HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion - Page 33 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #481 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-04, 02:44 PM
Veteran

The remote for the 630 is pathetic. The buttons are poorly placed and the RF is typically sluggish as you have described. I resorted to using the older "Aspect" URC 550 remote from the 505 receiver.

I mainly use the Hot Link Pro remote control IR booster system which can control up to 6 emitters with provisions for 6 more. I use the Harmony 880 with the system. Most of my electronics is hidden from direct view. The 630 RF antenna has been removed. Any lag time is now in the 630 software itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-05, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Yes the remote on these units is not very powerful, although I have two
630's and one is fine while the other one is not. I'm sure i'll have to order a new remote in the not too distant future as the buttons will be worn out pressing so hard on them. Oh ya, i'm only sitting about 5 feet from the 630 unit with no obstructions.
Its not the remote that is not powerful enough, I believe its the PVR itself. This is my second PVR630, the first one the RF circuitry in the PVR failed and it had to be replaced. When I sent the old PVR630 to Shaw I was instructed to send only the PVR and to keep all the hardware. The new PVR630 came with all new hardware including a new remote. Both remotes act the same way, both are laggy and the PVR is sluggish.

As far as the price of the Harmony remote goes, I wanted this remote because I have a home theater system and have 4 friggin remotes. The Shaw Direct remote was used to power up all my equipment but was not able to control my Cenon AV receiver so I purchased this remote so that I could completely eliminate all these remotes.

None the less it shows that Shaw needs to have a good look at their RF system in this PVR because it is pathetic to say the least.
post #483 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-05, 07:49 PM

Question Version 4.06

Does any of this have to do with Version 4.06??

post #484 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 07:55 AM

Come of think of it, I never had this problem before the update
post #485 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Don't forget the batteries wear out over time, and may need to be replaced even if they're not 100% dead. Nothing has changed with respect to the remote in going from 00.13 to 04.06.
post #486 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 10:08 PM
Rookie

for what its worth, i extended my uhf remote antenna out (get infront of all the wires and electronics and a bit closer) with some standard coax and that helped alot with reception.
post #487 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-12, 08:49 AM

No Video no Sound

Since the update to 4.06 my 630 has been trouble free. No reboots, no broken recordings no pixilation. Last night however I did experience the no video no sound issue that others have reported. I know the SD630Support has mentioned that they have not been able to recreate this bug so I am just reporting what was going on when it occured on mine. I had two timed recording set for 8 pm eastern time - America Idol and Survior. I usually miss the 8 pm start time however last night I tuned in and started to watch Survior while still recording it and Idol in the back ground. I noted that Survior which I had set to CBS HD 322 had been subsimmed to Global's inferior picture. Thanks SD - note that I am not anywhere near the Global tower and this subsim is a total ps off and a direct violation of CRTC guidelines, but that for another thread. Anyway about 10 minutes into the show I lost the audio and video, had nothing but a blank screen. I was not doing anything with the remote at the time,, picture and sound just vanished. I tried switching to Idol and got nothing there either. I also tried pulling up a saved recording and while it allowed me to search through the recording list and play any recording there was no sound or video. The only resolution was a front panel reset. After the reset I soon had audio and video again and I entered channel 322 which is CBS HD and was able to continue on watching Survior. Until the guide loaded I stayed on 322 but after about 3 minutes there was brief screen blank and vola I'm back on Globals inferior softer crappy picture. The A B comparison was obvious. As you can see I'm more upset with the non-warranted subsim them I am with my receivers behavour. Lets hope Shaw Direct does not buy the Weather Channel next!
post #488 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-13, 11:38 PM
Veteran

Thumbs down And So It Begins...

Thursday: Five missed recordings. One was rescheduled at a later time on the west coast channel. It showed up as scheduled in the guide but didn't fire.

Friday: 1:00 AM and 1:30 AM. Two 30 minute recordings start and don't stop. These were two back to back shows on the same channel. Even worse, the show was deleted from the recording schedule several days earlier. They fired anyway. I noticed it that evening when I couldn't change channels. Two recording were taking place simultaneously when nothing was scheduled. Couldn't stop them, couldn't delete them, 630 was unresponsive. Time to do a soft reboot.

After the reboot: Two 0:00 shows in the recordings list. Deleted one, got 30% of the drive capacity back. Deleted the other and got another 30%. This also resulted in a loss of about 20 hours of recorded shows, that's on top of the 5 hours that didn't record. Thanks Shaw. I haven't experienced this type of crap since 5 years ago when the 9200 was first released. Canada's most advanced PVR?! I don't think so. Canada's most buggy PVR? Most definitely. I feel ripped off.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #489 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 08:01 AM
Rookie

Well it took a while to reproduce the issue, but it finally did. And Thank you SD 630 Support for pointing me in the right direction..

I just hit the aspect button on the 630's remote and "voila" guide is back.

Much easier than doing a front panel reset..
post #490 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 09:07 AM

I certainly have noticed that the new receiver is much more susceptible to the occasional bout of pixilation than my other receivers.

Of course the weather in our area has been far from ideal, but it is interesting how I can watch hours of television on my SD televisions with my old receiver with NO drop-outs, but once I start watching my HD set with the new receiver, the drop-outs appear.

IF I am recording something in the background, I can't change channels to see if that clears it up.

Does the new receiver require a stronger signal?
post #491 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 09:35 AM
Veteran

The dropouts and breakups are a receiver issue. I have a very strong signal and still get them frequently. Performing a power button reset can get rid of them for a day or two, or maybe not. I've seen this receiver completely fubar even after a power button reset. I feel ripped off by Shaw, again.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #492 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 10:34 AM

Yes, I must say after purchasing (2) of these receivers, I only have one that I can even remotely rely on. So any program I want to record, I've been doing it on both receivers using one as a backup to the other one. Shouldn't have to be doing this whatsoever.
post #493 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 11:34 AM

I was watching a movie I recorded the other night and right in the middle of playback the receiver rebooted. I wasn't recording anything else at the time either. I hope these glitches can be worked out since it a great machine when it is working.
post #494 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 11:43 AM

I have recently noticed that programs that have been recorded and you have them start3 minutes early, and end 3 minutes later, have a red line on the green bar at the beginning and at the end. Sometimes its impossiible to fast forward through these early start minutes. Don't know why never had this problem before. Somebody's doing Something strange.
post #495 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 11:49 AM
Veteran

I agree with ScaryBob that this pixelation and dropouts are receiver based. Was watching something last night that was pixeling very badly, channel upped one channel and then back down, the pixelation was gone! It's annoying and I hope they can fix this with the next update.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in