Shaw Direct 2012 New Channels Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 11:17 AM
Veteran

My Maths, or published documents, I forget, indicate the band used is only 250 Mhz (s opposded to 500 Mhz a satellite band usually has), so I reckon something like 16 transponders.

Currently, according to Lyngsat, Shaw Direct has about 3 to 4 HD MPEG2 channels per 8PSK transponder, 7 to 9 SD for MPEG2 QPSK, and 11 for MPEG4 QPSK.

Now, supposing that 3 MPEG4 channels can use the space of 1 MPEG2, and 8PSK will be used for modulation, it could mean around 8 HD channels per transponder, 128 HD channels total, less HD if you include some SD in that mix.

And that is only part one. Part two is they will start converting existing HD channels to start (by putting MPEG4 versions on G1 soon, then turning the MPEG2 version off eventually), and likely some QPSK MPEG2 later on, to MPEG4 8PSK, freeing up that much more space to add channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 01:14 PM

Interesting, if SD actually add's that much HD, that will put them right up there with Direct TV and Dish NEt as far as bang for you buck, and will put them way ahead of BEV.
post #48 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 03:22 PM

You are confusing potential capacity with current pricing. They have to pay for content so if they fill up their new capacity, the monthly price won't be staying the same. So "Bang for Buck" is still undetermined.

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --

post #49 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 04:15 PM
Veteran

Also keep in mind Shaw Direct is missing 50+ HD channels in comparison to other providers. The other providers (Bell, Cogeco, Rogers, Eastlink etc.) are still adding stations regularly, not just 1 or 2 per year like Shaw Direct. By the time G1 is in service, they will probably be missing 75+ or more. They will essentially be catching up to other providers. I don't expect that Shaw will ever have more HD then other providers. I fully expect that their HD service will continue to be weak in comparison to other providers.
post #50 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 04:21 PM

I'm really curious as to new content and pricing. They can't increase prices too much or they will price themselves out of the market. Yet, they have new space they need to pay for.
The package pricing will be interesting. I'm really hoping for an HD only pack.
Suppose they will go to 720p?
post #51 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-01-25, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I think they (Shaw Direct) have made it clear we won't be getting many more new HD channels until the new sattelite is up and running. I think they should do as they did with the Frame, trade off. How many people listen to the radio stations through the dish,getting rid of them would free up space surely at least enough for the much coveted Space HD
I listen to radio stations too so bad idea!!!
post #52 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-01-26, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpokane View Post
I'm really hoping for an HD only pack.
I'm hoping for the same, I find I rarely watch any other channels at this point. I noticed Rogers is now offering a HD VIP package, but I guess it's hard for SD to do the same with their currently weak lineup of HD.
post #53 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-02-24, 07:07 PM
Veteran

Space HD is coming to Shaw Direct on March 20th. While this is good news, the bad news is HDNet is being terminated on March 20th as well.
post #54 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-02-24, 09:54 PM

HDNet will be rebranded as AXS TV this summer, part of an agreement Mark Cuban made with Ryan Seacrest and Anschutz Entertainment. Format of the channel will be changing.
post #55 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 10:14 AM

^^^Will they bring the channel back at that point? Not that i'll resub to it at full price. I'm only subbing to it now b/c of the sale.
post #56 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 10:42 AM

@d_source: no clue. i am guessing they would have to re-apply to CRTC?
post #57 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 11:02 AM
Veteran

They wont have to reapply but I have serious doubts the channel will be making a return.
post #58 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 01:52 PM
DHC Supporter

I am happy about space HD, good to see we are getting more HD
post #59 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 02:15 PM
Veteran

It's not really more HD. They are just swapping one channel for another.
post #60 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-02-26, 09:27 AM

I guess HDnet just is bringing in the subs like they thought. Rogers got rid of the channel a while back and now SD as well. Can't say I blame them, other than the guys night in lineup, the channel doesn't really carry anything (and even that lineup is marginal at best). Anyone watch bikini barbershop? Terrible show but funny. LOL
Closed Thread

Tags
new channels , satellite tv , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in