6XX Software Update - 07.33 - June 2012 - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-12, 09:23 AM
Rookie

No "The Movie Network" on VOD???

I was surprised not to see anything from my "The Movie Network" (TMN) subscription available via VOD. I called customer support, and was informed that TMN is not yet available on demand. (Although the western equivelent "Movie Central" is available)

Can anybody else with a TMN subscription confirm this? My experience with Shaw direct support is that I don't always get the correct answer on my first call!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-12, 09:29 AM
Veteran

It's probably just a technical or contractual issue. TMN VOD is available from other providers. This is a new service so give them a little more time to put the pieces in place.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #48 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-12, 09:37 AM
Veteran

You can do wireless through a bridge or a powerline extender. Direct wired is best though.

post #49 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-12, 11:00 AM

^^^So more hardware would be necessary to get it to work. I doubt i'll be using the VOD service very often to necessitate buying the extra hardware, especially since I have 2 PVRs. If this update included a whole home PVR feature or allowed an external HDD for recording using a 600, i'd be all over it so that i can get more use of the one receiver that sits outside of my home network. I'll try VOD on the other receivers but i'm doubtful i'll really use it.

Thanks.
post #50 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-12, 11:39 AM

605 updated

Hi Jimbo thank you it looks like it did update again overnight and is now 7.33. We did have 6.22 before so I dont know what happened the first 20 mins. But I just looked and we have the new auto-timer so were happy about that! It looks like we can even set the exact time we want like one minute before and after which is something we've missed before now. Thanks Shaw for this new feature!
post #51 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-12, 03:19 PM

Is anyone able to get anything to play on VOD. I can see everything but nothing will play for me. Just wondering if it is just me.
post #52 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 01:23 AM

Does anyone know if VOD counts against your broadband usage if you are on Shaw Internet?
post #53 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 09:29 AM
Veteran

Yes you need extra hardware. Its only network connection is is Ethernet. Even USB would require an adapter, and it is unlikely they will add wireless networking at all with a USB adapter, the least with retail "PC" adapters, as many embedded system developers expressly do not support.
post #54 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud21ca View Post
Is anyone able to get anything to play on VOD. I can see everything but nothing will play for me. Just wondering if it is just me.
Hi bud21ca,

Are you seeing an error message? Or does nothing happen when you press ENTER on a title?

We may just have to refresh your account on our end. If you can PM me your account number (or Unit Address found in OPTIONS 4-7) we can run through and make sure everything is okay.
post #55 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Does anyone know if VOD counts against your broadband usage if you are on Shaw Internet?
Hi tripod,

As far as I know, yes.

If you're concerned about bandwidth consumption, you can always set a limit in the VOD Settings menu. Details are on our website. Shaw also lets you log in and view your current usage.

That said, with the limits Shaw has you'd need to be streaming for hours a day, every day, to even come close to exceeding your included data.
post #56 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 01:54 PM

My receiver doesn't seem to detect my wireless network. It says "not available". Is there a way to connect the receiver wirelessly? If so how? I have a d-link router.
post #57 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 03:10 PM

Location: Ottawa, ON; Shaw Direct HDPVR630; Samsung HLT5687; Harmon/Kardon AVR247; Harmon/Kardon HKTS11
No wireless connection available.

Quote:
1. Connect your Shaw Direct satellite receiver directly to your home router
or
2. Connect your Shaw Direct satellite receiver through a powerline bridge
http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/cus...wtoconnect.asp
post #58 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 04:20 PM
Veteran

It should also work if connected to a wireless access point or a wireless router configured as an access point. That's extra hardware though.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #59 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 05:03 PM

Got my update yesterday. Is it possible to get the VOD using a wireless router and connecting a tablet or a netbook to the receiver??
post #60 of 286 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 07:21 PM

Well, gave the VOD a shot because my PS3 is hardwired and right next to my 630. The interface is clunky and once it became apparent that the remote wasn't very responsive, I decided to not bother.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in