Free Satellite to Canadians Losing OTA (LTSS) - See Links In Post 1 - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-22, 09:38 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cham View Post
Contacted Shaw. They said the "free local channels" was a promotion and was only a 90 day thing. A basic subscription is required to re-activate the receiver at $39/mo.
I suspect someone at Shaw doesn't understand what I was talking about regarding this "free service". I am sure talking to the right person would have fixed this but I have no patience for sitting on the phone for hours talking to idiots.
Yes, it does sound like the person at Shaw was confused. The LTSS programme doesn't expire until Nov. 30, 2012 Did you ask for the "LTSS" programme by name?

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 09:22 AM

I did mention LTSS and Free local service program etc. They played dumb. Local installer/Shaw guy said it was only a temporary thing. I find that very odd and misleading for Shaw, I always thought they were a good reliable service.

I am wondering if the installer didn't activate the receiver (may have been previously activated on another account?) and didn't want to bother with it now... Just speculation of course.

Any way that problem is solved.

One variable though, the dish, receiver, and feedline; are these the property of Shaw or the home owner? There was no contract signed etc... maybe they will want them back?

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...
post #63 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 03:14 PM

The "OFFER" for the LTSS free locals is available to sign up for, until Nov. 30th 2012, but once you have it, you have it for "Life" according to SHAW Direct. If you get a paid package through SHAW Direct, you cannot revert back to the free package.

I imagine that depending upon who you talk to, the service and answers will vary.

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?

post #64 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-02, 10:22 AM

I live near Grande Prairie , Alberta and according to the Shaw web site , they don't seem to have a distributor in this area.

Wondering where I can find a list of cities being serviced by Shaw's LTSS program.

I've contacted them and am waiting to hear back but I'm impatient as we're missing episodes of "Coronation Street"
post #65 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-02, 11:05 AM

So I'm disappointed I didn't hear about this sooner. We haven't paid for TV for a long time because the price has gotten ridiculous from both Bell and Shaw. I called Shaw up and I qualified for the program, they sent the form, but made a typo on my address. Postal Code is right so that'll get it to my post office so they shouldn't have any problem, I just don't want to have to call them back. I emailed them the form so hope to get it soon!
post #66 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-14, 04:51 PM

Update: the guy is coming to install it tomorrow, got the receiver monday Aug 13, hopefully will get it going soon . Will be nice to get tv again.
post #67 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-20, 10:35 AM
Rookie

I have also just heard of this ltss program today and have applied today. I am supposed to be getting a form in the mail.
post #68 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-22, 07:11 PM

Located in SW Calgary, a few miles from most of the OTA broadcast towers. No complaints with the switch to digital reception using an indoor Stealth Hawk mounted on a high bookcase. Most of the 8 channels converted from analog a year ago. Access (CIAN channel 13) decided going digital wasn't worth it and pulled the plug.

But the recent SRC (Societe Radio-Canada) CBRFT is the big loss, as my wife is French-Canadian (we speak it in the house; even the cat [Dijon] responds). On July 31st, the one year extension on analog SRC expired and we dearly miss it.

Inquired on the Shaw Direct LTSS program; got the email details, but need more tech info before sending in the form.

Essentially we would plan to use the dish/receiver only for the French CBC. The others they provide are ones that we already receive digitally or are duplicates from Edmonton. We currently also get Omni and CTS OTA, which Shaw does not provide in their LTSS pkg. However, I see Shaw also provides Access, which would be nice to get back.

We're currently using a Motorola MDR515H/F7 HDD Recorder for our OTA, and looking at the manual, it seems to accept cable and satellite signals. Couple of questions: I'm new to cable or satellite and notice in the daily newspaper program guides that the channel numbers are a way up there (like 200 to 700). My digital TV and the PVR seem to accept only up to channel numbers 125 or so. So how does that work ? And if 75% of our TV viewing is OTA, would we use a sort of A/B coax switch to get SRC French from the dish while maintaing the connection to our indoor antenna ? I'm assuming that current OTA picture quality will exceed that from Shaw SD.

I'm also concerned about the outside mounting and running cable through the house, and would like to discuss this with them before they start punching holes. Then again, I shouldn't complain if it's free.
post #69 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-22, 08:05 PM
Rookie

The Shaw Receiver will connect to the TV on a different Input than the OTA Antenna, so any channel numbers will be irrelevant, as you will just use the Sat Receiver to tune to the required channel, via the different Input, not the TV.

The Composite Output of the Sat Receiver will connect to the Input of your HDD Recorder.
post #70 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-23, 06:19 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
I'm assuming they will provide you with the basic DSR600 receiver.

As pinza already mentioned, you will connect the composite outputs from the DSR600 to the composite inputs on your recorder. Hopefully the recorder is smart enough to allow you to schedule recording from multiple inputs. You may find you only end up recording from the sat box.

When you want to record something from the satellite receiver, I think you will have to Auto Tune to the channel before hand. Check out the other DSR600/605 threads about recording to an external device.

You could also take the TV out RF coax from the 600 and run that into existing cable lines in your residence to display on channel 3 or 4 to analog TVs in the house. This would allow someone to be watching something over the air on the main TV, while someone else is watching a different channel in another room from the sat box.

I am assuming since you are currently using OTA your in house cable would not be connected to the outside Shaw world, but make sure to check that in advance. Sending your signal out from your house onto the Shaw cable TV lines would be a Bad Thing.

The HDMI output from the 600 could then be connected locally to your main TV.
post #71 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-23, 07:24 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by envirogeek View Post
I'm assuming they will provide you with the basic DSR600 receiver.
No, according to post #22 it is a reconditioned DSR-305. They may also use others, but it will almost definitely be an SD box.

Quote:
You could also take the TV out RF coax from the 600 and run that into existing cable lines in your residence to display on channel 3 or 4 to analog TVs in the house.
The coax lines in the house are likely used for his antenna so care would need to be made not to interfere with that or worse, start broadcasting OTA (Industry Canada would crack down on him for that).

Quote:
The HDMI output from the 600 could then be connected locally to your main TV.
There is no HDMI output, only S-VIDEO, composite and RF, so he would likely have to use S-VIDEO for his DVR and Composite for his TV or vise-versa. The audio would have to be split to go to both the DVR and TV.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #72 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-23, 08:04 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's the FAQ on how to connect, schedule, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76077

Most DVD recorders allow you to specify the input (for SAT)/channel (for OTA) when setting up the recording. Of course the Sat STB needs to be "scheduled" as well (I assume there is a "timer" function), or left on the channel to be recorded if not.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #73 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-23, 08:04 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
Too bad no HD under this program.

My assumption that the OP could use his existing wiring to distribute signal in house, and my warning about its use, was based on the statement "using an indoor Stealth Hawk mounted on a high bookcase" - the implication being the antenna and television are in the same room.

Last edited by envirogeek; 2012-08-23 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Brain fart, receiver box model confusion
post #74 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-10-03, 08:35 PM

My father has received a DSR600 HD PVR capable receiver for his LTSS from Shaw Direct, brand new to boot. According to his contract the equipment becomes his and he is responsible for it's replacement if it fails.

I suspect that Shaw have now run out of refurbished units, does anyone know this for a fact or was this a one off situation?

I don't know what channels he is getting or if any are in HD, but the PVR capability is quite the bonus for him.

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?
post #75 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-10-04, 09:22 AM
Veteran

Perhaps he is in one of those markets with MPEG4 locals, such as Kitchener. The 6xx receivers is all that can get the MPEG 4 channels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in