Shaw Direct Simsub discussion - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 09:10 PM

Survivor HD is coming in fine here in BC without a simsub. Maybe they are just doing it to Ontario this time around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 09:43 PM

I noticed Craig Ferguson was simsubbed Global HD Toronto on CBS HD Detroit last night. Was quite surprised because I've never had anything simsubbed before, and Fort Erie isn't exactly in any of the Toronto transmitters' Grade B contours, albeit post-transition Global probably comes closest.
post #108 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 11:06 PM

Looks like they are only simsubbing Global. My wife was watching the new Christina Applegate show (Up all night?) and we had the NBC feed not the CTV feed.
But both Survivor and Big Brother were simsubbed.

post #109 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 01:20 AM

Location: Elliot Lake, ON: Shaw Direct HD-DSR605, Toshiba 34HF83, Yamaha DVD S1500 NTSC-PAL Region Free
Angry Wednesday Simsubbing in Elliot Lake

Same problem here in Northern Ontario.

We had Global Toronto HD subbed over CBS Detroit HD last night for Survivor and Big Brother.

Just wrote a blistering letter to Jim telling him "enough is enough"!

We joined Shaw Direct (Star Choice) in 2006 primarily because of the no simsubbing plus two US feeds.

Wonder if anyone in the east has tried to see if reconfiguring their channel choices has any effect.

Currently I have "East Feeds Detroit with PBS Buffalo" as my primary choice.

My "Nets Theme" choice is West Feeds Spokane".

Just wondering if changing to "West Feeds Spokane" as my basic/essentials choice and making "East Feeds Detroit with PBS Buffalo" as my "Nets" theme would provide ammunition for complaint.

Paying extra for "Nets" and having a free channel substituted sure sounds like breach of contract for non-performance to me.

Methinks it really is time to consider dumping Shaw.

Much as I dislike Bell they do have a better HD selection!
post #110 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 12:02 PM

Go North Everyone!

I got this response from Shaw Direct via Twitter:

"Ontario will be sim-subbed by Global Toronto unless you are within 75 km of Thunder Bay or Kenora"

Guess it is time to leave Southern Ontario.....or watch all programs on the West Feed.
post #111 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 02:58 PM
Veteran

What about CTV Toronto? Bell can't just pick CTV and not sim-sub Global so I assume Shaw D is the same? I also just talked to a buddy down east and he just "moved" his service address out of sim-sub range.
post #112 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 04:13 PM

What would be a simsub free service address zone in Ontario or Quebec? ie anything in the Eastern Time Zone

This while I evaluate whether I stick with SD. I have been with them for a long time but they really have lost any sense of being customer focused.

LONSat
post #113 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 05:16 PM

Until they put the rest of the network feeds in HD, I'll be simulcast free. Even then, because of my unique location with regards to Daylight Saving Time, I'll only get them for 6 months of the year.
post #114 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 06:36 PM

Here is the email exchange I had:

Quote:
I noticed you starting simsubbing Canadian Netowrks over American signals.

Being in Sudbury I do not and should not fall into the Toronto region and I shouldn't be getting simsubbed.

Please tell me this temporary and will stop shortly. While I've only been a customer for two months, I really enjoy the service and programming. However, I am so anti simsubbing, if this practice continues I will have no choice but cancel my service and find an alternative service provider.

Thank You.
Their reply:

Quote:
Hello Derek,

We understand your concerns and frustration regarding the signal substitution however, due to some recent changes your area is subject to having this occur.

Signal substitution is done to bring millions of advertising dollars back into the Canadian broadcasting system. The CRTC has a duty, under the Broadcasting Act, to foster a strong and financially viable domestic industry. When broadcasters buy programs from American and Canadian producers or networks, they pay for exclusive distribution rights in their home markets. The simultaneous substitution regulation, set out in the CRTC Cable Regulations, is designed to protect those rights. These regulations permit Canadian broadcasters who purchase American programming, to use signal substitution as a means to earn advertising dollars.

We do have an option that may assist you and I would be pleased to discuss this with you at your convenience. If you would like to reply to this email with a convenient time and number I may reach you I would be pleased to call you. Please be aware I am available Monday to Friday 9am to 2pm MST.

Thank you,
Jennifer
I missed her call today but she left me a message saying she would call back tomorrow. I'm really curious to see what this option is.
I will keep you all posted.
post #115 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 09:37 PM
Veteran

Very interesting.

Maybe you will have to pay a "no simsub fee"....
post #116 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 08:47 AM

Angry Disband the CRTC

I think if you don't live within an hour of a local broadcast station, they you should not be subject to sim subbing. Like most people outside of the GTA we don't care about the local Global Toronto news or commercials. The only sim subbing I should see is CTV2 London. This CRTC crap has to end, as a consumer we should be able to choose which commercials we want to see, and in reality most of us get up and go to the bathroom during the commercials, fast forward them or channel surf. If CRTC wants to do something positive for Canadians then fund original programming which most of these channels don't have.
post #117 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 09:50 AM

Has anyone complained to the CRTC?

The general CRTC rule is that the BDU is only authorized to simsub within the grade B contour of the local station. There are some exceptions, such as Bell, which was granted an exemption from Day 1 because they didn't have the technology to overlay the feed based on location.

I recall reading a CRTC proceeding against a cable company for not following the rules, so there may be hope.

Has anyone that is affected filed a complaint with the CRTC? I haven't reread the entire thread, but I don't recall seeing a response from the CRTC.
post #118 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 10:33 AM

Sub sim

I sent my complaint to "Ask Jim" as well and received two emails back. One was from Jennifer offering to speak with me about the issues but only between the hours of 9 am and 2 pm. As I am at work during that time and hard to reach so I emailed her back and asked if their was someone else who could speak to me about this during the evening hours. I did not get a response back however I did receive a second email from a different person who indicated that he would adjust my receiver account settings in such as way as to address my concerns. This "adjustment" is to happen today so I will be checking over the weekend to see if or to what extent the sub simming is still occuring.
post #119 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 01:49 PM
Veteran

Translation: We own global, so we are attempting to force simsubs on you.

Since simsubs are performed by Virtual Channel override, it is completely possible to exclude the receivers on your account from the simsubs. So, if customers receiving out of zone simsubs complain, we can be exempted?
post #120 of 396 (permalink) Old 2011-09-16, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I put in a formal complaint to the CRTC recently, but still haven't received word. Shaw Direct can't change their simsub ways just because they bought a station now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in