Shaw Direct 2012 programming packages and pricing discussion - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 02:50 PM

Nothing has changed in terms of which packages do and don't have the multi-receiver fee included. $5.99 + 1.5% LPIF = $6.08.

Platinum Choice with Movies (formerly "Platinum Choice Plus") still includes the multi-receiver fee, there is no extra charge. Platinum Choice without Movies is subject to the charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 03:56 PM

ah, ok. thanks for the clarification....the only one listed in a search was ultimate, but the "movies" inclusion-factor wasn't obvious.
post #93 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 07:52 AM
Veteran

Any Digital Indulgence subcribers who know if the new channel Nat Geo Wild is part of this package?

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!

post #94 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
Any Digital Indulgence subcribers who know if the new channel Nat Geo Wild is part of this package?
It is not. I have DI lite, and it's not part of that package. I was also told from the Shaw Direct Twitter folks that it's not part of DI regular either. Only Digital Favourites or by adding the Real Life Bundle. It might be a pick and pay option too, not sure.
Honestly though, NG Wild is like a really bad knock off of Oasis. I found that lot's of programs on NG Wild HD were broadcast in SD....Oasis is all HD, way better content, etc. Oasis is included with HD Extra and totally worth it.
post #95 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 11:24 AM
Veteran

Okay thanks. I'm on the old OVP and its not included either. It is a pick and pay channel so I have swapped out one of my Pick-2 channels I had.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #96 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 11:28 AM

I know the other poster responded already, but I too can confirm this. I have DI lite, which as you mentioned does not inlcude Score, Speed, or Golf. However, because I have HD Sports, I get these three channels still in both SD and HD.
post #97 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 04:54 PM

Are there any freeviews for August?? The Shaw Direct website is showing nothing.
post #98 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 05:21 PM

Shawdirect in Florida

I have just ordered Shawdirect to take to Florida in October. I will be starting with the Digital Indulgence Lite package. If there is anyone in Florida with Shawdirect at the present time, would you please let me know what channels you get? There appears to be some confusion on their website. I live in Ontario.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #99 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-08-05, 12:26 AM
Rookie

Is there better pricing deals to be found for new customers or is the website there standard pricing? I just want to sports channels in HD but looks like I need to spend at least $60 to get them. Also whats up with the multi receiver fee?
post #100 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-08-05, 09:01 AM

If you find a way, let me know.
I'm paying over $80 now just to have the sports channels in HD.
post #101 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-08-05, 09:50 AM

I signed up with Shaw Direct in 2009, with the Atlantic Extra Value Package (same as "OVP"). When this got too expensive I replace the "Extra Value Package" part with Sports only. I then went further, and switched to "le classique" in early 2011. at the time this package was shown on the website. it has SD Ottawa and Quebec Canadian networks, Spokane SD US networks, and lots of quebec french OTA (V/TVA in HD) channels. For HD it has CTV, Global, and CBC, and Detroit US networks. It even includes RDS HD. This package is $20 and you can add anything to it. So I added Sports ($4.99, includes OLN in SD) and HD Sports ($5.99 or $6.99 at the time, it would probably make sense to pony up for HD Extra and get HGTV etc). Then the multi-reciever fee is another $5.99. I had the Seattle US nets as well, I'm not sure if this was because I had HD Sports.

Long story short, this got all the sports channels (including RDS), canadian east nets, east/west US nets, all in HD for 20+5+7 (+6 multi-receiver). It was/is easily the best deal going. I didn't get my local canadian affiliates and picked them up over the air analog instead. Since its a French pacakge there is no CNN or CTV news network, Weather Channel is in French, but you still get CBC News Network. My bills were still in English.

I left shaw direct when I moved over a year ago, and when I signed up for "le classique" the csr made a big deal "i'm not really supposed to do this...". I don't see it on their website or brochures anymore either. But it might be worth a call to try? I had selected French in the phone tree (I tried to order it in french but she switched to english when she heard my accent .. heheh)
post #102 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-08-05, 10:40 AM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesnurg View Post
I have just ordered Shawdirect to take to Florida in October. I will be starting with the Digital Indulgence Lite package. If there is anyone in Florida with Shawdirect at the present time, would you please let me know what channels you get? There appears to be some confusion on their website. I live in Ontario.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think you will get the exact same channels as you are getting NOTB. Just make sure you get the 75 cm dish from Shaw before you head down.
post #103 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-08-05, 05:05 PM
Rookie

I think Ralph Sinclair found a way.

Actually I have talked to a few reps and it seems like there is a basic package available to newcomers and it allows you to add on. Base price is $29 plus $5 sports pack + $7 HD sports pack + 6 receiver fee. I was quoted just over $47 plus tax. The channels are pretty basic but you can add on the other packs to it.

The two things that worry me are the channel lineup is weak and how quickly and often will they raise the prices. From what I read they are increasing prices every few months..... That sucks.
post #104 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-08-05, 08:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
it seems like there is a basic package available to newcomers and it allows you to add on. Base price is $29
There is. It is called the Digital Value Pack for $28.99. It was $22 just a year or so ago. That is all the Ontario Value Package is: DVP @ $28.99 and Extra Value Pack at $19.99.

Even with OVP, my bill is $28.99+$19.99+$5.99(multi Receiver)+$10.99(HD Combo)+$2.49(Pick and Pay) for at total of $78.51. I see the CRTC Local Program Fund is still added for $1.03.
post #105 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-08-05, 10:11 PM
Rookie

Thanks. A $7 increase within a year is unacceptable for me. I'll stay away from Shaw. Too many price increases happening way too fast.
Closed Thread

Tags
packages , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in