Shaw Direct 2012 New Channels Discussion - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-06, 11:53 AM

Does anyone have any insight as to whether Global HD West (BC) is coming to Shaw Direct any time soon? I ask not because I want to see it, but because I'm surprised it's not there already for simsub reasons. Global Toronto HD is simsubbed across-the-board now ever since Shaw bought out Global TV, and I'm surprised Global HD BC isn't simsubbed yet for the West U.S. feeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-06, 11:55 AM

More HD channels will show up with the new Satellite this fall.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #93 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-06, 03:23 PM
Veteran

CBC Vancouver HD, CTV Vancouver HD, Global BC HD and Citytv Toronto HD will probably be among the first channels Shaw Direct adds when the new satellite goes up.

Fox Sports World Canada is shutting down on April 30. I wonder if Shaw Direct will replace it with a new SD channel.

post #94 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-06, 05:29 PM

if all those channels are on the new satellite, how will that impact simsubs for people who do not have the new LNBs? would we still be able to watch the US feeds?
post #95 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-06, 06:21 PM
Veteran

Yes, Shaw Direct will likely add National Geographic Wild when it launches. Speculation is that National Geographic Wild will take the place of Fox Sports World Canada when it ceases operations.
post #96 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-07, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky View Post
with HDnet being dropped i'll drop the hd package aswell
Wow just saw this, Not happy about that one.
post #97 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchophile View Post
if all those channels are on the new satellite, how will that impact simsubs for people who do not have the new LNBs? would we still be able to watch the US feeds?
That's what I was wondering too — we still have the 530 and they better not simsub Global BC if we can't even get it on the dial, especially when we can't even watch our local CBC affiliate at all because we don't have the upgrade.

I'll be demanding a free upgrade if that happens, it might just work.
post #98 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momorider View Post
Wow just saw this, Not happy about that one.
Im sad to see HDNet go I have found that its not as good as it used to be but still nice for concerts. Other hand I am quite pleased with the addition of Space. Id rather have both. does anyone really watch Oasis?

Dave
VE3DVY
post #99 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 07:44 PM
Veteran

If you speak to retentions, you could probably get an upgrade now.
post #100 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 11:15 PM

HDNET is one of my favourite channels actually...Love the concerts on Sunday nights....like the new show called Super too....I hate Bell so much but I might have to suck it up and switch...
post #101 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-09, 10:24 AM
Veteran

Just so you know Bell doesn't have HDNet either. But if you are looking for better hardware and better channel selection, Bell is definitely the way to go.

Shaw Direct's lack of HD channels, outdated hardware, insistence on coast-to-coast simsubs, and poor customer services, there really is no reason for people to stay with Shaw Direct.
post #102 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-09, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoes View Post
Im sad to see HDNet go I have found that its not as good as it used to be but still nice for concerts. Other hand I am quite pleased with the addition of Space. Id rather have both. does anyone really watch Oasis?
The one thing I've learned from following this forum, is the vast difference of opinions when it comes to literally every issue, incluing channel preference.

For me, Oasis is one of the most watched channels in our house. By far the best quality HD on the dial in terms of PQ. My wife loves nature programs so ya, it's on a lot. HDNet - I don't think I've watched once since getting HD Combo, so I'm glad to see it get dropped.

One thing I've learned, is you just can't please everybody.
post #103 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-09, 02:51 PM

After listening to Mark Cuban, the owner of HDnet speak, I was going to drop the channel anyway. Thanks SD for saving me the trouble.
post #104 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-09, 03:04 PM

Almost everyone I talk to applauds Oasis as one of the best channels on TV. Apparently it is is only in 720 P but has a very good clear picture and very interesting shows. We cannot recall ever watching anything on HDNet. I guess everone to his own
post #105 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-09, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnucleo View Post
The one thing I've learned from following this forum, is the vast difference of opinions when it comes to literally every issue, incluing channel preference. One thing I've learned, is you just can't please everybody.
Agreed! Recently it was "The Frame" (or whatever it was called) that was getting flamed for being crap that should be dropped to make room for a real channel. We would quite often put the frame on while having dinner.

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
Closed Thread

Tags
new channels , satellite tv , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in