630 Is Hot, Hot, Hot - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-15, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

630 Is Hot, Hot, Hot

I was surprised the other day when I felt the underside of the 630 (when it was off) and noticed it was really hot. I'm clear that it's always on standby even when it's off, but, in comparison, the 530 in a similar standby isn't very hot. Maybe that's why I didn't notice the 630 in this regard previously even though we've had it for close to two years.

When I check the temperature on the hidden menus, it's around 40-ish, so that's not bad for the receiver. But I'm thinking about the heat and that I don't need yet one more hot thing heating up my house unnecessarily. So I'm thinking of unplugging it during the night. But I'm not sure if that would be bad for the receiver or not. Obviously, it would have to reload each day then when I plug it in again.

Does anyone actually unplug the 630 daily? And if so, has there been an issue because of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-15, 06:50 PM
DHC Supporter

I have a Laptop cooling fan on mine, cool all the time. I had on with my bell receiver never moved it, so never really had a problem when I made the change to Shaw
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-15, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

I have a laptop cooling fan on mine too, but that doesn't change the fact that it needs to be cooled down even when it's not on. The problem isn't that it's too hot, the problem is that it's hot at all. And the cooling fan doesn't make it cool anyway, just not as hot. Have you felt that area near the back of the unit? Kind of a metal piece. I'm doubtful that ever cools off completely unless the unit is truly off.

And there's also the electrical usage of the standby mode that now includes the power used (via the USB port) of the laptop fan. I'm not saying it's a ton of electricity, I'm just saying it's more than necessary considering it's not even on.

So I'm just wondering what the potential ramifications would be to unplugging it nightly until the weather cools down in general.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-15, 07:49 PM

If you unplug it every night you do run the risk of new encryption keys coming down while it's uplugged. If that happens you'll have to hit the receiver again. Not a huge deal but it is something that could happen
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-15, 07:55 PM
Veteran

Does the 630 really heat up your whole house?
It may be hot to the touch but I really didn't notice too much hot air around the 630.
I bought one of those cheap $3.00 folding laptop fans from China on Ebay. (free shipping to Canada!). Works okay... Reduced my harddrive by about 6 degrees. 42ish down to 36ish.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-15, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
Does the 630 really heat up your whole house?
It may be hot to the touch but I really didn't notice too much hot air around the 630.
I bought one of those cheap $3.00 folding laptop fans from China on Ebay. (free shipping to Canada!). Works okay... Reduced my harddrive by about 6 degrees. 42ish down to 36ish.
It doesn't heat up the whole house, but it does add to the heat in the room it's in. All of our receivers and two TVs (including a large flat screen) are in that room. And we don't use air conditioning. So anything that doesn't heat up is good. And like I said, it would be worth it if it was doing something. But it's just sitting there being hot when it's on standby. I know the fan you're talking about. I have the same one and as a coincidence, I posted a link here some time ago that got moved to a different forum talking about it because it's so great and so inexpensive. It's worh the $3 for sure. :-)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-15, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartan View Post
If you unplug it every night you do run the risk of new encryption keys coming down while it's uplugged. If that happens you'll have to hit the receiver again. Not a huge deal but it is something that could happen
If that's the only downside, it's not so bad. I was thinking maybe there's something that the 630 might not like when it's forced to reload itself each day...it is a diva receiva after all...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-16, 12:34 AM

Well I can't say that powering it up and down each day won't have a negative affect, just the encription is the only thing I'm aware of that might be affected.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-16, 12:18 PM

From someone with piles of 630's on his desk all the time, the best advice I can give is to just ensure the 630 has adequate ventilation on all sides. The fan will kick in when required to cool it down. As long as you're not stacking components on top of each other (or not placing the 630 on something else that generates a lot of heat, like a home theatre amp) you should be totally fine.

Oh, and avoid placing it (or any home theatre components for that matter) on a soft surface like carpet - this effectively blocks the bottom vents.

Finally, as others have said, we don't recommend unplugging it every night. You're just inviting problems and extra wear, plus all the potentially missed recordings, Guide updates, etc.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 02:03 AM

Is there any point in turning it off at all? (I hear the power consumption is the same off or on...)

Regards,
Jim

Last edited by 57; 2012-07-18 at 03:09 AM. Reason: UQR
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 01:35 PM
Veteran

Turning it off allows scheduled tasks like guide and firmware updates to take place. That's about it. It appears that the 630 continues to buffer programming to disc while off so there is very little advantage for power saving or reducing disk wear. The 630 uses about have the power of most other BDU PVRs so it does have an inherent advantage for power savings.

As far as heat is concerned, there does seem to be a hot spot on the bottom of the unit. That's probably an advantage since it indicates that heat is being drawn off by the case and dissipated. Remember that this is silicon we are talking about. It is much more tolerant to heat that we humans. Silicon chips can operate at temperatures that burn human skin so heat to the touch is not a big issue. Just remember to provide adequate ventilation. That means placing it on a flat, level, smooth surface with at least 2" of space on all other sides in a space that is open to air flow from adjacent areas. The ambient (surrounding) air temperature should also be below 35c.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsathome View Post
Is there any point in turning it off at all? (I hear the power consumption is the same off or on...)
I seem to recall it being pretty close. It's mostly a matter of personal preference and which remote(s) you use to operate your system. If you don't use Master Power and can remember to put your remote back into "SAT" mode after putting it into "TV" mode to turn on the TV, it doesn't much matter!

Guide updates occur regardless of whether the unit is on or off, as soon as it sees new files on the streamer. We usually do firmware updates on a "forced" schedule now, meaning your receiver will take them at 2AM when targeted, regardless of whether the unit is on or off.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 02:06 PM
DHC Supporter

I guess I am lucky mine is warm at best, even on the back.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah12 View Post
I guess I am lucky mine is warm at best, even on the back.
I'm curious -- because it's not the back exactly. It's the underneath part at the back. If you reach underneath from the front, there's what feels like a metal plate underneath at the back. So centre-underneath-back. If you touch that plate on your receiver, it's not hot? Only warm? If so, would you mind posting your 630's temperature in general? And comment as to if your 630 is in a large room that's air conditioned? Like I said, curious...
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 04:48 PM
DHC Supporter

About 74 degrees F, 22 degrees Celsius, just above room temperature. I just touched the entire bottom, held my hand on it, warm not hot. Only have the air conditioning on when needed, in a cabinet with plenty of ventilation, with laptop cooler blowing on it from the side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in