Shaw Direct 2012 programming packages and pricing discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-05-04, 11:16 AM

Well, I guess that means I'm going to cut down to just my 630 to avoid the extra receiver charge. I warned them, but they wouldn't listen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-05-05, 12:37 AM
Veteran

We often suspend the account for 3 or 4 months in Summer. Canadian channels hardly ever show any new Summer series we like on time so to heck with them. Local OTA stations show any talk shows we want. We also get a chance to catch up on unwatched TV shows and movies on the PVR or by renting them through Zip and/or Netflix.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #48 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-05-07, 04:42 PM

Shaw Cable promo for Shaw Direct

Shaw Cable is currently offering a promo on a Shaw Direct package for those who subscribe to Shaw TV, internet and phone as a "vacation package" when away from home.

"Subscribe today, and receive our Digital Value Pack with 140 channels plus 40 digital music channels and 12 of your favourites in HD for $14.99 per month "

Here is the link - http://www.shawdirect.ca/promotions/...m=Learn%2BMore

Will likely be inquiring about this but wondered if anyone has the channel listing for this package "Digital Value Pack"

post #49 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-05-07, 06:35 PM
Veteran

Just as a note. I only have tv service and was able to get the SD deal.
Don't have the list but no add on like time shifting allowed.
Iwas mainly interested in the networks sd and hd so that is what I will stay with in the rv.
post #50 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-05-07, 07:29 PM

I signed my Grandma up for Digital Lite but after finding out it didn't have our locals we called in and got swiched to the Digital Value Pack (which is $25.99 +tax). As far as channel lineup, it looks very similar (if not identical) to the English Essentials package.
post #51 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-05-11, 10:34 AM

Currently I'm paying $45.98 for the Digital Indulgence pack (soon to be $3 more!!).

We're not big TV watchers, but we want to keep Teletoon for the kids.

I'm wondering what the cheapest package is where we can add Teletoon.

post #52 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-05-11, 11:07 PM
Veteran

If you could get Digital Indulgence Lite, it would save a few dollars. Otherwise, you already have one of the best packages available.
post #53 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-05-20, 02:58 PM

The $14.99 package is really attractive. Living in the kitchener/waterloo area right now, can I subscribe to this package? All I really want is OTA channels, but reception not reliable enough.
post #54 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-05-21, 01:51 AM
Veteran

That is on top of your cable subscription.
post #55 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-05-25, 10:43 AM

The cheapest package that includes Teletoon is Digital Indulgence Lite ($6 cheaper than Digital Indulgence). We have Digital Indulgence Lite and get both Teletoon East and West. That is not including the special packages discussed here. I don't know if they include Teletoon or not, but it seems from the link that they are vacation packages designed for cottages etc. I clicked on the link and looked out of curiosity.
post #56 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-18, 03:58 PM

I'd like to be a stable long-term customer, but SD keeps changing the deal, raising the prices by +6% twice a year, plus reshuffling the packages to remove content and make it cost extra. There's no point in them sending me letters telling me how they're making things better. It's not better, it's worse, and the value keeps declining steadily. It's almost as if they're trying to get rid of existing customers. I've already cut back as far as I can go, to the Digital Indulgence Light package with a few extras SD threw in at no cost. The next time they change the package, or I'm going to have to move the antenna or change my receiver, that's it for me. It's dumb to be paying this much on a monthly basis for SD when we get most of our content elsewhere at much lower cost these days.
post #57 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-29, 09:35 AM

Angry another price increase

Like everyone else, I am very irritated at SD... Just got latest bill and my Gold package went up another $3 effective july 1st. Was $65.99 and went up top $67.99 in Nov 2011, and now $70.99. Same excuse, we are adding more channels soon?. Price increase 2x a year is a wrong, my opinion at least. Personally I don't care about Golf HD and Nat Geo HD, I have no interest in watching Tiger Woods or Butterflies migrating in HD.
post #58 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-29, 10:43 AM

I wholeheartedly agree! 2.5 years ago when I signed up for OVP the price after fees and taxes was under $50 and now it's above $60 and nothing for me has changed.

SD - eliminate some channels and lower our prices b/c you are soon going to lose customers.
post #59 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-29, 02:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_source View Post

SD - eliminate some channels and lower our prices b/c you are soon going to lose customers.
Eliminating channels is no solution. In fact, Shaw Direct is a television provider offering the least channels of any of its competitors. They should be in the business of providing more channels and the most choice for its customer (i.e pick and choose).

The price increases reflect a business model for maximizing profit to the company and ultimately increasing Mr. Shaw's salary. It has nothing to do with channels. Eliminating channels would create a backlash because they would of course be removing somebody's "favourite" channel. They have removed channels in the past. Did your subscription rate ever go down?

I believe that if they offered more (all available) channels - this was the business model when this satellite company opened for business (pre-Shaw of course) - they would up the subscriber base. Unfortunately, it seems that they have decided to get the maximum from the current subscriber base and offering the least.
post #60 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-07-01, 06:42 PM
Veteran

Digital Indulgence pricing??

Hi there. Does anyone know what the current cost of the DI package is? I have a mailing that offered it at $49.72 a year ago but has it gone up $3.05 as of today (July 1st)? Or is it even higher now?

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
Closed Thread

Tags
packages , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in