Shaw Direct 2012 New Channels Discussion - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-29, 10:35 PM

Bent, can you site your reference for stating that Shaw Cable has lost 66,000 subscribers in the last quarter? After I read that I was curious if they had actually lost that many and looked at the first quartlery report for 2012 and it states that while they lost almost 23,000 basic cable subscribers, that the rest of the divisions made gains that outweigh that loss. ie they gained almost 60,000 digital cable subscribers http://www.shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Cor...1stQtr2012.pdf page 4

Last edited by Kartan; 2012-03-29 at 10:37 PM. Reason: grammar/spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-02, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartan View Post
Bent, can you site your reference for stating that Shaw Cable has lost 66,000 subscribers in the last quarter? After I read that I was curious if they had actually lost that many and looked at the first quartlery report for 2012 and it states that while they lost almost 23,000 basic cable subscribers, that the rest of the divisions made gains that outweigh that loss. ie they gained almost 60,000 digital cable subscribers http://www.shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Cor...1stQtr2012.pdf page 4
Meaning it not a loss but a normal migration from analogue Cable to Digital.
post #153 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-03, 12:45 PM

Shaw Cable lost 22,768 subs in the quarter ended Nov. 30. This is the net number after the analog to digital migration, since even digital subs have basic. This has been discussed in detail in the Shaw Cable forum - see this example:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=142109

Now, back on topic...

post #154 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-09, 01:11 PM

Does anyone know if Shaw Direct has plans to bring back HD Net?
post #155 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-09, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barndoor32 View Post
Does anyone know if Shaw Direct has plans to bring back HD Net?
I think they don't have any transponder space until the new sat by the end of the year.I also doubt that SD will be the only Canadian provider to carry it ,as all the others dropped HDNet before SD.Anyway they are changing their name and probably programming structure in Summer in US also.
post #156 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-09, 06:11 PM
QCK

HDNET will not be back. The replacement channel coming this summer as mentioned above will be AXS.TV: http://www.hd.net/press_articles/hdn...become-axs-tv/

They will still cover MMA as they do now with HDNET. I have already asked Shaw Direct to add this channel. Hopefully many others will do the same to get the unique MMA coverage they offer back for us to watch on the new AXS.TV channel.
post #157 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-09, 07:14 PM
Veteran

I wouldn't count on many ethnic channels being added. It's never been a core product offering.
post #158 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-11, 11:27 AM

I am wondering if any one else has noticed the following: We have Digital Indulgence Lite, and the following channels are on freeview, Slice (which is part of our package), National Geographic (which is part of our package), Space HD, DIY, and Spark. The odd thing is that the Free preview band on the station icon only appears on Spark and Space HD. It does not appear on DIY, which is not part of the package. I am assuming that Spark and Space HD are also not part of our package.
post #159 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-11, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableredneck View Post
I am wondering if any one else has noticed the following: We have Digital Indulgence Lite, and the following channels are on freeview, Slice (which is part of our package), National Geographic (which is part of our package), Space HD, DIY, and Spark. The odd thing is that the Free preview band on the station icon only appears on Spark and Space HD. It does not appear on DIY, which is not part of the package. I am assuming that Spark and Space HD are also not part of our package.
Space is part of DILite so I suppose Space HD also.If not it should be part of HD Extra as it's replacing HDNet.Not sure ,as I have HD Extra on top of DILite.

PS - Just double checked.Space HD is free with Space subscription (which is part of DILite).
post #160 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-13, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCK View Post
HDNET will not be back. The replacement channel coming this summer as mentioned above will be AXS.TV: http://www.hd.net/press_articles/hdn...become-axs-tv/

They will still cover MMA as they do now with HDNET. I have already asked Shaw Direct to add this channel. Hopefully many others will do the same to get the unique MMA coverage they offer back for us to watch on the new AXS.TV channel.
I liked the concerts they played on Sunday and will miss that no other network was carrying that stuff.
post #161 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 03:00 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
I don't remember what package I am on. We get all the networks in HD both east and west, but we don't get HBO or MSNBC, Bloomberg or Movie Central.

But we get a bunch of specialty channels that we never watch. Would like to continue to get Food, HG, TCM. Also get TSN SD only. Any ideas?
post #162 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-23, 06:17 PM
Veteran

It appears that Shaw Broadcast/Shaw Direct will begin launching MPEG-4 signals on Anik F1R shortly using transponder 1. These signals will serve as a test for both Shaw Direct and Shaw Broadcast to get any issues ironed out before the launch of Anik G1 still scheduled to be in operation later this year.

There is a general bulletin on Shaw Broadcast's website

There isn't any specifics on what the initial MPEG-4 signals will be or when the signals will launch. Hopefully this means Shaw Direct customers will finally get some decent HD channel additions. Still likely short of what's available elsewhere but it's a start.
post #163 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-25, 05:20 PM

Why doesn't SHaw have PBS West in HD?

We just got Shaw and its working fine but we're very surprised to see that the Seattle PBS station isnt in HD. Anyone know why??
post #164 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-25, 06:20 PM

I would say bandwidth but I'm no expert. There is a long list of HD channels we don't get with SD.
post #165 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 11:02 PM

Shaw Direct customers may have PBS West HD by this fall. Shaw Direct has been saying, " A new satellite launching in 2012 will bring you more programming than ever before and Shaw Direct will be the first to bring you 200 HD channels! Stay tuned. "
Only a few more months to wait now if all goes as planned.
Closed Thread

Tags
new channels , satellite tv , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in