Launch of new Satellite - Anik-G1 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-12, 06:11 PM

Subscribers who need a update their LNB for the 3rd satellite have to pay $50.00 I had checked it out yesterday. They told me if you want to have the new channels on the G1 Satellite you have to pay for upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-13, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifan View Post
"Will customers be expected to pay for a new LNB, or will Shaw do it free of charge?"

A simple call to Shaw mentioning the offerings by competitors such as Telus, Bell, Eastlink or other cable companies, will quickly result in a transfer to the 'Retentions' department.

Past personal experience and the experience of others on this forum, indicates that some form of free upgrade and/or bill adjustment should be readily forthcoming.

It is suggested that you be familiar with the offerings of the competitors so the Retentions agent understands that you are informed and serious. And, as always, a respectful but firm demeanour also helps.
It tells you a lot about a company when to have to take the extreme measure of threatening to cancel in order to obtain proper customer service.

The new LNBF isn't some discretionary piece of hardware like a PVR. The new LNBF is necessary for the complete use of the service and should be fully covered by Shawdirect.
post #138 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-13, 01:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
If Shaw works like Bell does, ...
They don't. Shaw typically does not upgrade receivers for free and they don't provide upgraded LNBs unless there is some tangible benefit to Shaw. Threatening to cancel and quoting a competing offer seems to work for some people. Subscribing to channels on the new satellite will likely get a new LNB at no cost.

post #139 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-14, 02:10 AM

Maybe it was just luck but when I changed out one of my old receivers for the new 600 I got a new LNB and just had to pay shipping.
post #140 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-14, 04:05 AM

Imagine if Ford sent you a updated part for your car and asked you to pay for the shipping and install it yourself.

Last edited by 57; 2013-03-14 at 10:43 AM. Reason: UQR
post #141 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-15, 10:50 AM

If you have a service call booked the techs are switching out the lnbs as part of the service. No charge. That was my experience.

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #142 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-15, 12:46 PM

Now that's great if you live in a place that acctally has service reps. I our town it's just some-one that did their own,you are responsible for your own dish. Closest place charges $$ pr. klm for service calls...both ways
post #143 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-16, 01:51 PM

I will share a email I received from Shaw Direct regarding change out of LNB's for the new satellite launch. This response came when I asked do current customers receive a updated LNB for the new satellite? Apparently they are requesting $50.00 for the new LNB to any existing customers requiring the change over.

Yes, we are setting new customers up with our most recent dish and LNB just as we did for you when you first signed on. However, as I am sure you are aware technology is always changing. If an update is required again in the future those customers will be required to purchase updated equipment as well. Please know that in businesses such as telecommunications advancements are always taking place. We must keep up with the changes in order to meet the demands of many of our customer’s and stay competitive in the market. As well, along with the new hardware and advancements comes an additional cost. We do try to absorb as much of the cost as possible but are unable to completely waive all costs on such a large scale. With that said, we do ask that customers who are looking to take part in these advancements help with a portion of the cost. Please know that upgrading is optional and the new channels and LNB are an additional perk to provide you with more value for your dollar. If you choose not to upgrade you will still be able to receive channels from our 1st and 2nd satellite as you do now.

If you should decide to move forward with the upgrade though we can do this for a cost of only $50.00. This is only the cost of the part. We will cover the installers charges for the time and work completed. We hope that you now see the value in what we have extended. Please let us know if you would like to proceed.

This is why after almost a decade of upgrading receivers as required, we said the heck with Shaw D this week. I guess our years of subscribing to programming does not compensate a $50.00 change over in a LNB I am certainly not going to plead to them. They should have the common sense to understand that majority of long term customers would want the added channels which will be available.
post #144 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-16, 04:30 PM
Veteran

That's the opposite of Bell when they added N2. They upgraded existing customers for free but made new customers pay for the LNB upgrade. It's different now, of course.
post #145 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-17, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
That's the opposite of Bell when they added N2. They upgraded existing customers for free but made new customers pay for the LNB upgrade. It's different now, of course.
The way I remember it was if you had an existing channel that was moving from Nimiq 1 to Nimiq 2 Bell paid for the dual LNB upgrade. If you were an existing subscriber who later wanted to add a Nimiq 2 channel you had to pay for the upgrade, be it just the LNB or the new larger dish. You didn't get it for free unless you complained. New customers had to buy the second LNB if they wanted something on Nimiq 2.
post #146 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-17, 01:28 PM
Veteran

That's pretty close. Everyone with a 6000 and people who subbed to ethnic channels got upgraded, since those channels were moved. However, I believe that anyone who subbed to a paid theme pack or channel later also got a free upgrade. HD did not qualify for new HD customers since it was free at the time.

I've got to wonder what Shaw will do if customers want to sub to a channel on G1 and refuse to pay for the upgrade. Will they do the upgrade for free or refuse the new business. What will the channels on G1 have to say about that? I've also got to wonder what Canadian networks and CAB will do when their channels get put on G1 and thousands of customers complain. Many of those are "must carry" so Shaw will once again be in technical violation of CRTC rules.
post #147 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-17, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Many of those are "must carry" so Shaw will once again be in technical violation of CRTC rules.
The CRTC rules don't say that Shaw Direct has to provide free upgrades.
post #148 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-18, 09:07 AM

Of all the channels that SD is being forced to add by the CRTC, can't they just stick those ones on G1? Maybe move some existing ones over there as well and free up space for their own channels on the other 2 sats? Like that push their own channels, comply with the CRTC and still mainly only use the older 2 birds. Save themselves money by not having to upgrade many people's LNB/dish/receivers. I know I don't want any more timeshifted locals.
post #149 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-18, 09:20 AM
Veteran

That would only work if Shaw Direct was planning to migrate the existing signals on Anik F1R and F2 to MPEG-4. Moving some small market locals isn't going to free up that much space on the existing satellites.
post #150 of 290 (permalink) Old 2013-03-18, 10:39 AM

isn't this the reason we've had to replace current receivers...because they ARE converting channels to mpeg4, or are they just adding NEW channels in this format to the current birds?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in