HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-19, 11:52 AM

I would think the sleep timer would be more a function of the TV not the STB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-19, 12:16 PM

I pre-ordered mine and got it when it was out but I still didnt get the update.
I really hope to get it soon.
Everytime I watch a recorded show after a few minutes it either stops playing and goes back to live or it reboots.
The hard disk is not healthy with all these reboots and failing recordings.
Im sure a clean format would bring back the unit to health but I have too many recordings on it to lose.
post #63 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-19, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velix View Post
JMHO, gradual roll out in the field makes sense if something unforeseen goes terribly wrong. You would not want to incapacitate every receiver at once if that ever happens. It's better to start slowly and if everything is right, then you can pick up the pace.
So this is another "beta" and we are all testers.... again. Any testing I have done in the past always came with a perk of some kind.. Perhaps Shaw could give all the members a free PPV for thier troubles.

post #64 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-19, 05:19 PM
Rookie

With all the negative comments to do with this PVR I just thought I would put in my .02 and say that in general I have been happy with the unit.

I switched from Rogers (had an 8300HD) back when the unit first came out and although I did suffer from the occasional reboot and locked up tuner it really hasn't been enough for me to be too put out.

I find the new firmware update to be pretty good so far. The unit seems a LOT more responsive and snappy.

There are still some annoyances with the unit that I wish would get corrected but they are so minor I'm not going to get my feathers in a knot over them. The skip back a little bit when I hit forward happens all the time and I find it hard to believe that they can't track down that bug and squash it. The jumping to the start when I hit fast forward does happen once in a blue moon but it's certainly not the end of the world when it does happen and I just fast forward back to where I was.

With the latest firmware update I would say I'm just as happy with it as I ever was with the Rogers unit and hope that things only get better with future updates.

Darryl
post #65 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-19, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph2 View Post
So this is another "beta" and we are all testers.... again. Any testing I have done in the past always came with a perk of some kind.. Perhaps Shaw could give all the members a free PPV for thier troubles.
It's already been beta tested. Gradual rollout makes sense to me and that is how it is always done.

I remember back with my days at Expressvu when they did a firmware update that basically disabled the remotes...three weeks to reverse the update and correct the problem.

I am in no rush for the update...only on my 3rd reboot since August.
post #66 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-20, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochato View Post
The hard disk is not healthy with all these reboots and failing recordings.
Im sure a clean format would bring back the unit to health but I have too many recordings on it to lose.
This is not necessarily correct information.
post #67 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-20, 08:22 AM

I am also waiting for the update on my 2nd receiver. But I can say that my
1st receiver (with the update), does appear to be much faster. I notice they gave us the percentage of harddisk used, but I wish they wouldn't have taken away the hours for SD/HD. I see no reason for them to have taken this away, there was still room in the window to leave it there.
Other than that its been very stable.
post #68 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-20, 09:18 AM

Millstone,

You might be correct, but at least its a shot at having a stable machine again without losing all the recordings that it already has.
post #69 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-20, 12:21 PM

Here is an easy couple to test in the new firmware, if someone with it wouldn't mind checking:

Start playing back a recording. Pause it. Press "menu", look at the menu screen for a second then press "exit". Press "play". Does it start playing or open the menu again?

View recordings by "Program Name" and "Episodes". Navigate to a series where you need to delete something. So you have for example "NCIS" and "5 Episodes". Press OK to open the list and select one to delete and delete it. Press "Go Back" - How many episodes does it now say you have? 5 or 4? Also, of secondary interest, did you have to wait more than 10 seconds for it to actually delete your episode before you could do anything else?

I have read that the skip forward still rewinds on the first push, but what about when you are near the end of a recording and you just want to skip to the end to bring up the menu? Does it not let you skip forward when you have less than 30 seconds left like the 0.13 firmware?

I'm not targeted yet...but if these simple and obvious bugs are not fixed I will be less than happy.

I'm hoping that the new firmware gives me some reason to change my mind about this hardware. As it stands now I am convinced that it is "substantially different than described at the time of purchase", is "unfit for the purpose for which it was intended", and "is of substantially poorer quality than comparable goods commonly sold in the marketplace". The TOS tries to scare anyone away from attempting to enforce any implied warranty with regards to merchantability but you can not waive this right in many provinces, including mine. I figure 2 years is enough time to give the merchant a chance to repair his products that I have paid over $1,500 for?
post #70 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-20, 03:41 PM

OK, Update. Sort of. I was targeted somewhere in the past few hours.

I forced the download and about 22mins to 24mins into the process I heard the sound come back on (I had stepped out to another room). After checking all three items in my previous post and finding them to be the same, plus having the delayed-buffered-remote response in the PVR list (press multiple buttons trying to get a response then after about 10 seconds it does them all at once, plus waiting 10 seconds for an episode to delete, I was less than impressed.

Turns out I'm still at 0.13. Must have crashed during the update process. Don't know why this would surprise me at this point. Forcing it again. Hopefully better results the 2nd time around.
post #71 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-20, 04:03 PM

yep, same here - start of race no target update. 130 laps in and I got the target change to 4.06

So Maybe tonight is the big roll out
post #72 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-20, 05:12 PM

Glad I checked here today. I was targeted and it would have mucked up my recordings for tonight

Forced the download and all seems well. Took 45 minutes or so.
post #73 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-20, 05:32 PM

Also targeted tonight....downloading now
post #74 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-20, 05:41 PM

tico

Once you get the udate please let us know if the problems you described in your previous post still exist, or if they have been solved by this update.
post #75 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-20, 05:50 PM

I'm also in the 'targeted today' camp. I forced the d/l between the hockey games and it went off without a hitch - just took a while. I gave it a while to get lined out (populate guide data, etc) before I played with it, and it seemed solid. Nothing that always caused a crash before did so now; and the unit is much more responsive in general.

We'll see how she does with some use - but looks promising so far.

By the by, anyone else's signal strengths look different than before? I don't mean the screen; I mean the numbers themselves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in