New receiver -700 series - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-22, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

New receiver -700 series

Was on the phn with shaw direct this afternoon regarding a faulty 505. I asked about upgrading to a 605 and then the rep mentioned that shaw will be releasing a 700 series receiver this year along with the new satellite being operational.
He said it will be a whole home dvr along with many other features - said similar to shaws cable system.

Anyone have more info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-22, 09:27 PM

Hoping they come up with a single coax solution for the dvr.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-22, 11:19 PM

So we will all need to buy a new receiver soon.. great.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-23, 09:55 AM

you've got to be kidding me, I just upgraded all 5 of mine to the 600 series!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had just about enough of SD!!!!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-23, 10:31 AM

its a rumour- please note!

Okay- lets not overreact. This is a RUMOUR. No offense to the OP, but he has only 1 post.

Let's confirm this before we react. I was told that the 630 could be used as a whole home pvr with the appropriate updates.

With SD, promises are the carrott.

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-23, 11:19 AM
Veteran

The issue that Shaw Direct has over and over again, is the promise new features with future software updates. It seems the updates never come until new hardware is released because they determine that the current fleat can't hanle new features.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-23, 11:36 AM
Veteran

I don't think you will "need" to upgrade. I would thing the 6xx series will be good for quite a while, at least just to receive TV. I think that the 6xx can do whole home, plus eSATA DVR expander, ad maybe Shaw VOD.

Whishful thinking, is that they would totally make Shaw Direct compatible versions of the DirecTV HR22 platform, which uses at least both SWiM (Single Wire Multiswitch), and coaxial networking which they call DECA. Or at least their versions of the same thing.

The other way would be to have a four tuner DVR gateway box, and the same client boxes the Shaw Cable gateway uses.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-23, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I may only have one post (2 now!) but that doesn't mean I am spreading false rumors...
That is exactly what the service rep told me.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-23, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouser View Post
I was told that the 630 could be used as a whole home pvr with the appropriate updates.
I was told that the 530 could be used as a PVR with the appropriate updates....7 to 14 days guide, dual recording....

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-23, 05:26 PM
Veteran

And not to take anything away, it may be true, but we all know what some csr's actually know. ;-). And why would we need to replace? To keep up with the Jones's?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-23, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzink View Post
....And why would we need to replace? To keep up with the Jones's?
Well, a unit that had enough processing power to actually do what is advertised would be nice.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 12:58 PM
Rookie

They are working on this, has been discussed for awhile but is probably just getting into the cost feasibility range
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 06:11 PM

Certainly nothing to get excited about anyway. After all the hooplah, the 600 series does nothing (not counting DVR capabilities) except: offer a smaller box, a cooler (but less intuitive) remote, and a completely pathetic and sorry excuse for an INFO screen(s). Who were they kidding? This board was rife with hope and expectations for about four years, regarding the new INFO capability alone, and look what they gave us. Not only a mere skeleton of information (still WAY more info on the Zap2It site) and TWO screens just to get the date. Wow.

... Mike
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 09:04 PM

this is a rumour, there has been no release of info on a new 700 series receiver.

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-10-28, 10:01 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Installer View Post
this is a rumour, there has been no release of info on a new 700 series receiver.
I dropped in to Best Buy a few days ago to pick up two 600 receivers, they are only $100 and I have two open ports on my multi switch and two TV's not is use, so made sense.

Best Buy had none in that store and only a few left chain wide so I was told by the Mgr. He said the 600 was discontinued and new model (is this the dawn of the "700"?) will be available next week (November 2).

Hmmmm? What does a retailer of Shaw product know? I though screw it and ordered one 600 from BB online and set it up just in case its not true. If I see new one next week they can help me trade up!

I don't believe it but I just had to share the tidbit rumor!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in