HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandher57 View Post
No sign up my update yet... however I did notice that my trip count went from zero... to one... then up to two over the past couple of days. I thought it might be SD pinging my receiver to see if it was an opportune time to download the update. However this morning it's back to zero.
Shaw Direct cannot "ping" your receiver like a cable company. It is a one way street. Updates are done by messages received stating which serial numbers are to receive and unpack the update that is sent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 07:35 PM

I hit <Help>, which I presume is the one at the bottom right of the Shaw Direct remote, then <C>, which I presume is the yellow button in the centre of the remote, and nothing happens. Would you please clarify, SatMonkey? Which remote are you using? Thanks!

They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?
post #108 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 07:57 PM
Veteran

Press both buttons at the same time. It's abit slow to pop up on screen.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!

post #109 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 08:15 PM

I don't have to hit them both at the same time, just close together.

The display on the 630 should read cOn or cOFF

There is a lag before the captions appear or disappear.
post #110 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 08:37 PM

Ahh, yes! There it is! Very handy because I use CC a lot. Must have been too slow on the uptake, as usual. Thanks, everybody!

They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?
post #111 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 09:05 PM
Rookie

have noticed two problems

the first is that it did not keep it's place in House when watching off PVR. it started from the beginning. also it randomly skips forwards 30 Sec when you start watching from the PVR not all the time but has done it twice on me now.
post #112 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 10:00 PM

Channel changing

Haven't had time to put it through its paces but I am amazed at the short time required to tune after changing channels. Nice!

The new space remaining indicator, as mentioned, needs to be changed.

This is definitely an improvement ... much more responsive.
post #113 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 10:55 PM
Rookie

video locked up

watching a show off the pvr and the video froze, could not excess the menu or options or anything. i could turn the receiver on and off and the sound came back but no picture. i had far less problem before this update. it is more responsive now but other then that it still needs much work. i do not know who test the firmware but they must not watch much Tv.as this is far from being ready for prime time(as they said).
post #114 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 11:17 PM

I actually find the last bit of your statment to be interesting in regards to the testers. If you look at video game world, the testers really have no say on when a product is shipped or launched. In this case, they do what they can to break it and submit any issues they find to the developers. They really have no say in when the product is launched further than saying they don't think it's ready. If the marketing/business side of things decide otherwise, then there really isn't much that the testers can do about it.
post #115 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-22, 04:32 AM

Multiple reboots last night during House at 1900 on Fox East. It was the only record. First real sign of trouble. I had LOD turned on since the new firmware. Turned it off.
post #116 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-22, 06:54 AM

Downloaded my update Sunday afternoon - about 25 minutes in total.

Since I was not experiencing many of the problems that other posters had reported, I was most pleased to see that the 'shrunken screen' when closing a SD PVR recording while watching a HD channel seems to have been fixed.

However....my ongoing problems with Fast Forwarding in PVR mode continue.

While watching a movie that I had recorded on PVR... fast forwarding through commercial breaks....
One push of the ff button works fine, albeit slowly.
Two pushes? It becomes iffy.
Sometimes you can scan through the commercial break without incident. However on Sunday while ffing through a break, the screen went black. Pressed the 'play' button and everything returned to normal. Pressed the fast-forward button once... then again....to get through the rest of the break... screen went black again.
This time, 'play' did not allow playback of the program to resume. So I hit 'stop" which brought up the on-screen error message regarding compatibility problems (the movie I was watching was SD, the background channel was HD).
So I changed channels to get rid of the error message (bringing both tuners to HD channels), and then back.
No audio on the HD channel that was broadcasting.
Changed channels again, down and back, and audio resumed on the HD channel that was selected for viewing.
I resumed watching the rest of my movie on PVR, however the progress bar would not come up at any point in time. When the movie was over, I had to do a reset to get the progress bar to come back up.

Hoping this can be fixed on the next update. It's an intermittent problem, and it can be avoided by using the other controls to jump ahead in 30 second increments.
post #117 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-22, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Signal Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post
Is it possible they artificially inflated the signal strenghst to fool the 630 into thinking it's getting a much better signal in order to avoid the tuner locks that were so sensitive to signal strength?
No. 04.06 brings with it a new method of calculating the signal level, designed to "normalize" the reading across 8PSK, QPSK, and the different coding/symbol rates. The most easily visible result is a higher reading for Standard Definition QPSK channels.

As mentioned by others, Ebno value is unchanged.
post #118 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-22, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

HDD Space Remaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
I do have one quibble, the indicator of the space available does not estimate the remaining time available.
Hi osmosis (and everyone else!),

One of the big challenges with providing the "hours" remaining is exactly what you stated - it's simply an estimate. Under 00.13, the true amount of space remaining varied greatly depending on the channel/content you were recording, along with the reserved part for LOD.

As we look to future broadcast methods, it becomes impossible to provide an accurate estimate of the true number of hours that could be recorded. SD, HD, MPEG4, 3D, etc. all vary dramatically in terms of how much space they take up.

Additionally, in order to fit the bar in the PVR List (which was a very popular feature request last Fall), it needs to be more compact.

The PVR is still self-managing, and will still automatically delete the oldest unprotected recording when space is needed. As you spend time with the software, you'll start to get an idea of approximately how much space gets freed up when you delete a recording. It's nice to now have that instant gratification, too
post #119 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-22, 11:54 AM

Is the "black screen of death" while fast forwarding through commercials a known issue?
post #120 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-22, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Absolute Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandher57 View Post
Is the "black screen of death" while fast forwarding through commercials a known issue?
Hi meandher57,

Is there a reason you don't use the Absolute Skip feature? It's one of my favourite 630 features, especially compared to other HDPVRs.

Just hit [2][SKIP FWD] and you'll jump ahead 2 minutes. For the vast majority of programs, it just takes an extra Skip Forward or Skip Back to get to exactly where you want. I find it much quicker than using FFWD.

We're still looking into this one, because it really hasn't come up much during any of the Trials!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in