Shaw Direct Channel / Transponder List - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-01-09, 09:31 AM
Veteran

Lyngsat has Shaw Direct listings.

You can also get tuned frequency in diagnostics screen C. It is the tuned IF frequency of the tuner, not satellite RF, and not transponder number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-01-09, 11:49 AM

Bayguy:

Use this:

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/doc..._c_10_12_e.pdf

to translate the advanced to classic on the old xponder map you have. it's like the rosetta stone
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-01-09, 08:55 PM

Ah perfect frenchophile thank you! Yes it looks like were having problems with one xpdr. I'll post in another thread.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-01-20, 10:20 PM
Rookie

Missing 18v 22KHz channels

I seem to have the same issue, missing 18v 22KHz channels. I also have a zinwell 6x8 switch. My setup consists of 1 x 630, 2 x 605, 2 x 505 recievers. I switched the 18v 22KHz input with another input on the switch. All channels started working. A few hours later, same channels quit working again. That would make me thinks it's a bad multi switch. I know other people have had good results with the non-powered zinwell, but now I'm wondering if I should be using a powered switch like shaw recommends. All my cables are RG6 with compression connectors less than 100' long. Is there any reason that the 18v 22KHz channels would be more difficult than the others for the recievers to make the switch tune to?
Thanks in advance.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-05-14, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Here we go again

Well, here we go again. My Father In Law has a similar problem back again. Missing channels.

Quad LNB (not the new triple satelllite LNB), Zinwell 4x8 switch, 2 530's and 1 505. All receivers are behaving the same giving the "Acquiring Satellite Signal" message on what looks to me to be the F1R Verticle channels this time.

This is at his residence in Washington State so I am his Installer/Repairman. Last year he had the same scenario (which I started this topic to discuss) except it was the F2 Horizontal Channels that were AWOL then.

Is there an updated Transponder list anywhere? The link elsewhere in this topic no longer works. I have a copy of the list mentioned in this topic lbut there seem to be a few descrepancies now as I assume that Shaw D has moved some channels around.

The problem went away last year when I swapped the LNB out with another one I had lying around but I wasn't completely convinced the replacement was good. The plastic cover is long gone on this one as well. I suggested that he try to get Shaw D to send him a new LNB but I suspect that they will want to charge $50 even though it is a repair and wont ship to the US etc.

Has anyone determined if the Zinwell switches will work with the new triple satellite LNB? Getting a replacement LNB will cause more problems if he has to replace the switch as well.

Thanks again for your help!

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-05-14, 08:39 AM

This page has the old channel numbers... but if you use the advanced lineup, channel descriptions still work.

http://www.shawbroadcast.ca/Content/...nnelCharts.htm

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-05-14, 09:20 AM
Veteran

The XKu LNBF is technically not a triple, as there still are two slots it picks up. One just uses a different LO, so it can receiver the lower frequency satellite and normal Ku satellite, both co-located at 107.3.

With that the switch supports 950 to 2050 Mhz, it will work with the XKu LNBF, and get the new satellite when available.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-05-14, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Magnet: Thanks for the new transponder lists.

Classicsat: thanks for the Zinwell switch info. I have wondered if these switches would continue to work with the new LNB ever since it was introduced.

Any installers in the Greater Vancouver area with a surplus of changed out Quad LNB's from upgrades?

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-05-15, 12:46 AM

Cool Don't discount the Switch being the problem this time...

Don't discount the Switch being the problem this time, or a cable / connection issue into F1 Vertical -> the 13V (no 22Khz) input on your Multiswitch.

Shaw Quad LNBs use an internal switch which responds to 13V for Vertical, and 18V for Horizontal, and 22Khz switched to the F2 side of the LNB. (While no tone leaves the LNB tuned to F1R)

If it is the multiswitch, I got a deal a while back at Princess Auto in Coquitlam for a Phillips SDW5058. It's worked great for the last couple years at the Cabin. There are lots of multiswitches that'll work with Shaw Direct gear.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited by 57; 2013-05-15 at 09:47 AM. Reason: UQR
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-05-15, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim.

I am going to start by cutting the switch out of the circuit eliminating the 5th output coax that feeds their 505. They spend much of the summer at their cabin at Tulameen anyway so won't miss that TV location at their house. This should quickly prove if it is the switch or the LNB. It has been a frustrating on again off again problem. Cables should all be good RG6 grease filled with compression connections. But I will check everything over just in case. The LNB to switch cables might have been pre made short cables as the switch is beside the dish. I am beginning to wonder if one of them may be the problem. Will make up my own replacements.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-05-15, 02:43 AM

Cool

Although it may be a chore as the Switch is next to the Dish, the place to start is on the Switch as all recievers display the same problem.

Assuming you have the Zinwell 4x8 Multi-Switch with AC/DC Module Model SAM-4803; the LNB input connections from left to right are 18V, 13V, 13V 22Khz, and 18V 22Khz. (These values are cast into the Case near the Connectors.)

So all you need to do, after you check the Cables & Connectors so none are loose, damaged, or corroded: is swap the two cables on the top left of the Switch (the 18V & 13V inputs). If the issue remains when you check the receivers (...""Acquiring Satellite Signal" message on what looks to me to be the F1R Verticle channels this time." ), then the issue is the Switch. If you now have issues on F1 Horizontal Channels the issue is the LNB.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Jim
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-05-15, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

It is the Zinwell WB68 non powered switch but same idea. I assume that the labels on the 4 ports ofthe switch that connect to the Quad LNB indicate how the associated LNB port will be set up by the switch and it doesn't matter which port on the LNB the switch ports are connected to.

Hopefully I take everything with me that I will need to identify and hopefully solve this problem. Quite likely this weekend. I wish I had a known good spare LNB on hand but I will figure it out.

Thanks for all the help.

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-05-16, 01:20 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae_collector View Post
It is the Zinwell WB68 non powered switch but same idea. I assume that the labels on the 4 ports ofthe switch that connect to the Quad LNB indicate how the associated LNB port will be set up by the switch and it doesn't matter which port on the LNB the switch ports are connected to.
Correct, it's that ability that help diagnose issues.

Regards,
Jim
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-05-25, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, this is a little embarrasing. When I found the problem it instantly came back to me that this was the exact same cause of trouble as I found last year when the problem last came up. I had all sorts of replacement parts and cables on hand only to head up the ladder and find a mud wasp nest in one of the LNB horns.

I don't know why I have had so many LNB's where the plastic cover disintegrates and disappears. Do others have this problem too? Maybe there was a bad batch of plastic covers with no UV protection in it. Once the wasps were evicted and a slight readjustment of the dish took place to further improve the signal, all is well again. Happy In-laws once again.

Back when I was a Shaw D customer I tried numerous times with no luck at all getting then to replace my coverless LNB so I gave up. Then wouldn't you know it, I was talking with them about something else and happened to mention the coverless LNB and they swung into action to replace it. The secret was to just give up and then they came through.

I suspect now that they are actively selling customers the *new* LNB that trying to get a replacement sent out N/C will be futile. Father-in-law decided to give it a try though. Called in with only a 15-20 minute wait. Once answered he had to be transferred after he explained the problem and was met with a 45 minute estimated wait time at which point he hung up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in