NHL 2012-13 West schedule - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-10, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

NHL 2012-13 West schedule

Hi All,

I'm a long time Oilers fan living in Toronto. Oiler games have always started at 7pm local time (9pm in Toronto) which is the perfect mix for easterners to watch west games. Last year they changed the start times to 7:30pm for most Oiler home games. I sent an email to the NHL, and to the Edmonton Oilers explaining that the extra half hour delay is very bad for easterners since now the earliest a game will end is at midnight (EST). This year they've stuck with the 7:30pm local start time and now flames games are also starting at 7:30.

I have been subscribing to NHL CI every year but now b/c of the end times of the games, I can no longer catch the third period...so really what's the point of watching a game if you can't watch the end. So that extra half hour means they will lose a dedicated NHL CI subscriber. SD will now lose out as well, so this should be in there best interest as well.

Any ideas on how we can get them to change it back to a 7pm start? IMO west games should start at the earliest possible times to accommodate the eastern audiences and east games should start as late as possible (7:30 or 8pm) to accommodate fans in the west.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-10, 11:53 AM

On game night, may I suggest grabbing a nap before game time and staying up a little later to watch the game.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-10, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

LOL. Two small kids that run around don't leave me time for naps. Plus I highly doubt the wife would appreciate that.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-10, 12:13 PM

When I was living in Halifax, I would PVR the Flames game and grab a nap for the first period or two and then get up and watch the game in about 75 minutes and go back to bed. Now that I'm back in cowtown, I will PVR the game and start watching it after the kids go to bed. The amount of time saved by not watching commercials or the intermissions is insane.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-10, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Absolutely. I agree. Last year when i realized I should be PVRing the games I would do so and just watch the whole thing in just over an hour versus 2.5-3hrs. But I was off work last winter so I would just watch them usually the first thing the next morning. Now that i'm back to work i won't be able to catch them until the next evening, where, chances are I would find out the score. Not interested in that.

BTW - Another tip: Set the skip forward button to 20s and skip the b/w whistles as well. Turns a hockey game into something closer to a soccer game where you actually only watch a non-stop clock.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-10, 12:53 PM

d_source,

The NHL is like an Oil Company, they give a flyin' ____ what you think.

Therefore, buy yourself a PVR and record the game.

I own a PVR and they work awesome.

Take care and good luck.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-10, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

^^^LOL. Thanks. I have 2 PVRs and do record the games. But I'd prefer not to have to watch them the next day, hence this post.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-10, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_source View Post
Hi All,

I'm a long time Oilers fan living in Toronto. Oiler games have always started at 7pm local time (9pm in Toronto) which is the perfect mix for easterners to watch west games. Last year they changed the start times to 7:30pm for most Oiler home games. I sent an email to the NHL, and to the Edmonton Oilers explaining that the extra half hour delay is very bad for easterners since now the earliest a game will end is at midnight (EST). This year they've stuck with the 7:30pm local start time and now flames games are also starting at 7:30.
The majority of Flames home games are still at 1900h Mountain. There are only seven games starting at 1930h this season plus one weeknight game at 2000h. The Flames have actually been decreasing the later weeknight start times for the past three seasons.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-11, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

^^^You are correct. Not sure where I saw it originally. Must have just focused on the 7:30 games. Why would one Alberta city continue the earlier start time and the other push for later games?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-11, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

I've sent emails to the NHL, Edmonton Oilers, Sportsnet, and to Shaw Direct. If there are any others willing to help, please do, I'd really appreciate it. The more voices, the better the reaction would be.

Thx
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-11, 09:54 PM

While you are at it can you get the West Coast teams to play earlier and maybe get the English premier league start times pushed back so I don't have to get up so early to watch them. Oh don't forget about the Leaf fans in BC, you should ask the Leafs to start their home games at 9:30 or 10:00 eastern time for west coast Leaf fans so they can have time to get home from work and have supper before the game instead of missing most of it like they currently do(oh wait they probably PVR it). Shaw Direct? What can they do for you, they have no say in the matter. I think you and I are both lucky that they even carry Center Ice.

Seriously. Start times are set by a variety of reasons, none of which have to do with convenience for out of market viewers except in the case of late rounds of the playoffs or national TV(like when the Leafs go to Vancouver). Let's see I'm guessing the priority goes something like this: building availability, TV network(s)/advertisers, local fans, opposing team's travel schedule, fan safety/commute (including other events occuring at the same time). I realize some of those reasons don't apply to the Oilers which just makes it easier for them to do what they think is best for them and their local fans/TV network/advertisers.

While YOU may not like 7:30 start times, I am sure there are others that do. The eastern games are able to wind up before the Oilers game starts. Since people are likely to watch a close game to the end and miss the start of a later game, that means they might have less of an audience until the eastern games are finished. I'm guessing the local restuarants and bars likely don't mind the extra half hour that the evening lasts. I'm sure the Flames have their reasons for 7:00 just like the Oilers have their reasons for 7:30. In fact they may stagger their start times becaue of each other and TV. When they play on the same night, it allows fans to switch back and forth between games since the intermissions are staggered allowing the chance to see the majority of both games.

I applaud you for trying to do something about a situation you don't like but there are likely far better causes to apply those energies to than trying to get the NHL/Oilers to change the start time for the benefit of a viewer in Ontario. They will likely suggest to PVR it as well
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

I put effort in everything. If you do nothing, expect nothing.

Easiest thing for me to do actually is stop subbing to NHL CI, which is what will likely happen if things don't change. And stop watching hockey altogether like most leaf fans in my area have done.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 11:17 AM

Location: Penticton, BC, SC 505 HD, Westinghouse 32" HD LCD Widescreen, Yamaha RVX3800, eleganza 5.1 speakers
first off don't waste your time staying up to watch, or for that matter PVR, the flames games! LOL

kinda sucks with such a simple 30 minute change can impact peeps so much! PVR the oilers and enjoy at your leisure!

Yamaha RVX3800, Eleganza Speakers, Epson Pro Cinema 1080p, 106" Accuscreen
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-14, 01:28 AM
Rookie

a real/true hockey fan (like you say you are) would stay up till the game ended. even if they had a job or kids.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2012-07-15, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

^^^Thx for your extremely helpful solution. I'll call on you every time i have a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in