Free Satellite to Canadians Losing OTA (LTSS) - See Links In Post 1 - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #256 of 266 (permalink) Old 2019-08-28, 04:01 PM
Rookie

Correct I don't live in BC I'm in Western Quebec. I still get CTV Two Alberta in SD till it changes to HD I'm assuming.

I did enjoy watching Knowledge too bad it's no longer available in SD. I did try channel 009 and will keep trying.

I'm glad we installed an HD antenna so at least we will get our local channels when LTSS is over. Plus now we get to see our local news Ottawa instead of Montreal.

Thanks for the replies

Mary-Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 266 (permalink) Old 2019-08-29, 09:56 PM

Is Shaw’s Local Television Satellite Solution (LTSS) program being discontinued?

"The LTSS program was created by Shaw Direct as part of benefits package when it acquired CanWest Global back in 2010. The free program offers Canadians a satellite-delivered TV service in areas where local broadcasters have not converted to digital.

The program is currently scheduled to end on August 31, 2019. Even though Shaw Direct’s broadcasting licence was recently renewed until November 30, 2019, it had no impact on the LTSS program ending at the end of August.

It’s a business decision for Shaw Direct to decide to continue to offer the program to subscribers, including its terms and the CRTC is not involved in such a decision.

If you’re currently subscribed to the LTSS program, you should contact Shaw Direct directly for any additional information or to voice your concerns. You should also contact them for any questions related to the equipment used to receive the service."

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/contact/television/q11.htm

From Shaw Direct's reply to interventions:

"Shaw Direct launched LTSS Plus in April 2018. The LTSS Plus package, which is exclusively offered to LTSS participants, is available for $10.00/month for the first two years, and 25.00/month thereafter with free equipment rentals, and includes Shaw Direct’s basic service package as well as the US 4 +1 stations, and complimentary access to Shaw On Demand (Shaw’s video-on-demand service), and FreeRange TV (Shaw’s TV Everywhere app)."

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2019-08-29 at 10:24 PM.
post #258 of 266 (permalink) Old 2019-08-30, 02:50 PM
Rookie

One of the things that has always bothered us about the LTSS program is that you are only allowed one receiver so if you have more than one set they must all be connected to that receiver's output and all watch the same thing (which kind of makes having more than one set pointless) or you have to find an alternate source for them (in our case the sets in bedrooms &c are all still on the antenna so they get 2 channels).

There was no mention of any change to that in the information about LTSS Plus and there is no way I would pay for service to only one set, no matter how good a deal it was (& LTSS Plus is not a good deal in my opinion with so few of the many channels offered that we would actually watch).

Our receiver is still working today and I expect it will be tomorrow. If it doesn't work on Sunday I won't miss it much.

post #259 of 266 (permalink) Old 2019-09-08, 06:52 PM
Rookie

Are we the only ones that it still works for?
post #260 of 266 (permalink) Old 2019-10-08, 04:39 PM
Rookie

Is it just us or is LTSS still working for everyone? We lost a couple of channels (including Knowledge) but most of the few things we watched before are still there.
post #261 of 266 (permalink) Old 2019-10-08, 10:14 PM

If your equipment is 5xx series or earlier. I would expect to end around Oct 16th.

LONSat
post #262 of 266 (permalink) Old 2019-10-09, 11:47 AM
Rookie

It is the HDDSR600 that they made us replace the original box with last year.
post #263 of 266 (permalink) Old 2019-11-07, 11:14 PM

my ltss ended tonight. last August they offered me a $10.00 package that would last 2 years.This was to be available the day ltss package ended I called about it tonight. The operator was very very rude and told me i couldn't get the 10.00 package. i asked for a supervisor. She said the supervisor was not on duty as it was a long weekend. The was Thursday night on November 7th. She said it was the remembrance day long weekend.
Why can't I get the $10.00 package that was offered to me before?
post #264 of 266 (permalink) Old 2019-11-07, 11:49 PM

Sorry @Buffy but all quotes and offers have an expiration date. It's possible that the CSR couldn't enter the codes in the system as they no longer existed. You could possibly call back next week and a calmly ask to speak to someone higher up and see if something could be done. The LTSS program was extended long past it's initial end date, unfortunately it may be that you should have accepted the offer last August.

LONSat
post #265 of 266 (permalink) Old 2019-11-08, 10:59 AM

The LTSS upgrade program for $10 offered in the last 2 years expired with the program on August 31st. It is no longer available.
post #266 of 266 (permalink) Old 2019-11-08, 12:06 PM
Rookie

As I said before, the so-called "upgrade" program was only the same basic package with a lot of useless stuff added. If you wanted to keep us you would have had to do a lot better.

Our service has ended as well, either on Wednesday or yesterday morning before we turned the TV on. Except for channel 949. We won't cry over it because we were using it less & less anyway.

Ironically, what led me to LTSS in the first place was complaining to TVO when they ceased to broadcast OTA into our area but as of yesterday we had a strong signal in HD on the same channel they had previously shut down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in