Have all SD, no HD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2012-07-02, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Exclamation Have all SD, no HD

Hi Everyone,
I have a home-away-from-home satellite that I take camping with me. At home we have SD and HD working perfectly using DSR605. The last two times I have gone camping I cannot get the HD to work, using our DSR600. I have 97% signal on channel 299 and all other SD channels are comparably strong. When I tune to a HD channel it says the satellite has lost signal and is trying to acquire. Does anyone know what could be happening?

Thanks.

Also, I have switched remotes. I highly doubt this would be an issue, but could it be some weird cause of this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2012-07-02, 10:28 AM

Hi. I install Bell and Shaw, and it can be a pain sometimes.

I would look at a couple of things;

1. At home, which LNB do you have installed, the older Dual Satellite Quad or the new Triple Satellite Quad? BOTH satellite dishes MUST have the same LNB on them.

I assume you are the Primary Account Holder and that both receivers are on your account.

If both dishes have identical LNB's, proceed to 2.

2. If you are using the older Dual Satellite Quad LNB, there is possibility the internal switch has failed on your camping dish's LNB. To test it...

3. Install the camping 600 receiver at home, using the house dish. Does it work properly? If yes, go to 4.

4. Mark both LNB's so you don't mix them up. Remove the House LNB from your house dish, and install the camping LNB. Check your home 605 receiver. Is it working properly? Check the camping 600 receiver. Is it working properly? If not, the camping LNB needs to be replaced.

If both receivers are working fine at home, using both LNB's, then you know you may be setting up the camping dish incorrectly.

Hope this helps,

Gord
GT Installs
Ajax, Ontario
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2012-07-02, 10:37 AM

ALso when camping, make sure the pole your dish sits on is perfectly plumb.

And, when you check signal strength, make sure you go to Ch.299 first, and then go to the signal strength window.

Is the bar graph turning green and indicating 97% signal strength?

If yes, then you are definitely locked on the correct satellite for 299.

The HD channels should then work, unless as I stated earlier, the internal switch on the LNB has failed.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2012-07-06, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi,
Thanks for your help. We have tried the LNB at home and it worked fine. However we are currently camping getting a signal of 93 on channel 299. On the HD channel EMM Provider ID is green showing our # showing 0 signal.

So we know the LNB is working, what could I be doing wrong?

Please help,
Thanks again.

EDIT: I just went through all of the HD channels and we are getting 302, 312, 316, 319, 364, 365, 366 with a signal of 95. Could we be tuned into one of the satellites and not the other? The other HD channels are flicking a red bar signal from 0-99 when the wind blows. Also channels such as 67 CTV Kitchener and CBCPEI 79 are both on the second satellite and we are not getting these channels. Could a tree be blocking the second satellie or something? Any ideas?

Last edited by Confuzzeled23; 2012-07-06 at 05:48 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2012-07-06, 05:48 PM

Even with just the dish connected you should be getting 25%.
0% indicates that portion of you LNB may not be connected or working.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2012-07-07, 11:23 PM

I just re-read your original post.

Did you try bringing the camping receiver (DSR600) home and trying it using your house dish?

Maybe your camping receiver is not working properly.

If you haven't done it already, bring that receiver home and try it there.

If it's still acting up, you may need to call Shaw for some advice or a re-hit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in