Ideas About Shaw Direct Programming & Pricing - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Ideas About Shaw Direct Programming & Pricing

Here's mine:

-We have Platinum Plus Movies and avoid the $6.08/month Multi-Receiver Fee

-We chose Spokane as our standard def US networks and get Detroit & Seattle networks in HD

-We have the Intense TV bundle and get NBA TV for free

-We now have 1500 Shaw SJR.B shares in one of the RRSP accounts. With Shaw's $.07666/month dividend per share our net cost for Platinum Plus Movies and HD Combo is $4/month. Also, we have it set on dividend reinvest and get five more shares per month.

Please post any other tips.

DirecTV 1994-98...StarChoice/ShawDirect 1998-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 11:52 AM
Veteran

More or less since they launched the Digital Favourites package, we have had just that, plus the MRF.

I might consider switching to Digital Indulgence, and add HD Extra.

Before DF, we had Bronze, and I switched out the packages a couple times a year.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 01:31 AM

I have heard rumours about shaw direct bundling SD TV, internet and Phone now, I also heard that in this bundle a shaw cable set topbox for movies in the bundle has anyone heard about this. I tried a search here and this topic came up, apologies if it is being discussed in another thread.
s

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 01:38 AM
Veteran

You could try here... http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=149793

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 09:49 AM

I fail to see how owning Shaw stock has anything to do with this. Especially when it's inside an RRSP. You would still get the div if you were a Rogers subscriber. Besides, in your case, one is pre-tax and the other is post-tax
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 12:25 PM

What I've started doing is reducing my subscription every time there is a price increase. Eventually, I will be selling my equipment unless I get some value for my money.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 01:12 PM

Discount with Shaw Phone & Internet

Not sure if this is where i should post this or not, while on Chat with Shaw I brought up if I can bundle Shaw Phone, Internet & shaw direct together, he said he would have to check. so he was gone awhile.

He came back and said he had some information, but was finalinzing it. Anyway, he asked for my account number with Shaw Direct.
He came back and said that they will apply a discount to my shaw internet and phone bill for as long as I have Shaw Direct Service. So, In the end, I ended up saving $40.00 with Shaw. So I was rather happy about it.

Its not a bundle, but a discount. Not all on one bill but still saves some money in then end.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 07:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp01 View Post
I fail to see how owning Shaw stock has anything to do with this. ......................
Glad someone spoke up on that! )
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-01-20, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzink View Post
Glad someone spoke up on that! )
Considering the performance of Shaw's share price over the last few years I'll stick with my Telus shares irregardless of who I choose to get my TV service from.

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-08-26, 03:42 AM
Rookie

DeanRW - thanks bigtime for your post on bundling/discount (whatever you want to call it) for Shaw phone/internet customers who are also SD customers.

(wanted to post about this before but was having trouble getting an account on Digitalhome for awhile - couldn't get past the anagram (character recog) filters to register and therefore couldn't get one here to complain about that - but enough about that )

The Chat with customer rep at Shaw is def the way to go, as I was able to quote from this forum to support my arguments/educate my rep/be firm but polite. My rep first pointed out to me that SD and shaw were completely different companies, so I quoted the CRTC decision allowing them to operate under one corporate entitity. Then he stated there was no offer, so I quoted DeanRW's post. Then he dug around abit, found an 'old' memo about this, didn't know if it was still valid (this was in June this year). Then he figured out I would have to upgrade my Internet plan (I get phone and internet from Shaw), but I would still save about $10/month off my previous Shaw billing. Good enough for me - he made it happen. Mentioned he had been with Shaw for a couple of years and hadn't heard of this before.

Summary - it is possible you can get a bundle/deal, but it apparently has not been well publicized within Shaw CS (possibly an internal memo later 2011 or early 2012). Do your research (SD and Shaw cable actually do have more than a coincidental name in common, there is some kind of bundling deal available), and be prepared to quote links (chat with customers off the shaw cable site is a convenient forum to do this, rather than 'I heard about some guy ...' over the phone. Be polite but persistent - their reps will work with you but again this doesn't seem to be well publicized within Shaw

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in