Launch of new Satellite - Anik-G1 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 02:11 PM

As far as things stand currently:

To keep receiving current packages no change is needed.

New channels (when launched- probably late '12 early '13) you will need the 600 series receivers and a new LNB.

These lnb's are 'currently' available for a 50$ charge for loyal customers. I think this will change when you want to subscibe to the new channels- imho- this lnb will be free with subscriptions.

No rush- it will all unfold in time... it is Shaw Direct after all

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 10:42 PM

If you had a new system installed in November 2011 you likely have the latest LNB already.

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #33 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 01:22 PM

cableredneck I think people said that NatGeoWild HD is an MPEG4 channel so if you can get that on 253/337 (Classic/Advanced) I think that means you have the new LNB and your okay. Maybe somebody here can say for sure whether that's true.

post #34 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 01:52 PM
Veteran

If you are getting NatGeoWild HD that means you have a 600 series receiver which is MPEG4 capable, but this channel is on one of the current satellites, so it does not guarantee that you have the new lnb.
post #35 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 06:35 PM

I am receiving NatGeoWild on freeview. We have the SD and HD version of the channel. How do I know if I have the new lnb?? Our dish is 6.5 months old. (Was installed in Nov 2011).
post #36 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ77 View Post
If you are getting NatGeoWild HD that means you have a 600 series receiver which is MPEG4 capable, but this channel is on one of the current satellites, so it does not guarantee that you have the new lnb.
I have a 630 but cannot receive the HD version of National Geographic Wild. The reason is that Shaw Direct has not, and will not, be creating the necessary "V-code" to accommodate the combination of Mpeg4 compression and a dual-stacked lnb.

I went around this merry-go-round last fall when attempting to subscribe to the NHL premium channels which were also in Mpeg4. The cure was to upgrade to the new lnb but, at that time at least, it was not available for the 75 cm dish...only the 60cm model.

Is anyone aware if an upgrade is now available for the 75cm model? Price??
post #37 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 02:17 AM
Veteran

The 75cm dish new lnb exists. How you will get one, I'm not sure.
post #38 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 02:44 AM

okay thanks TJ77 I was half right. ;-)

cableredneck you can look at the lable on the LNBF I'm pretty sure it will say "xLNBF" if its the new one.
post #39 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 07:36 AM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzink View Post
The 75cm dish new lnb exists. How you will get one, I'm not sure.
You call SD up and ask for one, that is what I did.
post #40 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 08:38 AM

Don't need the new LNB

If Shaw told you you needed the new LNB to get NHL centre ice then they lied to you, or you misunderstood. The new LNB is presently useless because the new satellite is not even launched yet. The new LNB is not what you require to receive MPEG 4, you need only a 600 series receiver. Centre Ice, as well as Sunday ticket packages were on Anik F2 last season and were converted to MPEG 4 format.
post #41 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 08:44 AM

Nat Geo

As for Nat Geo Wild, what dish set up do you have? If you have a 75E and receiver other HD programming, and have a 600 series receiver, there is no reason you can't get Nat Geo HD. CHannel 253, I am watching it as we speak with my 630 and I have 2 x 1.2 meter dish, no new LNB
post #42 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 08:48 AM

Just realized

sorry, I just realized you indicated STACKED lnb, disregard, I've sent you a PM with where you can buy a 75E XKU LNB. I've installed many systems for this dealer.
post #43 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 02:23 PM
Veteran

Now that the new lnb is available and you have a valid reason for an upgrade, I'm pretty sure if you insist Shaw will provide the upgrade. No need to pay.
I have one due to trying to solve problems and when I insisted I needed one for the rv then, they tried to charge $75. I insisted it wasn't my doing that necessitated the 2nd one so I paid shipping only.
post #44 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-08-18, 11:28 AM

Anik G1 launch delayed indefinitely

All Proton Breeze launches have been suspended indefinitely.

http://www.ilslaunch.com/newsroom/ne...llites-anomaly

Quote:
On August 7 at the Federal Space Agency-led by V.A.Popovkin a meeting of the Interdepartmental Commission (IDC) was held to analyze the causes of the abnormal launch of carrier rocket "Proton-M" with upper block (RB) "Briz-M" and spacecraft "Express MD2 "and" Telkom-3 ', which occurred on the eve from the Baikonur cosmodrome.

On the first day the members of the IDC conducted a rapid analysis of the received telemetry data, based on which a preliminary conclusion can be drawn about the normal functioning of the management system of the Briz-M RB. It is also noted that the RB engine did not come out to the nominal thrust, as a result it was automatically shut-off.

Until the causes of the contingency are elucidated, preparations for RB launches are suspended.

In the Commission, which is headed by the First Deputy General Director of FSUE TsNIIMash O.P.Skorobogatov, were formed six working groups in key areas.

During the meeting were heard the leaders of the enterprises - manufacturers of rocket and space technology V.E.Nesterov (Director General of Khrunichev), A.S.Syrov (Chief Designer of FSUE OKB "Mars"), V.A. Petrik (CEO of KBHM.Isaev).

Addressing the participants of the meeting, the head of the Russian Federal Space Agency asked to organize a thorough search for the causes that led to the contingency, and "not a witch hunt." According to him the degree of guilt of specific employees from the chief to the department manager of the agency, will be judged only after carrying out all necessary verification activities. Also required staff modifications will be implemented. "A number of media statements by unnamed representatives of the aerospace industry that personnel actions concerning a number of leaders have already been taken are not true", - said V.A.Popovkin.
Also affected: EchoStar-16 and SatMex-8
post #45 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-08-18, 02:09 PM

Quote:
All Proton Breeze launches have been suspended indefinitely.
As we all know, Anik G1, was due to be launched in 2012; is it possible for another agency to launch the sat??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in