Shaw Direct Simsub discussion - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcol View Post
I sent my complaint to "Ask Jim" as well and received two emails back. One was from Jennifer offering to speak with me about the issues but only between the hours of 9 am and 2 pm. As I am at work during that time and hard to reach so I emailed her back and asked if their was someone else who could speak to me about this during the evening hours. I did not get a response back however I did receive a second email from a different person who indicated that he would adjust my receiver account settings in such as way as to address my concerns. This "adjustment" is to happen today so I will be checking over the weekend to see if or to what extent the sub simming is still occuring.
I also complained and they are fixing it somehow, couldn't change channels for 30 minutes. Will have to check in primetime if anything happens. Don't know what they are doing, maybe changing receiver postal codes or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classof83 View Post
I put in a formal complaint to the CRTC recently, but still haven't received word. Shaw Direct can't change their simsub ways just because they bought a station now.
I also complained to the CRTC as SD is using their ownership of Global as means to simsub no matter location.
post #123 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 03:30 PM

Being new to all this, where are you sending the emails to? I'm 100km away from Toronto and outside of the Grade B contour so I definitely want these simsubs to stop if there is a way to do it.

post #124 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Go to Shaw Direct's website, and there are a few ways of voicing your complaints under the customer care, contact us section, including sending an email directly to the "Ask Jim" team. I was told that the "Ask Jim" team actually deals with these simsubs and implementing them. If enough people voice their displeasure, hopefully they will stop the simsubs altogether.
post #125 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 04:33 PM

New email

Just received an email from one of the Ask Jim responders stating that all of my receivers should now be sim sub free. It will be nice if this is true.
post #126 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Go to Shaw Direct's website, and there are a few ways of voicing your complaints under the customer care, contact us section, including sending an email directly to the "Ask Jim" team. I was told that the "Ask Jim" team actually deals with these simsubs and implementing them. If enough people voice their displeasure, hopefully they will stop the simsubs altogether.
I went to their web site and asked the hardware dept. if they would share the list of bug fixes in firmware 6.22. I get the feeling that was a no no. Within 24 hours I got a phone call and it wasn’t what I’d call a friendly conversation, after 10 minutes of questioning about why I needed that information and if I had it what would do with it

I ask a few questions but he wasn’t much for sharing information.

Last edited by paddy209; 2011-09-16 at 06:57 PM.
post #127 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

That's interesting jcol. Let us know if that is indeed the case. Maybe they are exempting people who want to be exempt by individual accounts? I know they implementing simsubs via postal codes based on where you live, so maybe they can even be more precise.
post #128 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 09:01 AM

Quote:
That's interesting jcol. Let us know if that is indeed the case. Maybe they are exempting people who want to be exempt by individual accounts? I know they implementing simsubs via postal codes based on where you live, so maybe they can even be more precise.
I got mine fixed too, when I got home I had no simsubs not even by the local CTV2 channel which I used to get when Dateline was on NBC. Not sure what they did, but it looks like I have a Western Canada setup instead.
post #129 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 10:00 AM

I just fired something off to Ask Jim. We'll see what they say. I'm particularly interested because even though I'm considered as being in the Toronto television market, I'm too far away to reliably pull in Toronto signals using an antenna.
post #130 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Well, this is the response I received from the ask Jim team:

"Iím sorry that you are unhappy with the Virtual Channel Override. It is true that in some areas customers may decide that they do not want to be a part of this and opt out. I see on your account that you were displeased with the simultaneous substitution in the past as well. We believe that we have corrected the issues that you noted, but due to your previous experiences we will change the code on your receiver so you do not have the Virtual Channel Override. This is not a guarantee that you will never have the override, as areas and territories that are affected by this may change in the future. However, we have remove the override for you at this time.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. Please include any previous correspondence with your replies."

I hope it's true. I'll have to wait to find out of course. I think Global picks up golf today from NBC, so I can check then. Otherwise, it'll be Sunday night most likely to determine for sure.
post #131 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 11:13 AM

And this is the response I got...

"Iím glad that you have been enjoying your services with us so far, and I can certainly give you some more information regarding the Virtual Channel Override (also known as simultaneous substitution). The simultaneous substitution is in place to promote Canadian content and has been extended to all of Ontario, not just those within the Toronto viewing area. The simultaneous substitution should be a seamless transition from the US content to Canadian content, with the only differences for the most part being the advertising. We will certainly forward your concern regarding the areas that this affects.

Signal substitution is done to bring millions of advertising dollars back into the Canadian broadcasting system. The CRTC has a duty, under the Broadcasting Act, to foster a strong and financially viable domestic industry. When broadcasters buy programs from American and Canadian producers or networks, they pay for exclusive distribution rights in their home markets. The simultaneous substitution regulation, set out in the CRTC Cable Regulations, is designed to protect those rights. These regulations permit Canadian broadcasters who purchase American programming, to use signal substitution as a means to earn advertising dollars. While currently Global has begun to use simultaneous substitution, it is certainly possible for other channels to do so as well, although I do not have any information if any others will do this.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. Please include any previous correspondence with your replies.

Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct,"

Is this even legal to do if you aren't within range of a broadcast tower?
post #132 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

No, and that's the thing! Shaw Direct was the best at implementing the simsubs, as they did it by the postal code of the receiver. Only those in range within the broadcasting transmitter suffered through the simsubs.

Since they have bought Global, they have changed their practices, to put more pocket into a station they own, as they will of course get more eyeballs on Global's ads if they do the simsubs. Only Thunder Bay is exempt, since the Global affiliate there is independently owned, and Shaw did not purchase that one as part of the deal! So it's very obvious what Shaw has done here.
post #133 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 11:31 AM

I sent a point blank reply saying that since they have not received a blanket exemption for simsubs like Bell TV, doing this violates CRTC regulations and is particularly distressing since it is only happening with Global - a network they own.

I will take this to the CRTC, but my concern is that Shaw will just try to get the same blanket exemption that Bell has, albeit they would have a much harder time justifying that considering the technology they have at their disposal.
post #134 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

I also told them thanks for removing it, but then I did go onto state that they can't do this just because they own Global now, and I also warned them I will report them to the CRTC if it does comeback. But I guess it is already there for people who don't know about this opt out option, so maybe the CRTC should be advised anyways right now?

A few years ago for the SuperBowl, Bell tried providing a separate direct US feed (that popped up on one of their higher channel numbers just for the game that Sunday). The CRTC stepped in and stated that they couldn't deviate from their simsubbing ways. So the same situation should apply here, albeit in an opposite sense, because, like you said, Shaw already has the technology to do things exactly wrt simsubs.
post #135 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 11:55 AM

I have to wonder why some people are being offered the opt-out and others are getting the canned "we do this because we love you!" replies? I wonder if it has to do with me being near Toronto (if 160km by car and 100km by the crow is considered "near") but not near enough to get a reliable off-air signal?

The funniest thing of all - Global had a transmitter in Fort Erie on Channel 55. They shut it down rather than converting it to digital as part of the digital transition at the end of last month. I'd be serious about taking this to the CRTC. You can't have it both ways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in