Dual satellite vs triple satellite LNBF - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-08-12, 02:03 PM

Hey Mon Key C and Mon Key Do,

U sound like a lawyer LOL

I can tell you for a fact the new satellite Shaw is launching will NOT be visible in most of the USA and NOT visible in Mexico.

I do a ton of Bell and Shaw installs, and I keep my ears open and mouth shut.

The plan is, if Shaw is still around, that any new satellites launched for Shaw service will utilize the new "Canada only" footprint.

Bell just did it with the recent replacement of Nimiq 91 satellites, and now Shaw with Anik G1.

Technically, I don't understand why this was done, but this is what has happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-08-12, 03:19 PM

Well Mr Know it All Installer

If you had done the slightest bit of reading on Telesat's site; you have learned that Shaw has leased 15 Extended Ku Band transponders on G1.

Extended Ku band is NOT satellite only in North America under the ITU Agreement.

Telesat has a temporary permit from Industry Canada to operate in this band from 107.3 and 111.1 until 2028.

All this because nobody told the Shaw Clan, who have taken $130m out of the business in the last 2 years, that HD was coming in the 21st century. These clowns passed on the F3 Ku transponders ... and then go crying to Industry Canada that there was no ku band bandwidth left in the 103 to 119 arc.

A real joke for business leadership - Industry Canada should have said NO to them.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-08-13, 12:04 AM

mon key C

I don't claim to know it all. I do know a lot, from experience, and from excellent information provided by people like yourself.

Now may I please ask that you take your last post, and explain it so that the basic Installer understands what you mean?

I can honestly tell you that I have no idea how a satellite works.

Could you please explain what the folowing excerpt meant;

All this because nobody told the Shaw Clan, who have taken $130m out of the business in the last 2 years, that HD was coming in the 21st century. These clowns passed on the F3 Ku transponders ... and then go crying to Industry Canada that there was no ku band bandwidth left in the 103 to 119 arc.

My last question that you may be able to answer. Do you know how they are able to take a satellite like G1 and transmit a footprint to a specific area (i.e. Canada only)?

Dish Network in the USA also does this with "spotbeams" for Local channel transmission.

Thank you.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-08-13, 01:39 AM
Veteran

He means in their wise ways the Shaws didn't plan at all for the future (HD) and did not contract for space on the F3 satellite when it was available in the standard, so then had to go to IC and ask for an exception and use non-standard frequencies.
They have a temporary use situation which they should
never have been granted.
In his opinion they are bozos for taking $130M out of the business instead of investing in the future with it
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-08-13, 08:10 AM

Industry Canada Conditions for Telesat

Conditions for the Use of an Extended ku Band Satellite at the 111.1°W or 107.3°W Orbital Positions for the Provision of Capacity for Direct-to-Home Satellite Television (DTH) Services

1. In the extended ku band (10.7-11.7 GHz), only the bands 11.075-11.2 GHz and 11.575-11.7 GHz shall be used to carry DTH services in Canada.

2. No DTH services shall be carried in these bands after January 1, 2028.

3. Telesat shall launch a satellite with an extended ku band DTH payload by January 1, 2014.

4. Telesat shall provide Industry Canada with a copy of its satellite services agreement with Shaw Direct for the procurement of extended ku band capacity before April 1, 2010.

5. Telesat shall demonstrate that it has entered into a contract for the construction of a satellite with an extended ku band DTH payload by July 1, 2011.

6. The operation of the satellite shall be in conformity with the applicable power flux density limits set out in No. 21.16 of the ITU Radio Regulations for this band.

7. Telesat shall not claim protection from terrestrial stations operating in the bands 11.075-11.2 GHz and 11.575-11.7 GHz.

There are 425 licenced terrestrial stations in this band

I'm not washed up yet
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-08-13, 09:10 AM
Veteran

In other words, there are 425 terrestrial users if the band the X-Ku satellite will use, and they are entitled to protection, while users of the G1 satellite are not, so they must curtail the beam to protect those terrestrial users.

The Dish/Direct spot beams are not to protect terrestrial users of the same spectrum, but the dual purpose of protecting the local markets and reusing frequencies.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-08-13, 12:29 PM

Exactly! Directv/Dish uses spotbeams, so they can similcast different stations, on the same frequency, from different satellite locations. It makes it, so a customer in Rochester, New York, can't receive locals from Bakersfield, California, by setting up an account at their parents house.

One other thing. By tightening up their CONUS style footprint, for Canada only, they can distribute a stronger signal in the northern part of North America, instead of the southern states.

Winegard PR8800, YA1713, Zenith7777 Preamp, 42" Aquos 120hz, Samsung UP5000 Blu Ray/HDDVD, C/Ku Band, Directv H21, 22.

Last edited by 57; 2012-08-13 at 11:37 PM. Reason: UQR
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-10-10, 11:31 AM
Rookie

Signals in u.s.

Will the 30" winegard I'm currently using on Bell nimiq 82 work on either of the Shaw 107 or 111-I realize I have to change the lnb's. I also have the 36" with the 30 and 40mm (orig FTA) lnb mount. So, can I use the 30" on 107 and the 36" on 111-? I know I don't need (and may not be able to get the G1)...
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-10-11, 09:29 AM
Veteran

In your case, it will be much easier to get the proper Shaw dish with integrrated XKu quad LNBF.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 2016-05-06, 06:32 PM

I have a SatHero meter. Would I use 10.070 for the input frequency with the xKu LNB?

Thanks
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 2017-10-09, 04:07 PM

Triple LNB question

Does anyone know what happens when a Dual Quad LNB is replaced with a Triple Quad LNB as far as: will the new Triple LNB work with the F1-F2 satellites if the V-code is not changed by Shaw for the Triple LNB?

In other words, would the Triple LNB work out of the box (minus the G1 channels) or does Shaw absolutely need to change the V code so that the Triple LNB can tune the F1 and F2 channels as well as the G1 channels?
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 2017-10-10, 12:34 PM

You will only get the free channels until you call Shaw.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 2017-10-10, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan B View Post
You will only get the free channels until you call Shaw.
Thanks Allan B - I suppose by Free channels you mean the ones on F1 and F2 ?
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 2017-10-10, 09:02 PM
Veteran

He means only the free channels like ShawTV I think. Very few channels.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 10:54 AM
Veteran

The V-code needs set, to account for the fact the X-Ku LNBF provides the F1 satellite signals at a different frequency than the standard Ku LNBF. The F1 frequencies are in effect shifted up so the G1 frequencies fit at the bottom of the LNB IF band.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in