current Shaw Direct receiver upgrade exchange promotions - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 06:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
About 3 months ago I was able to exchange two 505's for two 605's for free. Initially they were going to offer me an exchange for $75 for each receiver but I balked at it.

I did sell my point that I have been a customer for quite a few years and have a bill close to $100 a month. They left me on hold for a while and a different csr came back and agreed to send them for free. He did comment that he saw that I was a long term customer and that I had always paid the bill on time..........probably the kind of customer they don't want jumping ship.

The 605's arrived by purolater a few days after ordering with prepaid boxes to send back the 505's. So overall happy with the service.
I can second that motion, my dad did the same thing a few months ago and exchanged his 2 existing dsr505 to 2 brand new 605 at no cost. But as the previous poster mentionned he was also a long time customer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 2013-01-03, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
About 3 months ago I was able to exchange two 505's for two 605's for free. Initially they were going to offer me an exchange for $75 for each receiver but I balked at it.

I did sell my point that I have been a customer for quite a few years and have a bill close to $100 a month. They left me on hold for a while and a different csr came back and agreed to send them for free. He did comment that he saw that I was a long term customer and that I had always paid the bill on time..........probably the kind of customer they don't want jumping ship.

The 605's arrived by purolater a few days after ordering with prepaid boxes to send back the 505's. So overall happy with the service.
hi there - what department did you talk to for that price? regular rep, or did you get elevated to 'customer relations', or whatever they call themselves.
I have a couple of 505's that are working fine, but if the deals are there, I'd like to know the least expensive path to upgrading to 605's
thanks
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander_85 View Post
I can second that motion, my dad did the same thing a few months ago and exchanged his 2 existing dsr505 to 2 brand new 605 at no cost. But as the previous poster mentionned he was also a long time customer...
did your dad have any problems doing this, or was it fairly straightforward?

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 2013-03-06, 10:39 AM

Asked to speak to Customer Relations
I just got a 630 for $100

my cost was $199 but they also credited my account $100 programming credit (not PPV credits, but full credit) I had an old 317 that they decommissioned. I have to get rid of it myself. I specifically asked what they meant by decommissioned. It can never be activated ever again by anyone. I asked if I also decommissioned a 319 or 505 that I also have would I get more of a discount, she said no. I did not fight too hard.

In addition, I got an $8 credit off of my bill for the next 12 months to help offset the HD combo pack I subscribe to. This credit has been in effect for the past 11 months and was about to expire.

Maybe not the greatest deal out there, but I'm ok with it. Should be easy for anyone to get this. This is what she offered right off the bat.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 2013-03-08, 09:36 PM

Got a 630 for $99 including shipping to replace a 530; no programming credit; I believe this deal is available to long time customers if you push for it; not sure if anything better is available
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 2013-03-30, 12:13 AM

I was offered $49 to send me new 2 605 boxes to replace my 2 500series. 1 a 505 and 1a 530. I balked at this as I want pvr in exchange. I'm only missing out on fx Canada that I watch as new channels, so I said I will wait for a better deal. He said I don't need to send the old back, but whatever, what am I going to do with large furniture haha.

I did opt in to change my LNB with the 3rd eye for $50.00. Seem about right?

Last edited by Wazabi; 2013-03-30 at 12:28 AM.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 2013-03-30, 09:37 AM

So far the best you're going to get is $49 to trade in to a non-PVR model, and $99 to trade in to a PVR model. I seriously doubt there will be better deals than this. What will more likely happen is that as more and more HD channels are converted to MPEG4, people on older HD hardware will start to notice the lost and climb on board the existing deal. Or just suffer until they eventually decide to cancel the service.

Those customers who don't care about HD will likely carry on as they are now, and don't really need a deal. I assume at some point though, non-HD receivers won't be available (ie. if they need a replacement for a dead old one).

Does the $50 deal for the LNB upgrade include installation?

Brad.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 2013-03-30, 12:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
$49 to send me new 2 605 boxes to replace my 2 500series. 1 a 505 and 1a 530
It should be a 605 and 630 for a 505 and 530. What is Shaw trying to pull here? It looks like they are providing the second 605 for free but that is a significant downgrade. Considering that Shaw giving new customers a free 605 and 630, they can do better than this.

Paying a nominal fee is not as good as a straight swap but they are replacing old receivers with new receivers. Bell didn't charge for a similar swap but a lot of their replacements were refurbs and/or receivers with less functionality.

I doubt Shaw will activate the old receivers so keeping them is a non-issue. They might be good for spare parts, such as the 530's hard drive. Letting you keep them just save Shaw the shipping and recycling costs.

IMHO, the LNB upgrade should be free to anyone who wants to watch channels on the new satellite. Just wait awhile and sub to one of the new channels on G1. You will likely get the LNB for free.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 2013-03-31, 03:26 PM

I am a longtime Shaw Direct Customer almost going back to the start of Star Choice. I currently have 2 - 600, 2 - 505 and a 315 receiver. I am looking to deactivate one of my 505 and possibly go to a 630 in it's place. My Tivo that I have been using for years with my Shaw Direct has just given up the ghost. My account has always been paid in full every month - what do you think they will offer me to upgrade one if not all 3 of my older receivers? I only need one PVR to record my Hockey, Football and Nascar.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 2013-04-01, 08:17 AM

You really need to call SD and ask. I know a DVR->DVR upgrade (ie. 530->630) is $99, and a non-DVR->non-DVR is $49. It's not clear what a non-DVR->DVR price would be, but I wouldn't be surprised at $149. While there's a slight chance you'll do better, I'd decline any offer that's worse.
Keep in mind these upgrade offers require you to re-up your contract for three years, which may or may not be a concern to you.
Drop back and let us know what they actually offer.

Brad.
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 2013-04-01, 08:46 AM

As noted above, I got a 630 via a 317 upgrade for $99 net. As it turned out, they never deactivated the 317. The key is you need to ask for Customer Relations when you get connected. If they ask why, simply state the the truth, "I want a receiver upgrade and Customer Relations can get me a better deal."

There is no 3yr contract extension. You may have to return your new receiver if inside 1yr.
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 10:49 AM

I've never heard of a 3 yr contract with SD. I upgraded 4 receivers 2 summers ago. 4 non-pvrs to 2 non-pvrs + 2 pvrs. Never once was there mention of a contract, not even the "leave within the first year and return the receivers" clause was mentioned.
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 06:39 PM

Best that they would offer me was $299 with a free LNB upgrade and installation of the second line and a multiswitch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in