Shaw Direct Simsub discussion - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #166 of 402 (permalink) Old 2011-10-11, 09:31 AM
Veteran

This is just sloppiness (or negligence) on the part of Shaw. They should be monitoring simsubs but, AFAIK, they don't and never have. To make it even worse, they are doing these bad simsubs with Global which they own. I saw an HD show simsubbed with an Global SD feed the other night, I think a complaint to the CRTC is in order.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 402 (permalink) Old 2011-10-11, 09:59 AM

Angry

I was watching Terra Nova and I got the same simsub.It really pissed me off!. I reseted the receiver which got me back to Fox, untill the first advertising when the simsub was forced back! Well I set the recording for FoxW at 11 so I hope I will be finally be able to watch Terra Nova to the end, today.
post #168 of 402 (permalink) Old 2011-10-11, 05:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
I saw an HD show simsubbed with an Global SD feed the other night, I think a complaint to the CRTC is in order.
Is it possible that was on Thursday night when all of the HD feeds were down and replaced with SD feeds?

post #169 of 402 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
Is it possible that was on Thursday night when all of the HD feeds were down and replaced with SD feeds?
No, it is not. All HD channels were working fine. Fox wa delayed by some sports events and they pushed all programing further. So Fox Terra Nova overlapped with Global House, and they simsubed Global House over, about middle of the show !
Fortunately I recorded it on the West feed and watched it next day.
post #170 of 402 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 04:38 PM

any Simsubs in Montreal, on HD channels ??

Hi everyone,

If I were going to get Shaw Direct, instead of Videotron, in Montreal, would I get a lot of simsubs on the American HD channels?

On Videotron, in prime time, two of the four American networks on average are simsubbed at the same time. Which leaves two that are not simbsubbed. Sometimes 3 are simsubbed, but not often. Jay Leno and Letterman are not simsubbed. I used to have Bell, and everything was simsubbed, 95% of the time. Or at least it seemed that way.

What could I expect if I went with Shaw Direct?

Thanks,

Last edited by 57; 2012-01-04 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
post #171 of 402 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 09:34 PM
Veteran

I know you would be ok on the West HD Feeds for sure and as far as I know Shaw D has no HD Signals from Montreal, So in theory you should be ok
post #172 of 402 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 09:38 PM

i got no Simsubs here in Montreal
u should be OK if they dont screw it up !!
post #173 of 402 (permalink) Old 2012-02-12, 10:08 AM

Last night I noticed that they substituted Global Toronto HD over NBC Detroit HD for Saturday Night Live. Sooo, they have either boosted the OTA HD signal for that station and I can now pick it up in Alberta, or someone new was working and didn't realize they were suppose to only do it for the Toronto/Southern Ontario region or since they own Global they have decided to do this for all of the country on Global shows now.

I'm really hoping it was a mistake as no signal substitutions is one of the few reasons to be with Shaw Direct for those of us outside of Southern Ontario. I PVR all of the shows I watch anyhow so it doesn't make any difference if I skip over American or Canadian commercials but its the quality of the substituted signal and the timing of it that I am more concerned with as when I have had to endure them in the past I often either saw beginning or end portions of the show being substituted twice and either miss portions of the show preceding or following it.

In the case of last night's SNL substitution, I noticed the horrible audio/video moment, like a lost signal, when they started and ended the substitution and of course the pleasure of seeing 2 station bugs on the screen (one for NBC and one Global) during the show. I didn't notice any difference in the quality of the signal from what I am use to from NBC so that was a good thing.
post #174 of 402 (permalink) Old 2012-02-12, 10:13 AM

A new round of simsubs on Shaw Direct?

Here in Alberta, on SNL last night the HD version from Detroit was simsubbed with Toronto Global TV. The SD version was not. It was rather badly done, about a minute into the opening sketch. Will we be seeing a lot more of this?
For sure with Global programs!
post #175 of 402 (permalink) Old 2012-02-12, 12:13 PM

Here in Windermere, we had the Detroit feed.

Sony KDL-52XBR4,SD DVR530/630,Tosh HD-A2 HD-A30, Pana DMP-BD65, Pio VSX-1015,Energy C3,CC100,ESM-4,S8.2, Engenius WAP
post #176 of 402 (permalink) Old 2012-02-12, 04:46 PM

Thumbs down

Simsubs were done also in Regina, watching SNL and they switched the HD feed to the Global HD feed, dissapointing, if I wanted to watch the Global Channel I would have had it on that network, not NBC Detroit.

Have to wait tonight to see what they will do with the Grammys since Global and CBS is broadcasting this event.
post #177 of 402 (permalink) Old 2012-02-13, 09:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Have to wait tonight to see what they will do with the Grammys since Global and CBS is broadcasting this event.
I was fully expecting the usual Global HD substitute on top of CBS HD Detroit but no, CBS ruled. That is very unusual for this location to be sub free.
post #178 of 402 (permalink) Old 2012-02-13, 12:16 PM

I noticed the substitution on SNL as well. I would like it to be my choice but I will take the Canadian feed over the depressing Detroit feed any day. Living in Manitoba, Detroit has no relevance to my life. We have enough murders in Winnipeg without watching the Detroit news.
post #179 of 402 (permalink) Old 2012-02-13, 12:21 PM

Could they have been doing "overnight" maintenance on the transponder and used a simsub to keep the program on the air?

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #180 of 402 (permalink) Old 2012-02-13, 08:53 PM

Currently watching House "on FOX HD" 287 ... being simsubbed by GlobalTV HD here in Vancouver. This is the very first instance of simsubbing that I have experience with Shaw Direct.

That fact that Shaw Direct did not simsub was one of the main reasons for subscribing to SD rather than Bell TV.

I have always felt that simsubbing is a violation of my rights. If I want to watch a program on a Canadian station I will do so, but I should have the right to watch it on an American station.

WOW TV is here! NTSC RIP!
Shaw Direct/Bell TV/Telus Optik

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in