Shaw Direct 2012 New Channels Discussion - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-25, 06:42 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf86 View Post
they already have a channel like that....it's called fight network.
But the Fight Network does not carry the live events that HDNET and the future renamed AXSTV carry which are far superior higher quality events that cannot be seen anywhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-25, 09:29 PM

From what I've read, Shaw may still pick up AXS TV in the future, however that obviously will hinge on negotiations with the owners. Though I wouldn't hold my breathe on it until after the new sat goes operational
post #138 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 10:25 AM

This quote makes me laugh:

"HDNet No Longer Available
HDNet is no longer available as a channel for any Canadian television provider. If you are subscribed to the channel in the HD Extra package, it was removed without impacting the other channels in the package."

In other words, we've removed the channel but it won't affect the cost of the package. So SD is allowing you to now pay more for less. LOL

post #139 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 11:43 AM
Veteran

And the statement is a lie. Some systems still carry HDNet. I believe it's still offered by Eastlink. Source Cable in Hamilton still carries it as well.
post #140 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 12:38 PM

According to the Shaw Direct website, ABC Spark will be carried on Digital Lite and the Essentials packages. I guess this is after the freeview.
post #141 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 12:57 PM

is there any updates on the new bird and when they anticipate it going live? and thus what channels may be added? last i heard was fall of this year. i'm hoping for a college sports ppv tier to be added similar to what bell offers for ncaa football season.
post #142 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 01:29 PM
Veteran

Launch date of Anik G1 is estimated to be Sept 30, 2012. It will take probably another 1-2 months for the satellite to be fully operational.
post #143 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 04:34 PM

With that being the case this thread should probably be closed now and the Shaw Direct 2013 New Channels Discussion one be opened and locked until then. I don't see too many changes coming between now and then other than Fox Sports World being canned.

LONSat
post #144 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 06:44 PM

Launch date of Anik G1

Last couple of times that I have contacted Shaw Direct, I asked the question regarding the Satellite and when will it actually be up in the sky. I was told by both CSR reps that the satellite has already been launch, and if that is the case would it not then in orbit?

Also was told that it won't be until later this summer when it will actually be active, and then of course they will have to test it so it is working properly. Does this all make sense? Would it already be launched?
post #145 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 11:16 PM
Veteran

The satellite is NOT launched yet. The CSRs are blowing smoke. The estimated launch date of Anik G1 is end of September. The satellite is expected to be operational sometime on Q4 of this year. This information is readily available on various websites, including Telesat's. I wouldn't expect anything until November at the earliest and that's if there is no delays.

I'm willing to bet that even once new channels arrive, the offerings will be underwhelming. The packages will probably be a total rip-off and they will probably STILL be missing channels that almost all other providers carry. If anyone thinks that Shaw Direct is going to offer something competitive, you are in for a world of disappointment. Look at what they have accomplished in the past decade; hardware always outdated, channel selection among the worst of any provider, botched firmware upgrades, features that get promised but never get launched, horrible HD selection; the list goes on...
post #146 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 11:36 PM
Veteran

New channels 2012...2013. Satellite launches have failed at times. Plan B?
post #147 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 11:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
New channels 2012...2013. Satellite launches have failed at times. Plan B?
That's very true, and especially true of Telesat. They have not had the best track record for satellites. There was issues with Anik E1, E2, F1 and Nimiq 2 and I'm sure others. I'm sure there is no plan B, except to dangle the carrot to customers and say, stick with us, we'll eventually get it right.

This is the thing that angers me most about Shaw Direct. They ordered this satellite back in 2010, knowing it would take 2-2 1/2 years to get it into operation. Once the 600 series receivers came out, they should have begun the switch of all HD channels to MPEG-4 so that they could keep up with demand. Instead they choose to do nothing and here we are waiting almost another 8-10 months before anything new comes. I am beyond frustrated when I see all the other providers launch HD channels and all we have gotten in the last year is one additional English HD channel.

I wouldn't be so impatient and so vocal about this if Shaw Direct would at least try to make an attempt to add some HD channels between now and the launch of G1. Even 5 or 6 new HD channels would go a long way with me. It's the fact that we are getting nothing at all that makes me very bitter about the situation.
post #148 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-27, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
That's very true, and especially true of Telesat. They have not had the best track record for satellites. There was issues with Anik E1, E2, F1 and Nimiq 2 and I'm sure others. I'm sure there is no plan B, except to dangle the carrot to customers and say, stick with us, we'll eventually get it right.

This is the thing that angers me most about Shaw Direct. They ordered this satellite back in 2010, knowing it would take 2-2 1/2 years to get it into operation. Once the 600 series receivers came out, they should have begun the switch of all HD channels to MPEG-4 so that they could keep up with demand. Instead they choose to do nothing and here we are waiting almost another 8-10 months before anything new comes. I am beyond frustrated when I see all the other providers launch HD channels and all we have gotten in the last year is one additional English HD channel.

I wouldn't be so impatient and so vocal about this if Shaw Direct would at least try to make an attempt to add some HD channels between now and the launch of G1. Even 5 or 6 new HD channels would go a long way with me. It's the fact that we are getting nothing at all that makes me very bitter about the situation.
They could also make the cheapest new receiver they offer (non HD) able to decode HD even if outputs in SD. The cost is minimal today, the chip in fact could cost even less than a non HD decoder. They should start swaping old receivers (I think the new GUIDE alone is a good enough incentive) and eliminate all SD channels which have an HD equivalent. More will come soon. This will free a number of transponders and make space for HD.
I almost don't even go in guide and check what's playing on SD channels, for a long time already. I almost forgot they are there (Space was the only one I was watching , but now it's HD). My wife watches sometime Much Music (which can also be in HD).
post #149 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-29, 08:56 AM
Veteran

That in fact is the case. All of the 6xx series receivers can tune and play all the channels Shaw Direct currently carries, including MPEG4 and presumably MPEG4-HD. They all can output composite A/V at least. The 600 is the entry level receiver, which also has a CH 3/4 RF out.

However, in Shaw Direct's books, they see the wait out for G1 more economical. It may just be that there aren't or weren't enough 600s available to swap in time to be able to do such a conversion.
post #150 of 354 (permalink) Old 2012-03-29, 11:38 AM

Quote:
they see the wait out for G1 more economical.
If Shaw Direct is still in business at that time.

Apparently DirecTV is having a big issue with rainfade on their Ka band satellites when they do 1080p tests. They are looking for Ku or DBS capacity in the 101 to 119 arc.

With all the bleeding of subs at Shaw Cable (over 66,000 in the last quarter) + the increased churn at SD; don't be surprised to see all F1R transponders sold to DirecTV if Shaw can convince Dish to buy the F2 transponders.

And now that the economy is starting to turn around, institutional investors (the main owners of Shaw stock) are starting to look at moving investments from companies with 4 to 5% dividends to companies with growth potential. It's only a matter of time before Shaw will have to sell Shaw Cable and sell or close SD and SBS.

Because the Shaw family was too busy spending their money and playing with all their toys over the last decade, they missed the report "No Cell Phone Offering, No future" for integrated telecoms.
Closed Thread

Tags
new channels , satellite tv , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in