Shaw Direct Remote Control Discussions. - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 164 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 11:05 PM

Proscan was one of the brands listed on the RCA Canada web site under the contact link. Others were Sylvania, Igloo and Curtis.
NovaMan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 164 (permalink) Old 2019-08-08, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertronix View Post
Sadly there's also some RCA models that don't have any codes, even with the Scan method. Seems to be some incompatibility between the standard used by RCA and the standard used by Shaw Direct remotes.
See Dr. Dave's statement above and you will probably find it eventually.

If you are like me (quantity instead of quality), with 7 TV's, basically one in every room, you are bound to own one of these. ha ha
post #153 of 164 (permalink) Old 2019-08-08, 09:34 AM

So much easier with a universal learning, cheap remote from Harmony. No code needed, as it scans in the "beam" from the Shaw remote.
NovaMan likes this.

... Mike

post #154 of 164 (permalink) Old 2019-12-09, 10:37 PM

I've noted that the UHF feature on the newer (black) remotes doesn't seem to be working as well as compared to the older (silver) remotes. I have a 630 connected to three TVs via an HDMI splitter, and the TV furthest from the receiver where I use the older remote is way more responsive. I changed the batteries in the other remotes without any success. Anyone else experience this as well?
post #155 of 164 (permalink) Old 2019-12-09, 11:20 PM

I agree the newer, black remotes aren’t nearly as responsive with regards to UHF manipulation. Slow, wrong button presses (all the time) and delayed command entries.
post #156 of 164 (permalink) Old 2019-12-22, 04:49 PM
Rookie

Curious if anyone has purchased a ROKU ONN TV and tried to program the Shaw Direct Remote to control the volume on the ONN TV, can't find any codes in the SD info re the usual five numerals and tried the searching method with no luck, we are in Florida and can of course change channels with the regular remote but have to use the ROKU ONN remote for volume, kind of a pain, thanks for any info.
post #157 of 164 (permalink) Old 2019-12-24, 07:05 PM
Rookie

I see where my message was moved from the southern Shaw Forum (US & Other) to here by their moderator, he probably is unaware of the reason I put it on that forum is most ROKU owners are in the USA and would get the most exposure but that's ok, I think ROKU users are fewer in Canada but if anyone has an answer to the remote I would really appreciate it, thanks.
post #158 of 164 (permalink) Old 2019-12-24, 09:57 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Most remotes have a "scan" feature that runs through all of the codes that are in the remote. If you run the scan and the TV doesn't turn on/off, then it's not in the remote. The remote may have been manufactured before that code was available/programmed in. I found the following link on how to do that, but there's probably something on the SD website that may be newer...

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...ml#post1457868

Perhaps someone else has other ideas...

You may wish to consider a programmable remote like the Harmony - it can be programmed for all of your devices and can do many "activities" with one button press. The Harmony 665 is on sale during boxing week for about C$50.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #159 of 164 (permalink) Old 2019-12-25, 10:09 AM

630 remote

I have an older (black) 630 SD remote. Although, I gave it a thorough cleaning, several of the buttons are still not working properly. I am looking for an inexpensive remote that has an easy to use PVR function.
Any suggestions?
post #160 of 164 (permalink) Old 2019-12-25, 11:59 AM

Harmony
post #161 of 164 (permalink) Old 2019-12-27, 01:22 PM

A replacement SD remote (IRC 600) would be cheaper than a Harmony. Around $40 new, but may be cheaper if you shop around or are willing to get used.
post #162 of 164 (permalink) Old 2019-12-27, 01:43 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaspeed View Post
A replacement SD remote (IRC 600) would be cheaper than a Harmony. ($40)
As discussed in post 158 of this thread, you can purchase a new Harmony 665 for $50 or less during boxing week. It can control all of your equipment functionality properly, so it may be worth the additional few $.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #163 of 164 (permalink) Old 2020-02-02, 10:03 PM
Rookie

Shaw Direct Remote trying to use with a ONN ROKU TV

Hi everyone, wonder if anyone else has ran into this, I bought an ONN ROKU TV at Walmart (40") and I have tried to get my Shaw Direct TV remote to control it but after trying all the Shaw Direct directions still can't get it to operate it. I did get tne access code by the "checking the codes" method, got the 5 digits put them in...no go.

So I am at a loss on what to do or if it's even possible to marry up an ONN ROKU TV to a Shaw Direct Remote.

However I also have a Hisense Roku TV and I did get my Shaw Direct Remote to operate it as it's codes are in the Shaw Direct's Manufacturer's Codes Manual. Seems odd that both being Roku TVs that the ONN can not be programmed....at least by me.

Anyone's help much appreciated, the reason I am trying to do this is to get down to one remote as the ONN remote can not change Shaw Direct channels and its small and not very user friendly.
Thanks for any possible help...even if you know the ONN can't be programmed just let me know.

Last edited by 57; 2020-02-02 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Moved to this thread from the Shaw Cable forum
post #164 of 164 (permalink) Old Today, 10:02 AM

It's not the Roku that's having the problem; it's the TV manufacturer's access. The Shaw boxes have been notorious for decades for concealing their proprietary codes, and generally the one sure way to get them is to use a learning remote.

... Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in