action twice? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

action twice?

Sorry if this has been noted before but I just noticed that Action appears twice in my guide (classic) at 611 and 631. both have Identical programming. I hope this is just a mapping error and that they aren't wasting transponder space for two identical channels

Dave
VE3DVY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 12:54 PM
Veteran

It's not wasting transponder space. The same thing occurs with Peachtree and TLN.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 01:19 PM

It's basically a carry over from the "old days", when channels were grouped more aggressively by bundle. Action on 611 was for the "East" customers who had their Movie channels starting at 601, Action on 631 was for the "West" customers who had their Movie channels starting at 621. Peachtree (formerly TBS) was included in one of the French bundles so was also placed at 650 to be closer for French customers who's channels start at 700.

Now that the 6XX receivers hide the unsubscribed channels (along with non-bundle based packages like Digital Favourites), channel number doesn't matter quite as much. However between the customers who don't have a 6XX and the ones that are "very" used to accessing their channel on a particular number we're still accommodating duplicate channel numbers.

The channel is still only on the satellite once (i.e. not taking up any additional space); the channel numbers are all taken care of in the channel map.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in