Free Satellite to Canadians Losing OTA (LTSS) - See Links In Post 1 - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 11:45 AM
Rookie

So I talked to Shaw last night about getting the LTSS programming and they told me Aug 31st was the last day? Is this true? According to the CRTC it's in November 2014. What do I do if Shaw refuses to provide the service even though they're wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 01:17 PM

It sounds like the LTSS program is over - here is my post from last December:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Here's the CRTC letter confirming the FINAL extension of the program until November 30, 2014 unless the program is fully subscribed prior to November 30, 2014.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/lb131129.htm

At August 31, 2013 "a total of 25,946 households have availed themselves of the program. Shaw further indicated that given the actual month over month rate of subscription and the approval of the final extension period, the threshold of 31,500 subscriptions would be expected to be reached approximately at the end of August 2014".
post #213 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 01:33 PM

LTSS is closed for new applications

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/bulletins
Quote:
The Canadian Transition to Digital Television.

The Government of Canada and the Canadian Radio–television Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) have mandated that over-the-air television transmission must switch from analog to digital in many parts of Canada.

The majority of Canadians will not be affected. That's because more than 90% of Canadians receive their television signals through a cable or satellite provider. If you subscribe to a cable or satellite television service, such as Shaw Cable or Shaw Direct, or view your programming via the Internet, you will not be affected by this transition.

Viewers who watch local television stations using rabbit ears or an outdoor antenna may experience a loss of service. There are two ways that your television stations may be affected:
  • Over-the-air signals have been converted from analog to digital.
  • Shut down of analog over-the-air television transmitters.
In Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-782 (“Decision 2010-782”), the Commission approved a $15M benefits proposal by Shaw Communications Inc.(“Shaw”) for Shaw Direct to provide a satellite-delivered package of relevant local and regional over-the-air television stations to up to 31,500 households that had relied upon and lost access to a local station following the digital television transition. The program was entitled the Local Tele-vision Satellite Solution or LTSS and is scheduled to stop enrolling new households as of August 31, 2014.

Key dates

August 31st, 2014
The offer period for new LTSS households will end on August 31st, 2014. This is because the threshold of 31,500 households has been reached.

September 30th, 2014
Installations of LTSS subscriptions occurring up to August 31, 2014 must be completed no later than September 30, 2014. This is to ensure an orderly end to the program.

August 31st, 2019
Shaw Direct will continue to operate the LTSS service for installed households at no charge, until at least August 31, 2019, which coincides with Shaw Direct’s current Licence period.

post #214 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 05:18 PM

I just received my HD 600 RTC receiver, but there's no remote in the box. WTF?!
I called Shaw and got the run around. First agent offered to sell me a remote due to the fact that LTSS was such a great deal they wouldn't send one for free. I called back and the next agent is escalating a request to Business Dept.

Has this happened to anyone else?
post #215 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 05:52 PM
Rookie

I called them back, and the person I spoke with told me to submit an application. Does anyone have a copy? Thanks in advance.
post #216 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 06:49 PM

Well, just got mine installed in Vancouver. All channels SD except APTN (which isn't officially on the list), no extra channels (no weather network, etc).

All the channels in "free preview" mode for regular people show as subscribed to in the guide, but if I navigate to them I get the not subscribed message. Annoying. I used parental controls to block it out.

Don't know if I like where the dish is installed, but due to all the trees in the area I don't have a lot of choice. I suppose I'll get used to it.

Other notes: Has anyone successfully registered for My Account on the Shaw Direct website? Doesn't work for me. Sorta want to just so I can see if I get CTV GO.
post #217 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-09-12, 12:11 PM
Veteran

If you mean the receiver is a brown box refurb, they may have erred, and sent you a unit meant for exchange, in which case it is expected you use the remote from your original receiver.
post #218 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-09-18, 04:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjag View Post
I called them back, and the person I spoke with told me to submit an application. Does anyone have a copy? Thanks in advance.
They should have e-mailed it to you. If not send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will try to dig up the copy that they sent me. I have the receiver but never bothered to call for installation. I guess I should get on that. I too am worried about where they are putting the dish and the conduit coming into my house already has two coax cables in it, not sure if a 3rd one will fit.
post #219 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-09-18, 04:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Has anyone successfully registered for My Account on the Shaw Direct website? Doesn't work for me. Sorta want to just so I can see if I get CTV GO.
I was wondering this same thing but mine isn't installed yet, I've been dragging my feet.
post #220 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-09-28, 08:47 PM

what channels come with the $14.99 ltss upgrade for anyone that did the upgrade?
post #221 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-09-29, 03:59 PM

That one is easy.. with the $15/month package you get all the channels here:

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/pac.../digital-lite/
post #222 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 12:04 PM

Upgraded your LTSS? No going back now...

Just an update… I got called about the $14.99 LTSS upgraded package, and verified that I can go back to LTSS at anytime. The person on the phone said “no”. So I double-checked with a chat agent this morning:

Quote:
Madelaine (08:55:08):
Right now, if you upgrade to the $14.99/month LTSS package, you can no longer go back to the non-pay LTSS package. The program ended and the codes will not be available to put back once we remove it to add the $14.99/month package.
So there you have it, no going back now if you upgrade to the LTSS $14.99 package. I suspect people who upgraded before the “codes went away” are equally screwed… though I suspect if they complained loudly enough the request would go to the back office and they would have IT revert the service.

Easy decision for me then…
post #223 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 01:20 PM

upgraded package

I took the upgraded package, and the woman at the phone told me that i can't go back to LTSS.
It's Ok for me.
I also took the "time shift" for 0.99 $ for the first six months, and 4,99$ after.
I think it's a good deal : all the channels i wanted for more or less 20$...

The OTA signal was too unstable at the cottage

OTA & Shaw Direct
post #224 of 251 (permalink) Old 2014-12-06, 07:52 PM

Just an FYI for LTSS customers.

I'm a private satellite contractor. I recently did a service call for a lady using the LTSS service.

Her cable had been accidentally cut outside by contractors working on her building.

When she called Shaw for a service call, she was told Shaw does NOT do service calls for LTSS customers.
post #225 of 251 (permalink) Old 2015-09-11, 11:32 AM

Shaw LTSS final report

Shaw allocated $15 million for 31,500 households. For the reasons explained in the report, Shaw installed 35,682 units and is requesting the additional costs be allocated from the New Media benefit.

Summary of LTSS final accounting

UNIT 35,682
Admin Cost 5,125,000
Receiver & Dish Cost 5,004,419
Installation Cost 4,145,250
Marketing 791,843
Total 15,066,512

Source: CRTC ZIP file containing PDFs https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/DocW...10347

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in