Shaw Direct 2012 New Channels Discussion - Page 23 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #331 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-02, 09:26 PM
Rookie

locals

who decide which city to be locals for shawdirect ?it will be interesting to have cities like los angeles, las vegas,san francisco for locals ....why seattle ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-02, 11:48 PM

I would guess that they have chosen these U.S. stations (Seattle, Spokane etc) because they are the closest to our border and their news does have some cross border tie ins. If you want different news casts (that's all that would be different , CBS Seattle or L.A. would have the same network shows)check out WGN, KTLA,etc etc.
post #333 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-03, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawguyg View Post
I would guess that they have chosen these U.S. stations (Seattle, Spokane etc) because they are the closest to our border and their news does have some cross border tie ins. If you want different news casts (that's all that would be different , CBS Seattle or L.A. would have the same network shows)check out WGN, KTLA,etc etc.
Obviously you are not a football fan, that also would be different.

post #334 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-03, 11:40 PM

Has allot to do with nearby uplink centres. It gives Shaw Direct, competition with the local cable companies, in some of the bigger markets. Seattle is a natural for the Vancouver area and when they had Buffalo, it was a natural for Toronto. Over time, they switched off the Buffalo stations, mostly due to technical issues with the picture quality, from Buffalo. It would be interesting, however, to see some more exotic locations for U.S. locals, say New York and Los Angeles, or something similar.

Winegard PR8800, YA1713, Zenith7777 Preamp, 42" Aquos 120hz, Samsung UP5000 Blu Ray/HDDVD, C/Ku Band, Directv H21, 22.
post #335 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 09:44 AM

I believe the CRTC mandates which US OTA stations can be distributed in Canada
post #336 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 11:20 AM
Veteran

MODS: Posts #329 and on belong in the "programming packages and pricing" thread. Not this "New Channels" thread. Guys, please keep these threads on topic.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #337 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 07:15 PM
Rookie

my FXHD disappeared from my lineup

I'm having a problem with FX HD which I have a few questions about.

I hsve a DSR-630 and a DSR-530 (I rarely use the 530.) A few weeks ago I noticed FX appear on my 630 on channel 251. Then my 630 died (internal HD failure.) While waiting for the 630 to be exchanged I moved my 530 to my main entertainment center. No FX. I thought maybe it was an issue with the way Shaw was encoding FX and it being incompatible with the 530. No big deal (I thought) I'd just wait for my new 630.

The 630 came and was authorized yesterday. (Before authorization I saw FX in the 'new' guide lineup.) After authorization I got back my 'old' lineup, and no FX (nothing on 251.)

I thought, okay, wait overnight for a more complete download (although everything else in the guide was fine, full two weeks, and I had the latest firmware.) Now it's more than a day since authorization and still nothing listed on 251, no FX.

My questions are: has Shaw removed FX? If not, has anyone else had it disappear? Should it be available on a 530 as well as a 630? Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Thanks.
post #338 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 07:35 PM

FX is broadcasted in mp4 and while the 500 line was said to support mp4 with the help of an upgrade card that plan was abandonned a long time ago.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-11-06 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post immediately above yours.
post #339 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-09, 11:14 AM

We have FX Canada on ch 334 (advanced line-up). It disappeared off our I-guide (we have unsuscribed channels hidden) and then came back. We have an HDDSR-605.
Also, what package is NatGeo Wild in??
post #340 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-09, 12:42 PM
Veteran

I get Nat Geo Wild as part of my HD Combo pack but it's greyed out in the guide. I don't get the SD version in my Digital Indulgence package.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #341 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-09, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
I get Nat Geo Wild as part of my HD Combo pack but it's greyed out in the guide. I don't get the SD version in my Digital Indulgence package.
Wow, you just blew my mind. I too have Digital Indulgence and HD Combo Pack. Since the HD version of NGeo Wild is greyed out I assumed I didn't get it. Couple that with the fact that it's actually not part of HD Combo but rather the HD version is "free" with the SD subscription much like Space or Showcase HD. So I never bothered to just tune in NGEO Wild HD. But after reading your post I tried and ya I get it too. I'm pretty sure we shouldn't though. I think it's a mistake on Shaw's part that I will not call them on.

Thanks for this one Gary!
post #342 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-10, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifan View Post
It (or any other MPEG4 encoded channel) is unavailable for those with a 6XX series receiver who are using a STACKED LNB. SD has decided (in their ongoing wisdom?), to not create a 'V-code' for this combination of receiver and LNB..

So unless you upgrade the dish/lnb at your own expense....you are S.O.L.
what's the technology called if it ISN'T a "stacked" LNB?
post #343 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-10, 05:29 PM

We have Digital indulgence Lite with the Western US nets in HD. We are getting NatGeoWild HD , but it does not come up in our guide because the unsubscribed channels are hidden. As for the SD version, I don't know. This might be a mistake on SD's part, so I will not bring it to their attention.
post #344 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-11, 01:21 PM
Veteran

Nearly all non-stacked dual look dishes are called "Quad" in that they have four independent outputs that use voltage switching for polarity, tone switching between satellites. Outside of the quad, the are just called non-stacked.
post #345 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-11-19, 02:58 PM

It was indicated last week that Shaw D will be adding Disney XD this Thursday (Nov 22) Standard Def. I had questioned a CSR if any new channels were on the horizon, this was mentioned. From my conversation looks like this is the last of any new channels until the new satellite is up and running unless something else changes.
Closed Thread

Tags
new channels , satellite tv , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in