Launch of new Satellite - Anik-G1 - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-12-30, 09:21 AM

Dec 27 release from ILS

Quote:
ILS has formed a Failure Review Oversight Board (FROB) in serial process at the conclusion of the Russian Commission. The FROB will review the Commission’s final report and corrective action plan, in accordance with U.S. and Russian government export control regulations. The FROB will begin in Moscow after the report is issued and consists of ILS customers, industry subject experts, and insurance industry representatives. The FROB will provide an independent review of the investigation, root cause and corrective actions of the Russian Commission required prior to return to commercial flight. After the conclusion of the FROB, the FROB report will be briefed to ILS customers and the launch insurance industry.
As noted earlier, there will be no more ILS Proton launches until the insurance industry is satisfied.

Satmex has told ILS that Satmex 5 has enough fuel remaining to last to June 2013. So one can expect G1 to be operational at the end of summer 2013 if ILS corrective measures are in place by May.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-12-30, 09:14 PM

I am starting to lose hope that any new satellite for Shaw Direct will be in operational by even this time next year. Questions to ask Shaw D is what is their plan B (if any) to address there issues of lack of space for any new channels. What happens in June with the CRTC demains for the additional local channels Shaw Direct requires to add?
post #93 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-12-31, 01:13 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If the Sat has not launched by then, I'm sure SD could invoke Force Majeure

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #94 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-12-31, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I'm sure SD could invoke Force Majeure
The CRTC has told SD that the locals have to be launched by June 30/13 whether G1 is operational or not.

They'll just have to change 2 or 3 F1R or F2 transponders to MPEG4 to make it happen.

I'm not washed up yet
post #95 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-12-31, 03:16 PM

What is the process for SD to change a transponder to MPEG 4, is there anything mechanical? or is it purely software related?
post #96 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-01-01, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny001 View Post
..... to change a transponder to MPEG 4, is there anything mechanical?....?
Mechanical for sure, as my understanding is that only the 6XX series of receivers are Mpeg4 capable. So, lots of receivers will need upgrading.

Additionally, SD is currently not supporting the stacked LNB dishes for any of the present day Mpeg4 channels. These dishes are widely distributed, including multi-tenant complexes, due to the preference to run fewer coax cables to each unit. Replacing these dishes and running the additional coax required for non-stacked implementation would be a very big deal.

So, potentially a big can of worms for Shaw.....especially if they have to fast track things.
post #97 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-01-01, 11:37 AM
Veteran

As far as home customers are concerned, yes it is at least upgrading pre 6xx receivers with 6xx models, and replacing stacked LNBFs, at least.

There is also the upgrading of cable headend receivers, QT receivers/systems, as well as the uplink encoder. Not to mention they likely want to go 8PSK while they are at it, so that is more things that need upgraded.
post #98 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-01-01, 01:39 PM
Veteran

Thumbs down M what?

Shaw Direct will need to replace the LNBFs for Anik G1, so that is a red herring. IIRC, they switched to 8PSK a couple of years ago. The main issue is swapping out the 500 series receivers. Since they were sold with the promise of MPEG4 compatibility, Shaw should have done that already. (In some countries, Shaw would have been hit with a class action suit due to product misrepresentation.) That leaves head end receivers. That would come under operating costs for CANCOM and the cable/BDU companies that use them. Let's see, what does that leave as an excuse for Shaw Direct not deploying MPEG4 to at least some channels in order to increase capacity. Apart from Shaw being run by a bunch of small minded, deceitful, narcissistic scumbags, I can't think of any.
post #99 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-01-01, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Apart from Shaw being run by a bunch of small minded, deceitful, narcissistic scumbags, I can't think of any.
Come on.....quit beating around the bush.....Tell us what you really think!!
post #100 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-01-01, 04:33 PM

Cool I don't think that a sound business case can be made for that...

Folks,

There's considerable ranting going on here without a lot of thought.

SD can't get G1 into service alone and everyone knows that (CRTC included). They cannot be blamed for this even though many folks want to slag them for not having more HD channels.

(IMHO you can drop all non HD channels and only beam in HD. I care not if some small community local channels are lost in the shuffle but then I'm not the CRTC. To me it's all about the Quality of the service and I see no value in getting 8 "different channels" with 90% of the content the same except for local news.)

With the tardiness of G1 going into position that really impacts SD's schedule for compliance with CRTC rulings. I'd expect them to go to the CRTC for an extension as SD is doing all it can.

I know the argument is to forget reasonableness and force SD to move everthing to MPEG ASAP and comply with the local channel requirements. That would put SD into a position of selling / discounting /giving MPEG capable recievers (and installing a lot of new Dishes) for technically grandfathered Customers. I don't think that a sound business case can be made for that position, especially when G1 operation is beyond SD's control.

Of course in the meantime SD will lose some Customers to other suppliers as they will lose patience and jump ship. Some of these folks will do that regardless of what SD does. I just don't think it will be my family nor the majority of SDs present Customers.

Regards,
Jim
post #101 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-01-01, 04:51 PM

Quote:
SD can't get G1 into service alone and everyone knows that (CRTC included). They cannot be blamed for this even though many folks want to slag them for not having more HD channels.
Total BS. The CRTC MUST come down hard and stop babying Shaw.

Like every other satellite company in the world, Shaw knows that MPEG4 takes only 1/2 the bandwidth of MPEG2.

DirecTV had change to MPEG4 to service their customers properly.
Dish had change to MPEG4 to service their customers properly.
Bell Satellite had change to MPEG4 to service their customers properly.

Too many Shaw homers continue to make excuses for the non competitive SD offerings and sub standard hardware year after year after year.

Brad Shaw took home $15,851,336 with a further $937,000 in unexercized options in 2011 - the 4th highest pay in Canada. No one in Canada deserves that.

And this doesn't include J.R. Senior + J.R. Junior take.

The Shaw clan: Overpaid
Shaw Direct: substandard offering.
post #102 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-01-01, 05:45 PM
Veteran

Right on. If G1 had launched on time, the new LNBF and MPEG4 rollout would be required right now. It would have been happening since last year. Shaw is just delaying the rollout until next year so the Shaw clan can stuff extra money into their already fat, private bank accounts this year. Or maybe they were thinking the Mayans were right and MPEG4 wouldn't be needed. Who knows. This is the second time I've tried Shaw Direct and the second time I've been burned by their myopic attitude and substandard technology. I'm outta here in the near future.
post #103 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-01-02, 12:27 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Several OT posts removed. Please stick to the topic. Thanks.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #104 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-01-02, 09:59 AM
Veteran

LNBF upgrades are not a red herring, mostly.
Because they opted to not make MPEG4 maps/V-code for Stacked LNBFs, it required to switch those to a non-stacked LNBF, so when they are at it, they are switching those to G1 capable LNBFs.
post #105 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-01-02, 10:47 AM

Quote:
LNBF upgrades are not a red herring, mostly.
So why isn't SD having all the dealers installing the new LNBFs + swapping 6XX to existing customers now?

Let's look at the facts here.

The new locals will be going up this year - whether it's to G1 or F1R or F2. 6XX receivers will be required. SD will have to buy the encoders and build the uplink infrastructure regardless of the G1 delays. Just as soon as these new local channels are active, most existing subs in these areas will want to receive them without a significant outlay of cash. Especially true for those who know their neighbours without SD are being offered free 630 or 2 X 600 setups via mail and door to door SD reps.

I'm not washed up yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in