Boat Antenna - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-09-11, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Boat Antenna

One of my friends have a boat and would like to get sat TV on is boat and home.

I wonder if a motorized antenna would work on a boat. with heavy wind the tracking system of the antenna should react pretty fast.

Anyone have ever tested a Shaw Direct (or anything else) install on a boat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-09-11, 06:40 PM

I wouldn't think it would be watchable in heavy windy.......and iffy at the wharf. but i'm talking through my *ss.

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 09:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post

I wonder if a motorized antenna would work on a boat. with heavy wind the tracking system of the antenna should react pretty fast.

Has your friend or yourself ever had the pleasure of trying to tune a sat? If you had I'm sure you would realize that a dish on a boat would be an impossibility. Even on the calmest waters, Im sure the boat would be moving slightly, and even the slightest changes in dish direction can cause total loss of signal. Motors are not designed to track a specific sat if the dish moves....they are designed to move a dish in an arc pattern across the sky in order to receive different birds that are all located along this same arc.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchamber View Post
Has your friend or yourself ever had the pleasure of trying to tune a sat? If you had I'm sure you would realize that a dish on a boat would be an impossibility. Even on the calmest waters, Im sure the boat would be moving slightly, and even the slightest changes in dish direction can cause total loss of signal. Motors are not designed to track a specific sat if the dish moves....they are designed to move a dish in an arc pattern across the sky in order to receive different birds that are all located along this same arc.
When he said motorized, I would assume he meant one of those tracking dishes for RVs and motorhomes that keeps a lock and moves the dish as the vehicle moves. While I'm sure that would theoretically work fine on the calmest of water when at the very least you might be moving north/south/east/west and only very slightly up/down, you'd probably run into issues on choppy water where the dish couldn't track the satellite quick enough.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 01:30 AM

Cool If you've got a few extra dollars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post

Gents,

If you've got a few extra dollars this is a snap to do. You'll need to get an auto-tracking Satellite attenna system. My Buddy's got a 40 foot Cabo Sportsfisher and I talked him into this when he had it built (OMG it's 6 years ago ). He has a few $ and wanted to build the ultimate sportsfisher to cruise about and primarily chase Salmon in the great Pacific Northwest.

http://www.cobham.com/about-cobham/a...t-sea-tel.aspx

I was counseling him, and just before I said to go with Shaw (mostly for better reception footprint at the time), he went down to the USA and someone there convinced him to go with Bell due to their familiarity with a US Satellite company (Dish) that used similar gear.

Folks who say you'll lose signal in the wind, waves, movement really don't know the technology. We tested the Cabo doing very tight figure eights at 20 knots and the Football game was locked in => not a blur. We've had Fish on 20 miles out in 14 foot swells with a 3 foot chop on top and the Lions game was on in the Salon and it was rock solid.

In those days I remember the Sea Tel system was about $6500 US (The Boat was finished in Long Beach, California). The only downside was switching birds was painful. It is a Round Dish which in those days had to cycle to get from Nimiq 4 @ 82.0° to Nimiq 1 @ 91.0°. The time it took caused the channel map to dissappear so you had to wait for it to re-initialise (about 15 minutes each time as I remember). I investigated a remedy a couple years ago with a Sea Tel distributor here in Vancouver. He advised the generation of system purchased for the Cabo, was re-design the next year and it can now quickly jump back and forth between Birds (think seconds). It's about $7,500 for it now but to retrofit it would be tough to re & re all the Cabling.

This same technology is used by all the major Cruise Ships and Yachts for the wealthy. They look like white domes high up in the superstructure.

Regards,
Jim
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 10:09 AM
Veteran

Jimsathome, please edit the second picture to reduce the size. Very large pictures make the post difficult to read.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 09:04 PM

I received a pdf a few months ago and it was informing us of one of these for shaw that did both birds at once..pretty cool... I had no idea they were that fast tho!!

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 02:22 AM

Scary,

Sorry about that. I can't edit it after someone posts. Perhaps a Mod can just nuke the link to that photo.

Regards,
Jim
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsathome View Post
Scary,

Sorry about that. I can't edit it after someone posts. Perhaps a Mod can just nuke the link to that photo.
it's not a big deal, Jim....not to mention, very sweet water craft!!!...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Interesting answer... we will probably work on that this winter.

ShawDirect is by far preferred

When you cruise on your boat you don't want to see the Bell name anywhere
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-09-12, 08:11 AM
Rookie

This is a great device! I found some more information on this website: http://www.nauticexpo.com/boat-manuf...nna-22509.html
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-06-02, 08:47 PM

Why did I get a notification that "Matis056 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Boat Antenna - in the Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice) forum of Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums." when it looks like he replied last year?

Regards,
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in