GM1518 Winegard carryout - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

GM1518 Winegard carryout

Anybody try this portable unit for Shaw Direct, I am hearing they are a nightmare to setup??? Supposed to automatic search and lock for Rv's etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 10:49 AM
JCM

They are not designed for StarChoice, just for Bell, Dish and Direct TV only due to the LNB etc.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 12:12 PM

The GM-0700 is the model for Shaw Direct. Details are on Winegard's website.

We've got one here, there're actually really easy to set up. It automatically finds the satellite and then automatically switches between F1R and F2 satellites depending on what you're tuned to.

A couple of caveats...
- Based on the size, signal/ebno are lower than you'd see with a full-size dish. HD reception can be hit or miss depending on where you are. Pay attention to the advertised coverage area on the box and product documentation.
- You can connect to two receivers, but the dish itself only aligns to one satellite at a time. If you try to watch an F1R channel on one receiver and an F2 channel on the other, one of the receivers will not have signal.
- This product will not work with the HDPVR 630.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-04-19, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

The specs say F1 (107) reception only, so it can receive F2 as well?
Heard thru dealer channels that setup is a bitch, trouble with software, so you are saying no problems?
Need to know before I order some for resale, I have some presold just do not want any surprises...thanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-04-19, 10:57 AM
JCM

I am sorry, I was thinking of the "true carry out" product. This unit is complicated and looks like a pain to use. I think the only thing "carry out" is the fact that one can lift it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-04-19, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Guy View Post
The specs say F1 (107) reception only, so it can receive F2 as well?
Heard thru dealer channels that setup is a bitch, trouble with software, so you are saying no problems?
Need to know before I order some for resale, I have some presold just do not want any surprises...thanks.
Hi Sirius Guy,

Since this is a product made by an external company and not sold by Shaw Direct, I can only speak to my personal experiences with the unit we have here.

The one that we have here can indeed get both F1R (107.3) and F2 (111.1). It only aligns to one at a time, but switches between them faster than it takes the receiver to change channels.

Whatever receiver is plugged into the "Primary" coax connection controls which satellite is tuned. If you connected 2 receivers and the "primary" was tuned to F2 and the "secondary" was trying to watch something on F1R, it would just give you no signal (or pull in the equivalent frequency on F2).

When you plug the dish into the power source, it takes upwards of 2 minutes to find the signal. It's all motorized of course, and once it locks on you're good. If you bump/move the dish, it doesn't realign and you have to disconnect/reconnect power to get it aligned again.

The skew must be manually set depending on region, as noted in the product documentation.

Here in Calgary, ebno's were topping out around 5.0 dB on SD channels. Anything 8PSK comes in less than 2.0, which won't provide picture. You might be able to do better with some careful skew adjustment, but I'm not sure if I'd count on that.

I can't speak to which version of software or hardware we've got here but really didn't see any problems with it. Again, this product is manufactured and supported by an external vendor so my knowledge is limited to what we've seen in hands-on usage.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-04-19, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

great thanks for the hands on experience and JCM this is a carry out, has a handle, looks the same as the GM1518
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 07:29 PM
Rookie

Winegard Carryout for Shaw Direct

If this unit will not work with a HDPVR 630..... what receiver will it work with??
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 07:37 PM
Rookie

Can you tell me what receiver will work... I have HD PVR 630's and cannot get them to work - I also have the HD600 and it won't work either!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in