Shaw Direct 2012 New Channels Discussion - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-01, 03:20 PM

I just got this from Shaw Direct ...

"We found out only this morning that Space HD will be added to our lineup on March20th! As long as you are subscribed to the SD version of the channel you will receive the HD version in the no extra cost HD package. This will be available on channel 275/363 advanced."

WOW TV is here! NTSC RIP!
Shaw Direct/Bell TV/Telus Optik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-01, 03:33 PM

At least Shaw Direct still has HDNet! If they drop it too I will consider it a big loss. I think their live concerts have the best quality HD and sound on televison.

post #78 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-01, 04:32 PM

Did you see this post HiDefBob?
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...0&postcount=66

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!

post #79 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-01, 06:01 PM

It would seem that their support staff are the last to know these things!

post #80 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-01, 10:27 PM

Location: Richmond, BC. Shaw Direct: DSR 630, DSR 600, DSR 505
I still think that Movietime and CBCNN should take priority. Space HD is not an adequate replacement for a channel that offered a unique lineup of shows from different genres. To be honest, I would rather subscribe to the new AXS channel then Space, as AXS will still broadcast the same Mixed Martial Arts Programming that I enjoyed on HDNet.

Last edited by seanwrestledude; 2012-03-01 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Simplified Wording
post #81 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 11:08 AM

Is there anything we can do to keep HD Net? We too watch channel for the great music concerts and other shows. It probably is the most watched channel in our house.

How do they make these decisions are they able to tell who watch's what or do the just guess?
post #82 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 11:54 AM
Veteran

The issue with HDNet is that the owner thinks the channel is more valuable then it is and charges a premium for it. This has led to many systems in both Canada and the us dropping the service
post #83 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 12:04 PM

HDnet is going off the air this month, and then it is going to be rebranded in July to what I had read (Axis or something). So isn't that the reason that Shaw Direct is replacing with Space HD, (whether Space is the best replacement choice). Same as DUSK television, is it not suppose to be going off the air also. With both of these channels shutting down, hard to keep them on the air, not the providers fault.

Question - With DUSK going of the air could Shaw Direct use that space to ad another HD channel or would they have to replace it with another SD channel?
post #84 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Question - With DUSK going of the air could Shaw Direct use that space to ad another HD channel or would they have to replace it with another SD channel?
When Dusk goes off the air, it will be replaced with ABC Spark.

Jessica - Shaw Direct Employee
post #85 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 06:59 PM

HDnet was the only reason I added HD extra lite to my programming. Since it's coming to an end I decided to remove that package even if it's only $2/month. Not worth it IMO. At this point, remove all the SD channels that have HD equivalents to make space and only have HD versions. Win win for everyone.
post #86 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_source View Post
...At this point, remove all the SD channels that have HD equivalents to make space and only have HD versions. Win win for everyone.
I think everyone pretty much agrees with that sentiment
post #87 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 08:44 PM
Veteran

Don't a majority of SD customers still use standard def. receivers? They might be pretty pissed if they took off the sd version of the hd channels.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #88 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-03, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
Don't a majority of SD customers still use standard def. receivers? They might be pretty pissed if they took off the sd version of the hd channels.
Probably. But since the 600 series receivers and most likely the rumored 700 series receivers will play HD content on SD TVs, make a plan to move customers over and get rid of waste/double channels. It's just plain logical.
post #89 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-04, 03:41 PM

Agree. Years ago you needed a big board with a lot of premium components to be able to decode HD.Now a $5 microcontroller can do it, with time to spare for other activities. Shaw should make all their receiver able to decode HD, and convert it to SD signal if desired ( all 500 and 600 series receivers can do this). Sell if you want a cheper model for marketing purposes whic will not output HD (does not really make sense for me, but anyway...), and eliminate all Standard Def channels whic have an HD equivalent.Maybe they are waiting for the next gen of receivers to do it, but I think it makes sense.
post #90 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-04, 04:45 PM

with HDnet being dropped i'll drop the hd package aswell
Closed Thread

Tags
new channels , satellite tv , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in