Launch of new Satellite - Anik-G1 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-05-15, 08:01 PM

yes, you will need an xku lnb.

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-05-15, 08:59 PM
Veteran

Possibly by the end of the year...if the launch is successful.
post #18 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-05-16, 10:16 AM
Veteran

You need a xKu LNBF, dish if you don't have an appropriate elliptical dish, and 6xx series receiver.

post #19 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-05-16, 04:35 PM

I have an elliptical dish. Will I need a replacement? I assume replacements are free?
post #20 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-05-18, 10:05 AM
Veteran

Just the LNBF needs replaced then. It should be free.
post #21 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-05-18, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
Just the LNBF needs replaced then. It should be free.
I was told the following by SD:

"The elliptical dish you currently have will work with the new dvr630’s but there is a part to your dish (the LNBF) that is unable to “see” the 3rd satellite. We do offer an upgrade at a reduced price for $50.00"
post #22 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-05-18, 11:38 AM

Hi maybe I'm just wishful thinking but if people with the old LNBFs need to buy a new one for $50 to see the new bird then maybe thats more evidence like people have said that the new sat will have extra channels not the main channels because think how angry people would be if everyone who has Shaw had to pay $50 to keep getting there main channels. What Im saying is maybe this is good news for people like us in "southern" Canada who won't be able to see the new sat. I've seen people guessing that the new one wont have important channels and maybe this means they're right.

Well a person can hope.
post #23 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-05-18, 01:05 PM

Well if it's not free, then i don't need any of the new channels anyways. But i'm sure when i sign up for NHL CI next season they'll come running to install it for free.
post #24 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-05-19, 10:20 PM

I gather no one really knows what channels will be on this new sat, is there an expectation that NHL centre ice channels will be on it? I am looking at becoming a bell refugee because of my place down south and switching to SD, but will likely need to get CI as well. Which if I can't get hockey really throws a wrench in. Or I should say yet another wrench.
post #25 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-05-19, 11:20 PM

Bell just launch their new Sat that will cut off snow birds in the south. I was thinking that Shaw would benefit from this. They would get more subs but if Shaw changes their foot print which I hope they don't. I'm not a snow bird. I'm with bell and would like to see competition.
post #26 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-04, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
JCM

Does any one actually know what will happen if one dosn't upgrade their LNB (due to a mobile sat dish on a motorhome) and what might still be available in the USA for snowbirds next year?
post #27 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 02:17 AM

JCM,

My understanding is you will get exactly what you have now. Shaw has a lot of Customers with the old gear who will not be signing up for the new HD channels expected on the new bird. They have 505s, 530s, etc., and don't want to pay for the 6xx boxes and a new LNB, so everything will remain as it is on the 2 existing birds.

(Of course those with special Sports packages may be migrated to the new bird but I expect SD to give them special deals on the hardware as those channels make huge income.)

I certainly don't think the folks using SD south of the border have much to worry about in the short term.

Regards,
Jim
post #28 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 10:31 AM
Veteran

Short term, if you don't do anything, no change. Who knows what happens if and when they begin moving channels from normal MPEG2 SD or HD to 8psk/MPEG4.

If it is a non-stacked dish setup, I think a 600 series receiver will work to get all current programming with it. A stacked dish will require an LNBF change.

Nothing on G1 will be available much south of Canada, All that ends up remaining on the F1r/F2 satellite should be receivable in "south" Canada
post #29 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 12:11 PM

i really hope they Add All NFL and NHL games in HD with the New Sat
because Sports in stander definition is unwatchable!!
post #30 of 290 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 12:33 PM

I am confused as to what is going to happen with the new satellite and the equipment necessary to access the channels on it. We have an elliptical dish with a 605 receiver. Do we need to change anything to receive the new channels?? And is it free?? There seems to be conflicting information on this thread. We have been Shaw Direct custoemrs since November 22nd, 2011, so our equpiment is new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in