VOD and Xplornet - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2012-07-07, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

VOD and Xplornet

I was just trying out the new VOD service from Shaw Direct - and unfortunately, if you have Xplornet (which Shaw Direct promotes through their Anywhere Bundle) it doesn't work.

I have the fastest fixed wireless service available from Xplornet - 5Mbs - however, due to their throttling policy, that only gets you a sustained rate of 1Mbs - see http://www.xplornet.com/traffic-management/canopy/ . And VOD needs 1.5Mbs to work.

Given that both Xplornet and Shaw Direct are pushing this Anywhere Bundle, you would think that they should get their act together and relax their throttling policy to permit a download speed fast enough so that their combined service actually functions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2012-07-08, 03:02 AM

That's an Xploernet issue though. What would you have Shaw Direct do? Tell Xplornet how to run their own company? It's unfortunate that they throttle that way, but it's not really something Shaw can do anything about.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2012-07-08, 08:56 AM

I'm on the newer Xplornet 4G WiMax system. VOD works for me, but only for SD. Even though I'm on the top-tier WiMax package, my speeds aren't consistent enough for HD. But there's no throttling on 4G like their is on Canopy. You may want to investigate upgrading.

I'd be interested to know if an Xplornet 4G satellite user can use VOD. I'm suspecting not.

And yeah, you're right, the "partnership" is a bit weird all things considered. I don't think the Xplornet Marketing side discussed this with the technical side. But since I have both now, I should be able to fill in a form and get 10% off my Xplornet (have to remember to do that today).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2012-07-08, 10:35 AM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
I'm not sure what the driver was from Shaw Direct on VOD... Oh, wait a second... Revenue?

As an existing customer, I would rather they put the time and coding effort into supporting an external drive.

I can't verify this but I think perhaps they may have some flawed assumptions about their customer base. Perhaps they believe that the set of customers who have sufficient Internet speeds will buy enough VOD to support the investment. Or perhaps it was a quick and dirty bolt on to leverage the rest of the Shaw infrastructure so the marketing folks can put another bullet in the advertising.

My personal belief is that the Shaw Direct customer base today and into the future are/will be either rural or "rurban", and are extremely bandwidth challenged. From the reports of others so far I suspect a very, very small number of customers will ever have the bandwidth to support VOD. And then, how many of those are willing to pay for VOD add ons.

With my nominal "up to 4 Mbps" fixed wireless connection my 630 won't even let me run a standard definition stream.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in