Dud connectors - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-07-27, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Dud connectors

I wasn't sure where else to post this.. I apologize if there is a more appropriate section of the forum....I used this section because I'm installing for shaw this weekend ( 4 new systems) and I need a quick solution

So I received 4 packages of belden snap and seal RG 6 connectors, and all 4 packages appear to be "duds" If I've inserted a picture of what they look like, in the albums section.... To explain as best I can, the blue seal that snaps in when using the compression tool is typically already inserted into the tip of the connector. Typically, even if you remove the blue seal, it will snap back in because the seal has a little lip that allows it to snap in and out of the end of the connector. Well with this batch, the blue seal is wrapped around the centre of the connector, so I have to break it off. The tip of the seal has no lip. So I go to insert the seal and the seal just falls out. I try to compress the connector with the seal inserted, and it just comes right off the Rg6.. I compared these to one that I have left from my old batch and it is clear that there is no lip on these seals. Anyone ever seen a batch like this? Is there anything I can do to make use of them, I am thinking just super glue? Issue is with being so Isolated in Nunavut, it's going to take 2 weeks for me to send these back, and get 4 new bags. And I have 4 Installs tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-07-27, 11:33 PM

This doesn't sound like Belden product...perhaps a knock off?

I wouldn't use them. No telling if glue will hold in winter temps for this region.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-07-27, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

I got these from a reputable satellite dealer in Montreal, well known on this site in fact. I doubt they would purchase knock off's. The dealer sent me a whack of supplies today and these were included. The package reads BELDEN (logo) Snap N Seal TM, SNS6, DC3711

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 12:09 AM

Hi. I saw your photo, excellent idea posting it there.

I've seen these connectors before, and they're a pain in the a**.

With patience, they will work.

You have to make 100% sure the seal is inserted straight into the connector, and carefully compress it with your compression tool.

They certainly do not install as easily as the connectors that have the seals pre-inserted.

Good luck, be patient and have a beer for me tomorrow when you're done.

You'll need it LOL.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

well super glue seams to have worked as I tested it, but as previously mentioned, it might not hold up to the cold here. I'll try what you said lol, unfortunately this is a dry community, so no beer for me

EDIT:

I just went through about 15 of them, what is happening is that the seal is locking in place, however because that lip is missing on the seal, it's not "locking" in the cable.. does that make sense?

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-07-28 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the immediately preceding post.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 01:31 AM

The part number sounds more like Thomas n' Betts and these have to be sized specifically for the cable, not just any old RG6. I wonder if that could be the problem. Here's a website I get my stuff from. Excellent selection, service, and prices.

http://www.tselectronic.com/

You might find some answers in their product sections.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 01:57 AM

I looked at your photo, and that appears to be a normal "snap and seal" connector. You simply twist the plastic compression part off, place it over the end of the prepped coax, then use a compression tool to fit it into the metal connector.

At times they have the plastic part partially inserted into the connector...which sucks, as you often need needle-nose pliers to pull them out. This setup is far better.

I can't understand what's not working properly for you? Everything seems normal there...perhaps you need to compress slower to ensure the plastic part inserts properly...?!?! Or maybe you're placing the plastic part on the coax backwards???

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 02:11 AM

Process is the following:

1) Prep coax.

2) Break off plastic part from connector.

3) Place plastic over coax, with thick ring section down away from coax end.

4) Press metal connector over the end of coax and push down until dielectric (white material around centre conductor) is flush with bottom of the screw end.

5) Use tool to compress plastic compression part into connector.

6) Trim centre conductor if necessary.

Done.

Make sure the cable you are using is indeed RG6 and not RG59.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 02:16 AM

Cool

Danny,

I can't offer much on the belden snap and seal connectors.

But I did a lot of research before deciding that Aquatight EX6XLWS connectors were (IMHO) the best out there. I only use these for outdoor cabling.

Outdoor Application
Fully integrated port seal designed to seal on full range of port types
Improve moisture sealing between F port and the connector nut
Reduced vibration effects
Indoor Application
Increase torque without a wrench
Reduced vibration effects
Reduced trouble calls and easily recognized operational savings
Lower inventory
Reduced craft errors
Increase plant integrity
Specifications:

Bandwidth 0 MHz to 3 GHz
Impedance 75 Ohms (Nominal)
Return Loss
Insertion Loss Better than -30 dB to 3 GHz
Less than .10 dB to greater than 1 GHz
Operating Voltage 90 V (at 60 Hz continuous AC)
Operating Temperature -40° F to +140° F, -40° C to +60° C
Cable Range 60% - Quad Shield, PE, PVC Jacket
Cable Retention 60% Braid - 50 lbs. (22.73 kg) Minimum
Quad Shield - 100 lbs. (45.45 kg) Minimum

EX6XLWS Extended length integrated port seal compression connector for 6 Series cable

You may want to give these a try for your next order.

Regards,
Jim
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 02:22 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Snap n' Seal connectors. I've used them for many years with trouble-free service. They install easily and offer a long service life.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
Process is the following....
worked like a charm, what I was doing was inserting the blue seal first, thanks a million!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 08:38 AM

Great call Jase88.

I didn't think about the possibility Danny001 was inserting the blue seal upside down.

This is an excellent example of how great this Forum is.

There is LOTS of experience here, and your diagnosis proves it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 03:02 PM

Thank you! Just glad that I could help....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in