HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion - Page 34 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #496 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-20, 10:49 PM
Veteran

I thought that most of the dropout and pixellation had been solved but I just gave up on GlobalBC evening news with dropouts and pixellation occurring every 30 seconds or so. Hope the language isn't too strong here but what a piece of garbage!
Shaw Direct fromerly Star Choice. I agree with the comment someone made here. Now I know why "choice" was removed. OMG I wish I was in the big city with choices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-20, 11:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Sometimes its impossiible to fast forward through these early start minutes. Don't know why never had this problem before. Somebody's doing Something strange.
Simsub glitches. Had similar problems with the 9200 when Bell started simsubbing. Shaw is using the wrong type of switching equipment and it causes breaks in the signal stream. That creates havoc with PVR recording and playback. I've seen programs that were impossible to watch due these types of signal breaks. I hope Shaw gets some decent switching equipment before simsubs become epidemic. Not holding my breath though. I've seen worse problems from Shaw that went on for years.

Quote:
I just gave up on GlobalBC evening news with dropouts and pixellation occurring every 30 seconds or so.
I've had similar problems. A power button reset will fix it, at least for a day or two. Don't know of a permanent fix.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #498 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-21, 08:37 AM

I can't believe we've gone through almost the entire season of 'The Ultimate Fighter' and it still isn't being marked as 'NEW' on Sportsnet. I've had to watch SD ('Spike TV') all season. Kind of makes the receiver obsolete when programs aren't marked correctly.

post #499 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-21, 02:25 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkev78 View Post
I can't believe we've gone through almost the entire season of 'The Ultimate Fighter' and it still isn't being marked as 'NEW' on Sportsnet. I've had to watch SD ('Spike TV') all season. Kind of makes the receiver obsolete when programs aren't marked correctly.
I agree, they need to get on the ball with this guide on Canada Most Advanced Receiver...

The latest Bellator Fighting shows have all been labeled as New, so that is no good as well, all the repeat shows get recorded too.
post #500 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-22, 01:25 AM

Turned on my 630 to catch Kitchen Nightmares that ran on Friday night, and much to my (not) surprise, it didn't record, nor did anything for the last 2 days, and all the channels were black.

Also, the unit is rebooting itself once a day, as evidenced by it turning on to channel 299 all the time.
post #501 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-22, 03:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I can't believe we've gone through almost the entire season of 'The Ultimate Fighter' and it still isn't being marked as 'NEW' on Sportsnet.
This is quite common with Canadian specialty channels. If it's any consolation, Shaw is better than Bell with this. There is still a problem with Canadian stations providing incorrect or insufficient information to listings providers though.

Millstone, first try a power button rest. If that doesn't work, try unplugging the 630 for 5 minutes. After that, a hard reset might be necessary.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #502 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-22, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I agree, who ever provides the guide info to Shaw Direct really blows. I have Curb Your Enthusiasm set to record all new and this week when I check upcoming recordings I see a new Curb on Showcase. When I press "info" and scroll right it show the episode aired in 2009.
post #503 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-22, 08:36 PM
QCK

Yes, the dates are off on many of the shows as well. Some new shows have a date of 2005...
post #504 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-23, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
This is quite common with Canadian specialty channels. If it's any consolation, Shaw is better than Bell with this. There is still a problem with Canadian stations providing incorrect or insufficient information to listings providers though.

Millstone, first try a power button rest. If that doesn't work, try unplugging the 630 for 5 minutes. After that, a hard reset might be necessary.
I appreciate the help, but that isn't a solution.
post #505 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-23, 09:02 AM
Veteran

There basically is no solution. You could try contacting the station. Some stations, like Showcase, sometimes doesn't even have the correct show information on their web site. The guide provider's own site (Zap2It) often has incorrect or missing information as well. There was one series on Showcase I wanted to watch but the total lack of correct information made the PVR go haywire and the show impossible to watch. Then they complain that Canadians use P2P or internet video too much. At least with that I can count on seeing the right episode at the right time. Now that Shaw owns Global it might get better but I'm not holding my breath.

post #506 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 11:13 AM

Pixilation woes continue.

Sunday night I recorded two shows at the same time... the Family Guy season ender on FOX... and Jessie Stone on CBS for my wife.

Sat down to watch Family Guy last night... yup... pixilated.

Haven't had a report yet on my wife's movie.

Seems to me the weather was fairly good Sunday night. I've sat through worse with good reception.... although that was while watching on a different receiver.
post #507 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 09:39 PM

I have noticed pixelation more often in the past few weeks

So SD, is this a problem that is never going to be fixed or are you working on something, ... anything.?
post #508 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-25, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Nothing has changed which should make pixelation better or worse. The following still holds true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 630 Support View Post
If locational factors (signal, cable runs, interference) have been ruled out, the pixelation is probably caused by the combination of channels the receiver is decoding on each tuner.

As long as nothing is being recorded in the background, change channels once and then go back to what you're trying to watch. This should resolve the issue. (For example, I can reproduce pixelation right now when tuned to CNN in the background, and watching CTV Ottawa. Tuning to 299, and then back to CTV Ottawa stops the pixelation.)

If you are recording something in the background, see if you can find the current program on a different channel and try watching it there. (For example, tuning to CTV Montreal instead of CTV Ottawa also stops the pixelation.)
We've got a candidate fix right now that we're still testing to get an idea of how things perform with the changes. If everything looks good and there aren't major side effects, we'd want to include this in the next customer download.

Also, being the time of year that the leaves come back, it may be worth checking to make sure there aren't any new line-of-sight issues developing. A tree branch blowing in front of the dish or a slight change in alignment caused by the house/fence/deck settling after the winter thaw may also be factors if things have gotten worse for you.
post #509 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-25, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

My sincere apologies on this one - we went back and forth with the Guide data provider a number of times and weren't able to get it consistently matched. As I've mentioned before, the broadcasters themselves need to confirm the updates and then continue to provide them each week. If they forget and go back to submitting the same old data they've always provided the next week, that's what goes in the Guide.

Everything comes from the broadcasters - the "NEW" flag included. Some PVRs actually reference the "Original air date" value instead of the NEW value when determining what counts as new, but this causes just as many problems in the other direction. There are programs which list today's date as their original air date (even though they're a rerun) or the show's original broadcast date (even though they're legitimately new, like the news).

Ultimately, we're still committed to working with all parties to keep the data as accurate as possible along with improvements to our "Smart PVR Technology" to keep the PVR as smart as possible. Keep reporting the issues you see and we will keep escalating them.
post #510 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-25, 01:24 PM

SD Support - thanks for your ongoing assistance and replies, and for continuing to monitor this forum.

It's always heartening to know that potential fixes are in the works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in