Shaw Direct 2012 New Channels Discussion - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #226 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 09:13 AM
Veteran

The problem is Shaw Direct customers don't matter to Shaw. What gets carried by Shaw Direct is almost completely determined by their commercial distribution arm; Shaw Broadcast. Because these feeds are used for cable system headends, this is likely not possible.

As for the Spokane feeds, there was a plan to remove those feeds once the fibre optic network from Spokane-Calgary was completed. It was completed last year. I'm not sure why the Spokane feeds are still on Shaw Direct.

Unfortunately, it is looking like January is the absolute earliest for new channels. Expected launch date of Anik G1 is mid-November.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 10:01 AM
Veteran

What they could probably do is move those West channels form MPEG2 QPSK, move other channels to their place to free a transponder, to put them and more channels in MPEG4 8PSK, on that freed transponder.
post #228 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 10:40 AM

I believe Charter Communications in Washington state still uses Shaw Broadcast to feed Spokane stations to places like Omak.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!

post #229 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 01:56 PM

Sun News HD

If Shaw Direct doesn't add Sun News HD when this new satellite launches, like Rogers and Bell and Cogeco already have, I will be dropping Shaw Direct services.
post #230 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 02:12 PM

Bell does not carry Sun News HD, thankfully. That's one channel I could care less to see show up again.
post #231 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 02:13 PM

Just another point of view but I'd be tempted to jump ship to the first provider that drops Sun "News" Network.

LONSat
post #232 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 03:42 PM
Veteran

IMHO, news stations are a waste of HD bandwidth these days. I don't need to see the razor stubble or blemishes on the faces of those talking heads to hear and dismiss their blather. Most site feeds of real news, the few that still are obtained, are usually in SD anyway.

Shaw Direct's HD channel coverage certainly makes little sense from a consumer's point of view. Two HBO feeds, where one is simply a three hour time shift, adds little value. Meanwhile, other Astral HD feeds, like MPIX, that provide additional content are missing. I suspect that's an internal, political decision rather than anything based on logic.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #233 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 04:46 PM

2 HBO HDs makes sense to me not everyone in the West can get home from work in time to watch the East feed so why shouldn't they get shows in HD too?
post #234 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 05:01 PM
Veteran

Tomorrow is August 1st... any news on new channels coming or HD channels coming? Someone mentioned that CityTvHD was possibly coming soon.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #235 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 05:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
2 HBO HDs makes sense to me not everyone in the West can get home from work in time to watch the East feed so why shouldn't they get shows in HD too?
Because the eastern feed usually repeats popular new shows 3 hours later anyway. (Example: Real Time With Bill Maher at 10PM and 1AM Fridays and it's the same for almost all other new HBO series.) There is no need for two feeds in the first place. They can just repeat the 3 hour prime time slot after 3 hours like many other national stations do. Even PBS does this. HBO Canada already repeats every new show 5 times a week so it's not like people in the west will miss anything.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #236 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 12:54 PM

Quote:
the problem with dropping SD feeds of channels available in HD is the arctic Market. There is a pretty large population of Shaw Direct account holders in Nunavut , NWT and Northern Yukon that are outside of the F2 footprint for a standard 75E. Not everyone can afford the 2 1.2 meter dishes that are required for f2 reception in the North.
I know sat companies make a lot of money in rural areas, but I can't wrap my head around how this could be true. The combined population of those territories is a small fraction of a percent of the national population.

Edit: 0.3% - I did the math and rounded up.
post #237 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 05:52 PM

reply to markb. Bell carries Sun News. They started carrying it again in Dec of 2011.
post #238 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 06:14 PM

Never said Bell didn't carry it, I did say Bell doesn't carry Sun News HD. Bell only carries the channel in SD, not the HD version.
post #239 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 08:36 PM
Veteran

Sun News isn't really HD anyway. Their HD feed is just SD Widescreen. At least it was the last time I tuned in (8 months ago).
post #240 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-08-02, 01:31 AM
Veteran

Plus, you don't need HD or a wide screen to see what most guys are looking at when the "Sunshine Girls" are reading the news.

Closed Thread

Tags
new channels , satellite tv , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in