Free Satellite to Canadians Losing OTA (LTSS) - See Links In Post 1 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 251 (permalink) Old 2011-11-02, 08:20 PM

yes the $25 a month is called digital basics-canadian and american locals
and yes any t.v. will work.

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 251 (permalink) Old 2011-11-03, 11:16 AM
Veteran

Any TV will work.

All Shaw Direct boxes offer at least composite A/V out. Except the 605/630, they all have analog RF out. The 6xx receivers have HDMI, the 5xx receivers have DVI and S-video. Except the 600, all the 6xx and 5xx receivers have component. Some 3xx and 4xx receivers have S-video as well.
post #33 of 251 (permalink) Old 2011-12-05, 11:32 PM

I have a relative that just signed up for the "free Shaw local satellite" service not far from Winnipeg. Fellow came and installed a basic Shaw direct/Motorola receiver, dish, and feedline, no charge, no papers to sign. Very basic receiver has RF and composite out, they have an older TV so only the coax is connected. Only 4 channels (plus Shaw advertizement channel). CTV, Global, CITI TV and CBC. The CBC channel seems to be occasional (random?). No local CIIT or KNRR (Winnipeg & Pembina ND). Picture quality is ok for an older analog TV etc... Better than nothing I suppose.

I think this is great for those who are not able to install a TV antenna or wouldn't be bothered... and great for Shaw... (Up-selling!). Good PR but this thread is the first place I have heard mention of it. Shaw seems to want to keep it quiet.

Just FYI..
-C.

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...

post #34 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-02-24, 01:43 PM
Rookie

Want Digital HD Over The Air in St. John's/Other & having problems/no reception?

Sharing...

Not many people out there without Rogers/Bell-Aliant/Other already I'm sure,
but those of you who are, here is a way to get HDTV broadcasts without
any cost to you. I've heard that in the east-end (St. John's), CBC reception is very difficult to get - I cannot get it myself, but NTV comes through
just fine. In the west-end (St. John's) it is the other way around.

Shaw Direct is offering a free program to get OTA broadcasts - read
on.

I called them about it today, they said I qualify and emailed me
a form to send back to them. They will then send out the FREE
equipment. Once received, call them again and they will come out and
install it for FREE. The whole works is FREE. No need to buy your
own HDTV antenna. The service is FREE too.

---
http://www.shawdirect.ca/promotions/...p?WT.mc_id=DTV

http://www.shawdirect.ca/promotions/...p?WT.mc_id=DTV

-excerpt below

My channels are going dark but I've never been a cable or satellite
customer before. What are my options?

If you haven't been a cable or satellite customer in the last 90 days
and live in or near one of the cities listed below, you may be
eligible for our Local Television Satellite Solution (LTSS) program*.
This program will allow you to continue receiving the same or similar
Canadian over-the-air channels you've always enjoyed courtesy of Shaw
Direct. Please call one of our service representatives before November
30, 2012 at 1.888.782.7602 to see if you qualify.

Barrie Foymount London Saguenay Truro
Burmis Fredericton Moncton Saint John Vancouver
Calgary Halifax Montreal Sarnia-Oil Springs Victoria
Charlottetown Hamilton Ottawa Saskatoon Winnipeg
Chatham Kitchener Quebec City Sherbrooke Windsor
Digby Lac-Etchemin Quebec St. John's
Edmonton Lethbridge Riviere-du-loup Thunder Bay
Forestburg Lloydminster Rouyn-Noranda Trois-Rivieres
---
post #35 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 08:48 AM

The agreement with the CRTC at the time of authorization for Shaw to take over Global TV properties caps the total number of "Free" SD setups at 35,000 nationwide.

I'm not washed up yet
post #36 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 02:04 PM
Rookie

What is the catch 22 ?
post #37 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 04:26 PM
Veteran

Since Shaw is failing to deliver HD digital signals, they should be providing local HD signals to disadvantaged viewers. Global's digital transmitters are a joke in some areas. People just a few miles away from the towers cannot receive OTA signals. There also does not appear to be any movement to remedy the situation.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #38 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-02-29, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Very basic receiver has RF and composite out, they have an older TV so only the coax is connected. Only 4 channels (plus Shaw advertizement channel). CTV, Global, CITI TV and CBC. The CBC channel seems to be occasional (random?). No local CIIT or KNRR (Winnipeg & Pembina ND). Picture quality is ok for an older analog TV etc... Better than nothing I suppose.
I assume they are just offloading thier old receivers for that service.

I signed my Grandma up for the Digital Lite pack (hidden on their website for $27.41 a month) We found out it never included any Winnipeg locals so we called up and complained so they ended up putting her on the Digital Value Pack for $25.99 which includes Winnipeg locals plus a bunch of local across canada, Eastern canada & US networks in HD, TSN, Sportsnet and some other channels. I was impressed as after taxes is under $30 a month.
post #39 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-04-18, 02:44 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
With the CBC shutting down the remainder of its network owned analog transmitters July 31, I wonder if this programme will be expanded to the rest of the country.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #40 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-05-08, 11:41 AM

Just signed up for the LTSS program today and I'm expecting to receive my receiver in the mail sometime next week. The contract explicitly says that they will only support one active reciever on the account? Is there any way to setup a second receiver in the house, even if I purchase the second receiver on my own? or will I have to go back upstairs everytime I want to change the channel?
post #41 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-05-08, 12:12 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
AFAIK, you will only be able to use the one receiver (unless you want to pay for the service). If you want to connect it to multiple TVs, you could invest in an RF universal remote control for the other TV. Alternately, connect it to a HTPC and put another frontend on the other TV.

What stations are they giving you and where are you located? It would be nice if everyone with this service posted their location and channel lineup (including originating city of the stations). I gather the lineup is province based as a colleague of mine who lives on the other side of the river in Gatineau Quebec was looking into it and was told he would get the Quebec lineup but those here in Ottawa would get the Ontario lineup.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #42 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-05-08, 12:25 PM

I'll post an update as I go through the process. I'm in northern Ontario -Parry Sound District. The agent was very pleasant and filled out the majority of the form for me. The form asks what stations I'm losing (which is TVO and CBLT for now), but the form also states the available channels and it's the full line-up of broadcast services for central Ontario except CJMT (CBLT, CBOFT, CIII, CICI, CITY, TVO, CHCH, CKVR, CFMT). Sounds pretty good so far. As for the RF universal remote, any suggestions on that.... Is there a forum for those thingy's ;-)
post #43 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-05-08, 01:09 PM
Veteran

A very nice collection of stations. The only other missing station is CITS.

It seems to be a collection of station from across Ontario (SRC Ottawa, CTV Sudburry, CTV2 Barrie and everything else from Toronto), which is consistent with what I have heard. I am surprised they aren't giving you CBC Windsor, but that may be because they often show Detroit hockey games, which may make people very unhappy. It also may bey that Shaw doesn't carry it.

post #44 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-05-09, 09:34 AM
Veteran

CBC Windsor is not on Shaw Direct, that I know of.

For the RF remote, there are a few remote extender systems out there.
post #45 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-05-15, 12:17 PM
HWP

I signed up for that program last fall for my cottage in Kazabazua Quebec (Gatineau Hills north of Ottawa).

I got the receiver, but I haven't set-up the installation appointment yet.

Even though we're in the Ottawa area, we will be getting the Montreal channels. And it's an SD receiver, I believe. I seem to recall that we're only going to be getting the channels from the Camp Fortune tower - not the ones from Herbert's Corners.

Now that Global will be moving to rf14, we'll be able to go get it OTA anyway.

Nonetheless, I appreciate what Shaw has done. And it could work in their favour someday if we wanted to choose the path of least resistance and subscribe to a sattelite service.

OTA, Winegard HD7679 UHF&VHF-high Antenna, CM7778 pre-amp
CM Rotator, CM3218 Splitter, TiVo Premier, HDHomeRun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in