just ran a line from my router. It still was not enough for HD. I called tech support. What a joke, first with respect to the Powerline Bridge, they told me to contact them direct. Big help. When I called about the same problem with a direct line. I was told "Ya, it really doesn't work to well with HD at all. They told me that a Patch will be coming out to boost speeds by about 2 Mbps. I asked when that would be, and he told me as soon as they develop one. The problem as i see it is you can do a speed test and it can be over 7, so you order a HD movie and watch it for about a 1/2 hour, then all of sudden the stream starts to break up. So you do another test and it is at 2.5 Mbps. Yet if i test the line with my laptop it is 23 Mbps consistantly. Been with them a long time but I have pretty much had it. Every time they come out with something it is way less than advertised, and they don't seem to care.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-08, 11:24 AM

If you buy these two items below, you will not have any problems. They are both plug and play. I have been using these for a couple of months and have not had one problem. The Shaw Direct VOD has been working perfectly for both SD and HD programming. So for a one time cost of $90 plus tax, you will be good to go. Both are available at Best Buy.

1. D-link Powerline AV 200 4-port switch (DHP-346AV) $49.99
2. D-Link Powerline AV 200 1-Port Network Adapter (DHP-306AV) $39.99

P.S. If you are connecting directly to your router and are still having problems, then likely your internet is sub par. You need high speed internet for it to work properly. I have Bell Fibe 12 and have experienced zero problems.

Last edited by 57; 2012-10-08 at 11:50 AM. Reason: UQR
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-08, 12:48 PM
Rookie

Powerline Bridge

My connection is anything but sub par. As I said in my post it consistantly tests over 20Mbps but the 630 only shows around 2 when tesed from its menu. Also note that my internet is from Shaw. You never said in your post what you were getting when you tested your setup at the 630. Have you actually ordered an HD movie and watched it with you setup?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-09, 08:42 AM

Yes, I have ordered many HD movies and programs. When I test my 630, the result is usually in the 7-8 range. I honestly have had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

If you say your internet connection is fine, then perhaps your 630 is faulty.

Last edited by mrbean5411; 2012-10-09 at 08:42 AM. Reason: update
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2012-10-10, 08:34 PM
Rookie

A faulty 630. Go on. Seriously though, I honestly don't think it is. I have been very happy with my 630. Other than having to reboot once in a while it works flawlessly. As i say the Mbps seem to fluctuate between being acceptable for HD and unacceptable, yet not so with my laptop or desktop. I tried tech support again and got the same silly answer as I indicated in my first post. Just find it frustrating. When you are paying $1476.00/yr for product and programming you kind of expect it to work, or at the very least have some better support when you have issues. I envy you, I would love to use vod in HD. After all thats why I have a home theatrer and subscribe to all the HD channels

Tags
powerline bridge , readynet , vod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in