Shaw Direct 2012 programming packages and pricing discussion - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-10, 01:45 PM

Thanks smsat. Nice to know that i'd be paying more if i lost OVP. Def not worth losing the channel.

I think Nat Geo wild still shows b/c its still listed as free preview on the guide. I assume that once they fix/remove that, it will be hidden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-11, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by QCK
Wow, unless I misunderstood you in the past I though you loved Canada's most advanced PVR receiver.
Ah yes, you are right - I did love it when it first launched. It was so much better than the 530 and I have been lucky enough to not encounter any of the problems others have had - especially the pixelation problem.

So, as far as it goes, I'm happy enough with it, it works well for me and does what it's supposed to. But two years on, and only the slightest tweaks to the firmware and I certainly wouldn't say there is anything advanced about it!

In fact, shhhhhhh! I may be switching to cable come september…

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
post #78 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-11, 03:50 PM

We made the switch from the WVP (Western Value Pack, the same as the Ontario one) to Digital Indulgence Lite due to the price difference, which was about $10 when we did it. Obviously, it's more now with the increase. We also had the concern about not being able to go back due to its being grandfathered. But with the small differences in programming, we couldn't rationalise keeping it for that price difference. I can't recall everything we lost. There were only a couple of channels really and, ironically, of those few, there was one that we lost that we liked -- TCM. I say "ironically" because we have many channels we couldn't care less about that we would have been happy to lose. But no...it was TCM. Anyway, keeping TCM wasn't worth the money. And I think we lost Bravo, but don't quote me...we watch the shows we like from Bravo online in HD anyway, so we never watch Bravo even though we found the guide listing to be helpful.

For us, even DI Lite isn't a great value. Unfortunately, it's the cheapest package we've found that gives us TSN AND Rogers Sportsnet, thus allowing us to add on the HD Sports. Honestly, if it weren't for the sports, I don't know if we'd even need our receivers over the summer with the various show hiatuses as we watch most summer shows online.

post #79 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-11, 07:28 PM
Rookie

Anyone know of any other "special" packages that are still available but not advertised on their website?
post #80 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-11, 07:38 PM
Veteran

Hey TheHans... The Score SD is not included in your DI Lite package. I see you have the HD Sports package added. Do you get The Score HD with that?

Thanks.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #81 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 11:33 AM

You are right, Bravo is not offered on DI Lite. When we downgraded to DI Lite from DI we lost Bravo, TCM, Score, Spike, Golf, CNBC, OLN, OWN, and a few others. We got the Western HD feeds back (it costs 1.00/mo extra).
post #82 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
Hey TheHans... The Score SD is not included in your DI Lite package. I see you have the HD Sports package added. Do you get The Score HD with that?

Thanks.
Hey Gary,

Yes, we have the Score both in HD and SD. I'm pretty sure we've had it the whole time since the change. Maybe it's because we have the HD Sports? I don't know, but I'm not complaining. We also have Golf HD, by the way. Cableredneck said he/she lost Golf. And yes, we are *definitely* on DI Lite. In case that's your next question. :-)
post #83 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-22, 09:57 PM

Pkg comparison?

Hello friendly people.

We got switched to Shaw okay but some friends need to do the same and theyre very confused about the pgming pkgs. Is there any site that has a chart of all the pkgs that shows what channels are in what pkgs? Either Shaws site or some TV users site? I googled around but couldn't find one. Thanks!
post #84 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-23, 02:33 AM
DHC Supporter

Try this
Attached Files
File Type: pdf channel_listing_c_10_07_12_e.pdf (503.5 KB, 91 views)
post #85 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-23, 04:54 AM
Veteran

You can't really have a side by side comparison chart of what channel is in each package since you are the one who choses what channels/bundles you have in the packages. You basicly got to know what channels you're looking for and build from there.

You can go here and click on "View all Packages" to see what the different levels are and see what's in each channel bundle.

If you're asking about a comparison chart of what's in DI and DI Lite then that has already been discussed earlier in this thread.

~Gary
post #86 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-23, 04:58 PM

Well directv does it so I don't see why Shaw can't!

http://www.directstartv.com/directv_...el_lineup.html

Also Dish lets you see what channels are in what pkgs.

We were trying to help our friends find a pkg and they want to know what pkg specific channels are in but its hard to do on Shaw's site. Like even on that channel listing that Noah posted its wrong becaus TCM isn't just in Fun Stuff its also in Digital Favorites. (Thank you Noah I know you got it from Shaw so they're wrong not you!)

So if the American companies can do it why can't Shaw??
post #87 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-23, 08:38 PM
Veteran

You're missing the point. Shaw Direct has different price levels too but SD allows you pick what channels go into most of their packages. There could be hundreds of different packages if they listed every one. With DirecTV you have to take the channels that are in each package. For example you don't have to take the sports channels, other than the sports channels in the basic package, but with DirecTv you have to take the sports channels whether you want them or not.

~Gary
post #88 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-23, 10:30 PM

But Shaw could still tell you which pkgs you can put a channel in. Like some of them are available "2-fer" and some arent. Like I said TCM is only in 2 pkgs so they could say which pkgs for each channel or whether their avialable a la cart.
post #89 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 11:32 AM

Hi Bayguy,

I'll direct you to the "Programming Brochure West (PDF)" on shawdirect.ca.

Starting on the page with (2) Choose between our Digital Favourites or Personalize Your Own, you can start with Digital Favourites (includes the "Speciality Channels" plus "English Essentials") or do a "Personalized Package" where you build your own. This includes "English Essentials", plus the specified number of bundles.

If you scroll to the next page, (3) Choose Your Bundles, the bundles are listed. You can't move channels around in a bundle. For example, if I don't like "CNN" and want "Bloomberg TV" instead, I can't swap one for the other and still call it the Real Life bundle.

However, if you scroll down to the next page, (5) Choose from our Fabulous Extras , you'll see the "A la carte" (also known as Pick n Pay) channels. These are channels you can take individually. So if I want "Bloomberg TV", I can add it outside of a bundle.

Not all channels are available individually at this time based on licensing.

Also note that all prices in the brochure include 1.5% LPIF, this will drop to 1% in September so prices will drop slightly.

If you want descriptions of the channels, these are available on the website in non-PDF format: http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/wha....asp?t=SPECIAL
(This also tells you where a specific channel is available, for example TCM is available in Digital Favourites and the Fun Stuff bundle).

Does this help? As mentioned earlier, DirecTV is a bit simpler because they effectively operate on the tiered cable-style packaging. You can't pick and choose bundles, if you want a particular channel (DIY, for example) you need to move all the way up 2 tiers to the "Choice Xtra" package. This lends itself to single page programming brochures a little better!
post #90 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 12:40 PM

when did shaw change the multi-receiver fee? it used to be free for my package (platinum), but I just noticed it is now $6.08. WTF?
Closed Thread

Tags
packages , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in