Satellite Television Prewire - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-17, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Satellite Television Prewire

We are in the process of building a new home, and was wondering if we can get our house prewired for Shaw Direct instead of Rogers? I know SD will install a new dish on the roof but was wondering if they will do the wiring prior to the completion of the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-17, 10:26 AM

Are you building the home or is it a developer? If by a developer, you may have signed an agreement in regards to Rogers. If this is the case, why not try talking to the developer to see what can and cannot be done but be careful not to do anything that could invalidate the new home warranty. I'm sure I have read at least one thread on here previously where it was stated out of scope work done by the owner has in fact invalidated this coverage.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-17, 03:00 PM

Whichever way you go, make sure you install RG6 cable!!!

I was just recently sent to a brand new home which had all the rooms pre-wired for satellite or digital cable, and the builder used standard RG59 coax cable... unbelievable!!!

Also, make sure you have TWO RG6 cables installed to the rooms where you will/may have TV installed.

You will require TWO cables if you install a Dual-Tuner PVR.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-17, 03:09 PM

I would also prewire CAT5e to all your TV locations as wired beats wireless anyday and Smart TVs are the way of the future.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-17, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46FD04 View Post
Also, make sure you have TWO RG6 cables installed to the rooms where you will/may have TV installed.You will require TWO cables if you install a Dual-Tuner PVR.
For Shaw perhaps but my Rogers dual tuner box works fine off one cable.
So there again we get into whether an agreement has been signed in regards to Rogers and what the builder is required to do in that regard. Work with your builder to see what can be done but expect to pay to have extra lines installed and be sure to get an agreement in writing.

(since the OP is even asking this question I have to believe the house is being built by a developer...please ignore if this is not the case)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-17, 04:57 PM

When we built our home the builder was required to run cable to only 3 rooms. A friend & I ran additional cables our selves (after hours out of the way of the workers) all over the place. It's actually quite easy to do when only the framework is up.

A couple years later I had to have Tarion (new home warrantly people) out for unrelated issues with no problems. Having said that if you had problems with the cables you ran I don't think Tarion would cover it (but would you really go through them for cable wiring?).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-17, 10:50 PM

To vmpv, You may have Rogers which requires only one cable for a dual-tuner, but this is the Shaw Direct section, and their Dual-Tuners require TWO cables.

Therefore, if DMBCANADA is a Shaw Direct subscriber, I STRONGLY suggest he install TWO RG6 cables to every room where a TV may get installed.

It is much easier and neater now, when the walls aren't up.

I would also agree with the other poster that the blue Cat5 lines also be installed.

I've seen several brand new homes that have Cat5 installed in every single room of the house. I presume it's the wave of the Internet future.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 08:11 AM

Cat5 to every room in new builds should have been the wave about 5 years ago. If OP has the opportunity to do it now, you definitely should.

Before i finished my basement I ran 2 RG6 cables to every area that a TV could go in the basement and main floor (as the main floor was still easy to access without the basement ceiling in yet), Cat5 to all the same spots (2 to my computer area), and telephone line to all the areas as well. Remember, the PVR630 is also supposed to be able to display caller ID (even though it only works intermittently for me). Just a suggestion, but if you think you MAY need it at some point, do it now and save yourself the hassle later.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 09:09 AM
Veteran

Two RG6 is good, make sure it is rated for satellite (swept to 2 Ghz).
It is a good idea to run two different colors.

Use two Cat6 for twisted pair, also with different colored cables.

Get a prewire for a 7.1 surround system.

Have the builder or their electrician do it on the up and up. I have heard tales of homeowners doing their own LV pre-wire on the sly, only to have it pulled out by the builder or their electrician.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 10:44 AM

Location: Penticton, BC, SC 505 HD, Westinghouse 32" HD LCD Widescreen, Yamaha RVX3800, eleganza 5.1 speakers
i had my home builder do all the wiring via their electrician. I wired my entire house with Coax to all the room I wanted a TV (2 if I planned on a PVR), Cat 6 everywhere, home ran all wiring for whole home entertainment system, wired the living room for speakers, wired the theatre room for more then I have today.

Im my contract the builder would only do 3 coax, but a change order fixed that right up - just had to pay.

Much easier to do it when the walls are bare and everything is easy to get too.

Yamaha RVX3800, Eleganza Speakers, Epson Pro Cinema 1080p, 106" Accuscreen
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 12:32 PM
rlb

When I had my house built in 2003 I simply informed the builder that I wanted to do the LV wiring myself. He gave me a weekend to come in and run whatever I wanted. This was after electrical, HVAC and plumbing and just before insulation so I didnt have to worry about other trades removing or damaging my wiring.
I ran 2 x RG6, 2 x CAT5 and 1 x CAT3 to all potential TV locations as well as speaker wires for rear surrounds in cerain rooms.
Unfortunatley it was in the dead of winter so I froze my arse off but I got everything done that I wanted and so far I haven't wished I had done anything differently.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

I am a SD customer, and have a PVR with the potential for a 2nd PVR. I am guessing that the builder will only prewire coax as they are pushing a Rogers package. They might do more, but will cost more of course.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbcanada View Post
I am a SD customer, and have a PVR with the potential for a 2nd PVR. I am guessing that the builder will only prewire coax as they are pushing a Rogers package. They might do more, but will cost more of course.
Most OTA antennas that you would buy these days use coax....just tell him you need a 2nd line in each room for that...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 10:07 AM

From the outside, run 4 RG6 lines to a central hub location (basement, wire closet). From there run 2 RG6 lines to each of the rooms you thing there may be a possibility for a SD receiver. Also from this hub location, run Cat5e or Cat6 to every bedroom, office, TV location (you get the idea)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 11:19 AM

Prewire

I am in the process of getting a new home built. I have decided to spend the extra money and run individual conduits from the wall outlets to the basement. I am also installing boxes in the soffits and running conduit to the basement should I ever want to install cameras.

With conduits I am covered to easily make any changes that I want down the road. In my current home I prewired every room with RG 6 and cat 5 thinking I was covered. I added LCD TV's and wanted HD but of course RG 6 would not cut it. If I had run conduits it would have been very simple to add an HDMI cable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in